Rescued puppy that was left to die -what is he?

Options
13»

Replies

• dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Heeler
  • LeGaCyGiAnT124
    LeGaCyGiAnT124 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good to see you did everything you could for the dog. Great job!! I love our animals just as much as I do humans. It's hard to believe people can just put them down the way they do...
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Just an update for anyone still following this ...

We did get him to a vet (three times actually), he got all of his shots, got neutered and got a clean bill of health. He is approx 9 months old and vet believes he is full blue heeler.
    We got him fattened up and happy and healthy before he left. He is house trained (only goes potty outside), doesn't lick faces, responds to his name and was doing lots better on not chewing on things, almost had him broke on that.

He left just this past weekend for our friend's ranch. It really is in his best interest. We only have an apartment and he is so much happier with room to run. He always wanted out and I just didn't have the time for him that he needed. But, we can always go visit him and he is learning to be a true ranch dog now, he is really better off there.

Oh, my daughter named him Stryder.

Just wanted to say thank you for taking him in for a bit, giving him the care he needed and finding a suitable home for him. You and your family are awesome!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I believe most of the posters are correct. It is not an Australian Shepard - different breed and completely different look. We just picked up a red tricolor Aussie shepard for Christmas. Best of luck with the training and keudos for having a kind heart.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    FYI -- Does he have a tail or does it look docked?? If it does, google Australian Stumpy tail.

I rescued my little girl from a shelter thinking she was blue heeler/ cattle dog mix with a docked tail, took her to vet and found out I had a purebred Australian Stumpy tail (yes - actual name of breed. Breed from a blue heeler, border collie and dingo) which happens to be a very rare (and expensive) breed. Most vets and animal shelters do not have familiarity with the breed since it is so uncommon.

But my little Sydney is the best thing that happened to me! They are a great breed of dog!
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    what is he? He's abandoned. That's what he is.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You are great people, that b****** who did that needs torturing, baby animals are innocent like children, what a happy ending............. let me get a tissue :cry: :flowerforyou:
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    Just an update for anyone still following this ...

We did get him to a vet (three times actually), he got all of his shots, got neutered and got a clean bill of health. He is approx 9 months old and vet believes he is full blue heeler.
    We got him fattened up and happy and healthy before he left. He is house trained (only goes potty outside), doesn't lick faces, responds to his name and was doing lots better on not chewing on things, almost had him broke on that.

He left just this past weekend for our friend's ranch. It really is in his best interest. We only have an apartment and he is so much happier with room to run. He always wanted out and I just didn't have the time for him that he needed. But, we can always go visit him and he is learning to be a true ranch dog now, he is really better off there.

Oh, my daughter named him Stryder.
    That is wonderful! It sounds like Stryder's future is bright. Kudos to you for recognising that you didn't have the time necessary and doing all you did for him.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    i've been informed that he has a home now and is happy and rehabilitated.

Kudos to another pet rescue.
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    I was so happy to see this post, It sounds like you really put the pups best interest in mind and given that you are expecting, it's not great timing to take on a puppy. My sister has an ACD and they are wonderful, smart dogs but do require an experienced dog owner as they area working breed. :)
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    We will be taking him to the vet after pay day.
    He is going to need fixed too.

I Google Imaged Australian Cattle Dog and Blue Heeler Mix - I think this is him :) Thanks everyone!

Contact the closest pet shelter, ask them if they know of any place you can get help paying for his neutering, or if there is a low cost place to do it.... I have done my share of getting stray cats and dogs fixed, before finding homes. Ive worked with shelters in three states. Every place Ive been I have been able to get assistance with both spay/neutering, and rabies shots.

If you let them know he is a rescue, under the circumstances, you may be able to get help with everything. Good luck, and my heart goes out to you, your family and the pup. I hope he settles down for the kids. (I believe his breed even mixed are herders, they tend to love and protect your children, and herd them, with love)
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    blueheeler.trainpetdog.com/‎

I found some interesting information for you. On training, under 1 yr old and over 1 yr old.... Good luck.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I was so happy to see this post, It sounds like you really put the pups best interest in mind and given that you are expecting, it's not great timing to take on a puppy. My sister has an ACD and they are wonderful, smart dogs but do require an experienced dog owner as they area working breed. :)

Being pregnant is a small part of the reason why he was better off with someone else too. I tried to do everything I could for him. Life got in the way sometimes and I didnt have a lot of time for him. Being pregnant I didnt really have the energy for him though. He is such an energetic, high spirited dog and he would have been happy as can be with a 6 hour walk every day. But, even the days I did have the time, I just didnt have it in me - between morning sickness, low energy and everything else - I just wasn't up for it most days.
  • Lovely_77
    Lovely_77 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Definitely a blue heeler no doubt about it