Vibram Shoes??

Options
Anyone use Vibrams during their workout? I just purchased my 1st pair.
I can't believe how comfortable they are and what a difference they make in your foot and leg muscles.
Very impressed.

Vibram_fivefingers_Speed.jpg

Replies

• nut4crew
    nut4crew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I try to use them for everything but plyometric type workouts. Certainly notice the difference, especially during P90X's Legs & Back. Love them!
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I try to use them for everything but plyometric type workouts. Certainly notice the difference, especially during P90X's Legs & Back. Love them!

It's so crazy how many muscles we don't use in our feet on a daily basis due to the traditional shoe sole. Definitely felt some muscles being worked out in my feet.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

It's so crazy how many muscles we don't use in our feet on a daily basis due to the traditional shoe sole. Definitely felt some muscles being worked out in my feet.

I use another brand that doesn't have the toe things, and I love it. I will never go back to a traditional running shoe ever again.

PS. I only lift heavy
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

how come you don't like them for plyo's? I have found them to be extremely helpful for that!!!

I have 2 pairs- and then one pair of NB minimus.

No more sneakers- ever. Ever EVER.

Love my virbrams.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My brother is a barefoot runner though he started with the Vibrams. He gave me a pair this past Christmas and I wear them as often as possible whenever I am active. For me, it was the poor technique that was highlighted. I would take a large step and ultimately come down on my heel be it running or walking. Wearing the Vibrams, it is rather uncomfortable, so I have had to change my posture a bit and run with a bit more care for my joints and back.
  • nut4crew
    nut4crew Posts: 40 Member
    Options

how come you don't like them for plyo's? I have found them to be extremely helpful for that!!!

Love my virbrams.

I was told by the salesman they don't have enough support/cushioning, since plyometrics tend to take a toll on one's knees; for me, it's my back. Back pain is a common issue with me, I don't want to aggravate it any more than I already do with my current P90X/Insanity hybrid workout routine.:wink:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all I wear anymore are my vibrams & merrell gloves.

I do plyo work in my vibrams.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Love my virbrams.

I was told by the salesman they don't have enough support/cushioning, since plyometrics tend to take a toll on one's knees; for me, it's my back. Back pain is a common issue with me, I don't want to aggravate it any more than I already do with my current P90X/Insanity hybrid workout routine.:wink:

that's why you have knees.

shrug- if it's working it's working- I find them to be great for that- you have to learn to use your body better- which was one big perk for me.

But - like I said- if it's working- roll with it!! surprised the sales guy said that though to be honest.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I have a pair. I used to wear them running and I wore them when I was doing Insanity. The jumping along with my high arches messed up one of my feet so I can't wear them running any more because I need more cushion and I have a special thing that I have to wear under my toes.

I do like them though. They make good boat and water shoes.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I have a pair. I used to wear them running and I wore them when I was doing Insanity. The jumping along with my high arches messed up one of my feet so I can't wear them running any more because I need more cushion and I have a special thing that I have to wear under my toes.

Just be aware of what ^^^ she says.
    I also have high arches, and broke my heel running in Vibrams (a pretty large c-shaped fracture). With high arches, your foot never flattens all the way to the ground w/your steps, so the force is distributed into the other parts of your feet. No matter what your technique, this can spell injury for some when there's no cushion to absorb that shock.

I love how they feel, and I've worn them for other things (walking, non-impact stuff). But I'm not going to run in them again.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

I also have high arches, and broke my heel running in Vibrams (a pretty large c-shaped fracture). With high arches, your foot never flattens all the way to the ground w/your steps, so the force is distributed into the other parts of your feet. No matter what your technique, this can spell injury for some when there's no cushion to absorb that shock.

I love how they feel, and I've worn them for other things (walking, non-impact stuff). But I'm not going to run in them again.

Yup. I have high arches and I know exactly what you are talking about
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams for everything except my day to day when it's snowing.

Going to go Squat in them today. Aw yeah!
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams for everything except my day to day when it's snowing.

Going to go Squat in them today. Aw yeah!

Same here. 5 workouts a week and every single minute when it's not freezing and snowy. Love my VFF!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Yup. I have high arches and I know exactly what you are talking about

Thankfully I didn't break my heel. Mine is a pain beneath my toes on my left foot. I had erroneously thought it was a neuroma and did the one thing I shouldn't have done which was wear flip flops! When I went to the podiatrist he ruled that out, asked if I ran on the balls of my feet and told me it's because of my high arches. Flip flops are a big no-no for me, however I can wear platform ones without issue and he said that high heels with a platform are the best thing to wear. That was music to my ears! LOL I will never run or do any impact activity in my vibrams.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance Minimus shoes, they're alright. I still prefer my Chucks on leg day though.

Actually, I just prefer my Chucks in general.
  • cipote67
    cipote67 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to wear them for running and the gym....until just washing them wasn't getting the 'funk' out of them, so I abandoned them.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    I'm looking at buying a pair at present, actually. I run in my Merrell Barefoots and absolutely swear by them.
  • drose0
    drose0 Posts: 2
    Options
    I loved my VFFs when I bought them for running.. but about 2 months after I made the switch I injured my IT Band... whether the injury was relate to wearing VFFs, I can't say... but it has made me shy away from going back to them. That injury cost me 5 months of pain last year and still isn't fully better, so I'm not going to risk it.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Picked up my first vibrams quite some time ago and I LOVE them. I have yet to use them running, but am working toward that, just introduced my 0mm drop Merrell minimalist shoes to the treadmill (too much bloody snow for me to start this outside in some seriously dodgy footing). Just be aware of your form - I tried a barefoot shoe last fall and overthought my footfall, pretty sure I tried to do a solid 3mi all on my toes and my calves were knotted up for more than a week, massage and lots of loving notwithstanding.

Enjoy the feel just be aware that having toes separated can be a bit hazardous for the less graceful among us! ^_^
  • mkshortall
    mkshortall Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time for Insanity and P90X and hiking. Haven't tried them for distance running yet...