Progesterone Cream For PMS???

Options
I battle EVERY month to fight these horrible PMS symptoms (especially the cravings). I heard someone talking about Dr. Oz recommending a natural progesterone cream to help with PMS and menopausal symptoms. I need to do something fast because my PMS literally sabotages all of my weight loss efforts each month. Two weeks out of each month I am totally committed to the program and have the strength to exercise and mental clarity to function throughout the day. THEN....PMS comes and I'm fatigued, unmotivated, anxious, bloated, and for the love of God ALWAYS hungry!!

Has anyone tried the cream or tabletsbecause I'm getting desperate it doesn't feel good to lose 3 lbs in 2wks just to gain it back each month...

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    What about a low dose birth control? Have you talked to your doctor about it? I used to take Yaz specifically because of PMS... but now I just duke it out. And it's hard (I have PMDD), but water water water and a heating pad and self control (okay and moments of weakness) are what I deal with now.

For me it just worries me to add all those extra hormones. But I would definitely talk to your dr. Good luck!
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    What about a low dose birth control? Have you talked to your doctor about it? I used to take Yaz specifically because of PMS... but now I just duke it out. And it's hard (I have PMDD), but water water water and a heating pad and self control (okay and moments of weakness) are what I deal with now.

For me it just worries me to add all those extra hormones. But I would definitely talk to your dr. Good luck!

Birth control doesn't agree with me (migraines). I was on Yaz awhile ago but don't know if my doctor will prescribe BC if I'm "fixed." When I spoke to her she told me I had high levels of estrogen (really???...you don't say). She was recommending the bioidentical treatment. Which from my understanding is pretty much the same as the progesterone cream (in my case because I'm high on estrogen) but in the form of pellets that is put underneath my skin on my arm or buttocks.

I read a few reviews on Amazon and women really seemed pleased with the progesterone but they mostly used it for menopause. I'm more concerned about using it for PMS.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I really would not do it without close dr supervision. There are just way to many risks. I would talk to your dr about what the best treatment for you would be, they might prescribe progesterone you never know.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have used Progonol cream and Phyto-B tablets under the direction of a dr. They are both made from only phyto (plant) estrogen/progesterone. Both are made by a co. called Bezwecken and you can order them w/o an rx over the internet. The cream used to work well for me until I got into peri-menopause - now I need the tabs. Look them up on the 'net - there's tons of info about them out there. Maybe you'll want to try one. You don't really have anything to lose except a few dollars. :smile: Good luck - I know how bad all these "female troubles" can be!!
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have used Progonol cream and Phyto-B tablets under the direction of a dr. They are both made from only phyto (plant) estrogen/progesterone.

I should mention that if all you need is progesterone - the Progonol cream or Progonol tablets would be best - they are only plant progesterones - the Phyto B also has plant estrogens and it sounds like you don't need that. Ask your doc.
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    My doctor prescribed progesteron tablets for extreme PMS. I lost 8 pound of FLUID in 6 hours.. But this must be prescribed and monitered by a gynacologist or endrocrinologist who knows what they are doing. You definitely don't want to mess with hormones on your own at any time. It can really be dangerous. Most people who prescribe these things who are not MDs are quacks and are just after your money. Taking some homeopathic meds is like taking illegal drugs because you never know what is really in it or if is effective. It is money down the toilet in most cases and may be harmful. Some MDs , like the local guy who speciailzes in weight control, aren't much better because he practiced fad things that were not approved by the AMA or the FDA and had his hands slapped. For instance, he injected people with horse urine for a huge price and it was proven not to be effective.