Struggling badly with this maintaining

Options
I really struggling I didn't think it would be this hard. Thought I had learnt over the last year how to eat properly but I don't seem to be able to say no to food cravings.

At least when I was losing I new which way I was going. I want to gain more muscle and workout quite abit. Don't no what to do about the craving for sweet things. I have set my calories to 1500 and have only fluctuated half a pound both ways. I don't generally hit that target. I don't eat my calories back.

Breakfast is general under 200
Lunch under 400
Dinner under 500
Snacks are all over the place

Exercise is running 3 times a week, traditional circuits Wednesday, boxing class Thursday and every other Sunday HIIT circuits I'm also doing a January challenge which is push up, crunches and squats every other day. The days in between are plank, wall sits and chair dips, " rest" every 4th day

Any advice is much appreciated

Claire x

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I really struggling I didn't think it would be this hard. Thought I had learnt over the last year how to eat properly but I don't seem to be able to say no to food cravings.

At least when I was losing I new which way I was going. I want to gain more muscle and workout quite abit. Don't no what to do about the craving for sweet things. I have set my calories to 1500 and have only fluctuated half a pound both ways. I don't generally hit that target. I don't eat my calories back.

Lunch under 400
    Dinner under 500

Exercise is running 3 times a week, traditional circuits Wednesday, boxing class Thursday and every other Sunday HIIT circuits I'm also doing a January challenge which is push up, crunches and squats every other day. The days in between are plank, wall sits and chair dips, " rest" every 4th day

Claire x
    I'm not surprised you're struggling, you must be starving!

There may be issues to address regarding hunger, appetite, cravings etc, but first you need to work out how much you really should be eating. If you're not eating back exercise calories, then you're using the TDEE method, and I seriously doubt that someone your age, doing all that activity, is only burning 1500 calories a day. I bet you could maintain on a lot more than that.

From previous posts, it looks like you've only been eating at this level for about 2 weeks? That's too soon to really tell if it's the right maintainence level. There's quite a good explanation of this here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut Not only that, but people often find that they have a maintenance range rather than one fixed amount of calories, so I'm sure you could raise your intake by quite a bit.

I think you're still probably eating at a fair deficit, and so it's no wonder really that you're having uncontrollable cravings.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That also sounds too low calories for maitaining to me
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's a struggle for me every day not to fall into bad habits. I wish I had embraced that fact sooner in my maintenance phase.

Not much I can do but say I've been there too. Hang in there.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Others have done a great job of addressing your need to re-evaluate your calorie intake, so I want to go in a different direction. When you talk about "cravings" - do you mean you're generally starving all the time and just want to eat eat eat (which might be attributed to you just eating too little)? Or do you mean there are particular foods you cannot seem to resist and keep giving in to, such as cookies, chips, pizza, cheese, and the like? If the latter, then there's a strong chance you had some food dysfunctions to begin with, which weight loss does absolutely nothing to curb. This is because the problem resides in the brain. I just want to evaluate what's really happening here and then I can address the issue. Thanks.
  • ummmmm84
    ummmmm84 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding.I was going to see how it went on 1500 and if my weight stayed around the same and then up it. I have upped my exercise because I can't pick a class because I like them all and I don't want to give up running. I don't eat my exercise calories back unless I have gone over like today

I'll have a read of the link too.

When someone said losing it is the easy part I didn't believe them but I'm slowly changing my mind. I'm so worried I'm going to put it back on as well.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Lunch under 400
    Dinner under 500

Claire x

How tall are you? You're eating really low calories for maintenance. I continued to lose with MFP's maintenance calories so I ended up going with the TDEE method and it was spot on for where I needed to be at, which is around 2,200 calories a day (5ft, 6in). I'd enter your info into a TDEE calculator and see what number it comes up with :) I like this one-
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How did you come up with 1500 cals to maintain?
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    When someone said losing it is the easy part I didn't believe them but I'm slowly changing my mind. I'm so worried I'm going to put it back on as well.

Again, this is probably because you have some unhealthy ways of thinking about and interacting with food. Just because you reach a certain goal weight does not mean you just "fix" the problems in your head. They follow you allllll the way down the scale. Just ask all the folks on the maintenance boards who lost 50, 60, 70 lbs and STILL think they look fat! You gotta address the head issues as well as the body issues.

What kinds of food are you craving?
    What do you do as a result of the craving (i.e., obsess about the food your craving but hang on by your fingernails until you sweat, binge then feel guilty, binge then "purge" by vomiting, taking ex-lax, or working out even harder than ever, etc.)?
    How often do you crave?
    What times of day do you crave?
    Do you feel "weaker" against the craving at particular times a day?

Getting your feedback on these questions can help us assess and address this particular issue for you.....
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining on 1520 ish for around a year and I don't do as much exercise as you. BUT i do eat all my exercise calories back. I know it's scary thinking you'll gain but i do think you should be eating more. Even if you only start off eating your exercise calories back. Good luck!x
  • heatherdhart
    Options
    Hey Claire,
    I have lost about 60+ lbs and I have learned many things on my journey. With activity we must increase our calories. I got to the point that I actually was in a plateau for a long time, but then I began to change my foods rather than just the amount of them. I also began to make sure that I compensated for my exercise. Clean eating and proper nutrition is key for maintaining. There are several factors that can be leading to you r problems. I would like to hear more. I am a Wellness Coach and would love to do an evaluation on you!
  • delgadodelgado1120
    delgadodelgado1120 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can relate to where you are in your journey. I have lost 185 pounds and Im struggling to continue to get lower. I am at 157 now, my lowest was 153. I am also having a hard time adjusting for calories in versus calories out. I have food cravings at night also and i am also very active. You have great advice here. Listen to them. First and foremost, remember that nothing you do cant be undone so feel free to take risks with your diet plan. Try increasing, try more veggies, but most importantly make sure you are feeding your body right and not under feeding it.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I tried to figure out my TDEE but slowly realise it will never be a fixed number. I am still exercising for more than 8hr per week. On days I don't exercise, I overeat. I let myself go and eat up to 3000kcal, mostly thanks to snacks. When the weight creeps up a little, I switch to weight loss mode, eating just my standard meals and cutting out all snacks (except fruits) for a week while continue with the workouts. My maintain range is around 3kg (6.6lbs).
  • ummmmm84
    Options
    I'll try and address some of the things that have been mentioned the the responses. I have set my calories for now at 1500 I have only been maintaining for 2ish weeks. I chose 1500 because mfp put me on think it was 1480 which I wasn't eating. I was eating more 1300 just over every day. My target is to hit 1500 everyday. If I need to put it up I am happy to do so but I was going to give it a month and see if there was a gain or a lose over the month .

I do not believe I am starving because it has been happening after eating my meals. Generally my cravings are sweet things biscuits and cake which I have been eating through the year it has taken me to lose the weight but the cravings seem to have amped themselves up. If I was happy too I could probably eating a whole packet of biscuits.

I am 5"6. My worst time is in the evening to give in so to speak. If I crave something really badly I just eat it. No vomiting etc I don't do sick.

I don't want to lose anymore I want to start gaining more muscle.

ummm think that's it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'll try and address some of the things that have been mentioned the the responses. I have set my calories for now at 1500 I have only been maintaining for 2ish weeks. I chose 1500 because mfp put me on think it was 1480 which I wasn't eating. I was eating more 1300 just over every day. My target is to hit 1500 everyday. If I need to put it up I am happy to do so but I was going to give it a month and see if there was a gain or a lose over the month .

I do not believe I am starving because it has been happening after eating my meals. Generally my cravings are sweet things biscuits and cake which I have been eating through the year it has taken me to lose the weight but the cravings seem to have amped themselves up. If I was happy too I could probably eating a whole packet of biscuits.

I am 5"6. My worst time is in the evening to give in so to speak. If I crave something really badly I just eat it. No vomiting etc I don't do sick.

I don't want to lose anymore I want to start gaining more muscle.

ummm think that's it

5ft6 and MFP says your maintenance figure is 1480???? How much do you weigh?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Lunch under 400
    Dinner under 500

Claire x

Why you eating so little? Yes you're going to gain a little water when your calories go up, but it's not fat. Take time to find your true burns and maintenance cals. Take records of everything. The truth will set you free.

I'm 5'7" 128lbs and maintain on 1750 +, that's without eating my exercise cals back. I'm probably 20%bf and 43. Lifestyle is sedentary/light exercise Before exercise. Just a guide for you as we are sim heights.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

This is the hardest part about maintaining. It's a mental challenge.
    Believe in what you've learned while losing. It's scary to up your calories but you have to do it. While losing, your goal is to lose weight. While maintaining, your goal is to become comfortable with eating again. It's a struggle.

You have to eat enough for maintaining on a sedentary level AND for your exercise. I found that I didn't like "eating back" my exercise calories. It made each day too varied with what I could eat. I recalculated my calories using TDEE, which includes my weekly exercise. This way, each day's calorie requirement is the same. I found that easier to stick to. Maybe this would help you, too?
    I do less exercise than you do. I run 3x a week and practice tai-chi 3x a week. My calories are set at 1900 using TDEE. I've been maintaining on this amount for about 6 months now and it's working. I was worried about gaining at first, too. I'm using myself only as an example that you can up your calories and not gain.
    You will gain a few pounds at first. This is normal and is your body's way of rebalancing. But after that initial gain (which is mainly glycogen and required for your body), you will level out.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

This happened to me, too. I found my junk food craving went up when I first started to maintain. I think it's another mental issue that happens. It's as if your mind says "yay! Maintenance means junk food!". This feeling will go away in a couple of weeks when your mind adjusts.
    Maintenance is truly a mind game.
  • ummmmm84
    Options
    Mfp set my target at 1480 when I was looking to lose a lb a week. Now that I'm looking to maintain it went up to nearly 2000 which I do understand is what the average woman needs. I thought that was quite high so I thought I would try it at 1500 this is flexible and I did not want to increase to quick or to much.

I am 5"6 and now weigh 127lbs. In total I have lost 82lbs. The last year my weight lose has been my target as I was putting it all back on again. It took me a year in which I lost 60lbs.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've been chronically undereating during the entire loss process and now you've hit the maintenance trap at the end of a low-calorie diet. You're getting crazy cravings because your metabolism and hunger signals are "waking up" after long term suppression.

What I would suggest doing is adding 50 calories every two weeks until you get your calories up to near what your actual maintnance needs *should* be. Alernately, you could split the difference and add half the calories at a time and accept a bigger, more sudden gain. I would expect to gain 5-6lbs, but trust that they're temporary and will come back off after your body's metabolism resets, which I would expect to take about a month, more or less.

I know gaining a few lbs isn't the answer you probably want, but it's the one that will resolve your problems, allow you to eat normally, curb your cravings, and be much healthier long term.

Make sure to maintain strict control over your calories and macros *kitten* you add the calories though, it's very easy to swing the other way and overeat and end up on the upswing of a yo-yo, which you don't want at all.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I crave sweets if I eat a high carb meal (like pizza, pasta, bread). I had to cut that stuff to cut the cravings. It's not a popular option, but it's worked for me. Basically I avoid all grains and white potatoes.