How badly do we want this??

Options
Okay, I want to drop 50lbs. I've been wanting to drop that amount for the last 4 years. Why haven't I done it? Why haven't I lasted more than 2-3 weeks without throwing in the towel? I see results when I begin and then I just develop an "I don't really care" attitude and give up. But I do care.

Does this happen with anyone else?

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head. Everyone has a choice to make.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think you should have made the title of this "How badly do I want this". It's not anyone else's journey to lose your weight, just yours.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    It helped me to break up the goals into smaller ones so I could stay motivated. I also had a fitness goal and enjoyed progressing with running and other exercise. Maybe you could try that instead of just setting an end goal weight and facing months and months without feeling properly rewarded. Some people pay themselves to lose weight, too, so much for whatever pounds, or reward themselves periodically with trips for clothes, a movie, music, anything that isn't food related. So you could try that, too.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head. Everyone has a choice to make.

^ this. The only person holding you back is yourself. Defeat the voice in your head that tells you to quit and don't look back.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Used to happen to me all the time. About 4 years ago (before I started here), one of my best friends even asked me why I thought I gained the weight back after my last diet was fairly successful. At first I blew it off as a "the past is the past and I don't want to harp on it" thing because I was doing well with my current attempt. But I couldn't get it out of my head so I gave it some thought and realized that a big part of it was being to hard on myself. I'd diet like most of us do - cut out all the supposed bad foods and workout like a fiend - so it was no wonder that a month or two down the road I'd be burned out and miserable and decide that I'd rather be happy eating what I liked and being lazy than being skinny and miserable.

That goodness I figured out that there is a happy medium (and boy do I love living here!)!! You don't have to starve yourself and you don't have to cut out all the foods you love and you don't have to work out 2 hours a day. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. If you're also looking to improve health and fitness, eat a well balanced diet, including the occassional treat and get some regular activity in. That's somewhat of an oversimplification but generally true for us all.

Set small reasonable goals. Don't be so hard on yourself. Be patient and as consistent as you can be.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Your methods might be in for an examination.

Generally if you want it bad enough you will make it happen. But if your methods are unsound you're setting yourself up for inevitable failure. Now might be a good time to take a good, hard, critical look at what you're doing and why you're failing.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Okay, I want to drop 50lbs. I've been wanting to drop that amount for the last 4 years. Why haven't I done it? Why haven't I lasted more than 2-3 weeks without throwing in the towel? I see results when I begin and then I just develop an "I don't really care" attitude and give up. But I do care.

No, this doesn't happen with me, But have you thought about trying to loose one to five pounds at a time rather than 50? I know that I would do better thinking of it in a smaller number. Fifty pounds seems like so much, one to five pounds doesn't.

You can make this happen!
  • msangi82
    msangi82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand how hard it is. I've struggled for years as well. Its a matter of making up your mind and pushing yourself. Sometimes I think posting blogs and asking for help really doesn't help unless your mentally ready to start making changes. Some people may not get "you" and understand that its "really" a struggle. They give you these answers that kind of make you feel like your not trying hard enough. I know for a fact because I think I will fail and so I never get started or I start and say yes I can do it and then start aching and feeling depressed because I have such a long road ahead of me.

I have friends who struggled with the same issue but they started making a difference for themselves and are doing awesome with amazing results and I am still stuck with 75 pounds to lose. Its true that its a mental stagnant.

So, I have made up my mind to quit asking for help on how to get motivated. I am starting to motivate myself. Pray about it and ask for endurance and mental motivation and help to endure the aches that will come along with this change. Keep smiling and stay positive. Take pictures of yourself, watch your eating, even if your don't log it on MFP all the time. Post your pictures in bathroom of where you are and where you want to be. You can do it! :wink:
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options

Generally if you want it bad enough you will make it happen. But if your methods are unsound you're setting yourself up for inevitable failure. Now might be a good time to take a good, hard, critical look at what you're doing and why you're failing.

After four years, what else can I possibly do to take a harder look?? I'm seriously asking you this.
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    I understand how hard it is. I've struggled for years as well. Its a matter of making up your mind and pushing yourself. Sometimes I think posting blogs and asking for help really doesn't help unless your mentally ready to start making changes. Some people may not get "you" and understand that its "really" a struggle. They give you these answers that kind of make you feel like your not trying hard enough. I know for a fact because I think I will fail and so I never get started or I start and say yes I can do it and then start aching and feeling depressed because I have such a long road ahead of me.

I have friends who struggled with the same issue but they started making a difference for themselves and are doing awesome with amazing results and I am still stuck with 75 pounds to lose. Its true that its a mental stagnant.

So, I have made up my mind to quit asking for help on how to get motivated. I am starting to motivate myself. Pray about it and ask for endurance and mental motivation and help to endure the aches that will come along with this change. Keep smiling and stay positive. Take pictures of yourself, watch your eating, even if your don't log it on MFP all the time. Post your pictures in bathroom of where you are and where you want to be. You can do it! :wink:

Nice post, thank you.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. It's not always fun. It's hard, miserable, and uncomfortable at first. But, something interesting happens after a few weeks. You reach a point where you realize what you've done is working and it's not quite as hard as it was when you started. So, you face the decision: stop now, or keep going?

If you don't have something in your mind that can galvanize and motivate you, then you don't have any reason to keep going. It's easier to quit and go back to old habits. But deciding to move forward and continue on is a decision that sometimes needs to be made every day or every hour or even every bite. The end result is you will lose that 50 lbs., you'll be healthier, and you will have succeeded in reaching your goal.

The first day I worked out, I puked afterward. Now, I'm nearly 1/3 of my way to my goal! It was only one decision that got me this far: working out the second day.

Hang in there! You can do it!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

After four years, what else can I possibly do to take a harder look?? I'm seriously asking you this.

A botanist could spend a week examining a car engine and never be able to tell that it won't stay running because of a failing fuel pressure regulator if he doesn't have the mechanical knowledge necessary to diagnose the issue.

In other words, you may not have the knowledge or experience necessary to identify the flaw in your methods.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Start with exercise if you don't do any, that is what honestly changed it for me - helped lower a lot of stress and what has managed to keep me going for a year. It's good to start with something new and something you don't do. Also don't restrict your diet too much and you have to learn to be extremely patient.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Perhaps you are just not yet ready to make a life-long commitment.

Perhaps you are pushing yourself too hard and fast during those 2-3 weeks when you have tried it so you end up feeling tired and hungry and therefore lose motivation.

Perhaps you see this big goal of 50lbs and it seems too overwhelming, rather than breaking it down into 1lb at a time.

Only you can really know why you're not succeeding.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Are you maybe trying too hard? Putting in so much effort to try to see results that what you are doing feels unsustainable. Maybe it isn't so much a case of "I don't care" as "I don't care enough to do this".

If you relaxed your expectations and tried to lose it slowly and with a minimum of struggle, you might find you need less motivation day to day. Try for small improvements, and don't push yourself to be perfect. You might find you are able to stick with it and reach your goal, albeit slowly.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

QFT.

It's mind over matter, but if you're shooting yourself in the foot every day your mind is not going to be right.

Rigger
  • Risrisris
    Risrisris Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • Risrisris
    Risrisris Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Used to happen to me all the time. About 4 years ago (before I started here), one of my best friends even asked me why I thought I gained the weight back after my last diet was fairly successful. At first I blew it off as a "the past is the past and I don't want to harp on it" thing because I was doing well with my current attempt. But I couldn't get it out of my head so I gave it some thought and realized that a big part of it was being to hard on myself. I'd diet like most of us do - cut out all the supposed bad foods and workout like a fiend - so it was no wonder that a month or two down the road I'd be burned out and miserable and decide that I'd rather be happy eating what I liked and being lazy than being skinny and miserable.

That goodness I figured out that there is a happy medium (and boy do I love living here!)!! You don't have to starve yourself and you don't have to cut out all the foods you love and you don't have to work out 2 hours a day. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. If you're also looking to improve health and fitness, eat a well balanced diet, including the occassional treat and get some regular activity in. That's somewhat of an oversimplification but generally true for us all.

Set small reasonable goals. Don't be so hard on yourself. Be patient and as consistent as you can be.

Solid and helpful advice. Consistency and small, reasonable goals are so, so important!
  • momma2kas
    momma2kas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ok...this absolutely happens with me! I think its just because I didn't want it bad enough. Now instead of focusing on getting skinny, I'm trying to focus on a healthy lifestyle. Its only been a couple of days but I haven't thrown in the towel yet. Feel free to add me...we can stick to this together!