10,000 steps pedometer, how do I add on my exercises?

Options
dlucio1
dlucio1 Posts: 25 Member
Does anyone know how to calculate 10,000 steps? I can't find this on MFP. I wear a pedometer daily and this is my goal, but I have not been adding this as my exercise. I don't have a clue how many calories I burn, nor minutes either. When I tried to add it on my exercises, it asks how many minutes. What am I suppose to put, 12 hours?

Replies

• flipflopmama10
    Options
    10,000 steps is approx. 5 miles. You could count it as walking at a slow pace. I count steps as well and try to reach 10,000 or more a day, but 6 thousand of them (3 Miles) are either from a walk or a walking video that I use. I tend to only count the 3 miles, as exercise.....but I am probably missing out by not counting all the steps :) I hope this helps and is not more confusing
  • sexybebe2012
    Options
    :0 About 2,000 steps is a mile.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I user a FitBit.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I user a FitBit.

^^this
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    10000 steps a day would put you into the active range. Maybe up your activity level instead of trying to nail down how many calories burned?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to calculate 10,000 steps? I can't find this on MFP. I wear a pedometer daily and this is my goal, but I have not been adding this as my exercise. I don't have a clue how many calories I burn, nor minutes either. When I tried to add it on my exercises, it asks how many minutes. What am I suppose to put, 12 hours?

Change your activity level..........even slow walking might be too high a calorie burn

<5000 steps/day may be used as a sedentary lifestyle
    5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity might be considered low active
    7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities considered somewhat active
    10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as active
    >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as highly active

Calorie burn depends upon many factors..........exertion level is one of them. FitBits & other pedometers don't know your exertion level. Your heart rate was not likely elevated for most of the 5 miles.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    honestly, if that's just your steps for regular daily living (walking to the bus stop, the printer, the cafeteria) i wouldnt add it as exercise at all.

again, just personal preference, but i'm a proponent of only adding deliberate exercise and not logging things like dusting and the walking you do throughout the day.

people can sometimes fall into the mindset of "Oooooo i dusted today so i have enough calories for cake!" (not saying youd do this, but its a slippery slope)

:drinker:
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    2000 steps ~ 1 mile
    1 mile = 80 - 100 calories (depending on current weight)

So theoretically, if you walk 10,000 steps, you have walked 5 miles. This means you have burned approx. 500 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    2000 steps ~ 1 mile

So theoretically, if you walk 10,000 steps, you have walked 5 miles. This means you have burned approx. 500 calories.

You have to be careful with "generic" numbers. 100 calories a mile!!

Wow - that would be grossly exaggerated for me. When I "walk" with Leslie Sansone DVDs I can come up to 100 calories a mile..........but the average speed is close to 4 MPH......that's really hoofing it.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Change your activity level..........even slow walking might be too high a calorie burn

<5000 steps/day may be used as a sedentary lifestyle
    5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity might be considered low active
    7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities considered somewhat active
    10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as active
    >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as highly active

Calorie burn depends upon many factors..........exertion level is one of them. FitBits & other pedometers don't know your exertion level. Your heart rate was not likely elevated for most of the 5 miles.

Very interesting! So is 10,000 steps a day considered active even if your heart rate was not elevated for much of it?
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    honestly, if that's just your steps for regular daily living (walking to the bus stop, the printer, the cafeteria) i wouldnt add it as exercise at all.

again, just personal preference, but i'm a proponent of only adding deliberate exercise and not logging things like dusting and the walking you do throughout the day.

people can sometimes fall into the mindset of "Oooooo i dusted today so i have enough calories for cake!" (not saying youd do this, but its a slippery slope)

:drinker:

When you sign up for MFP they ask you about what your daily activity level is. Mine was sedentary (sit at computer all day, sit at computer/tv all night, find a close parking spot, drive to the gas station). I might have hit 3000 steps in a day. I was burning around 2000 cals a day. 1200 cals was putting me at a 800 cal deficit.

Since then I have made changes, for example, I park in the boonies, i walk my dog multiple times a day on a 1 mile route, I think nothing of walking the mile to the gas station and back, and I normally walk around the building for my breaks. I now average 10,000+ steps a day, meaning I have more than tripled my daily walking.

Take a look at my tracker. See the chart? That is a typical day for me measured out in calories per minute burned. There is almost no difference between sleeping and sitting, but walking....that would be those spikes. Those spikes are about 800 calories more than I used to burn. 1200 cals would now have me at a 1600 cal deficit. That is on days I don't "workout".

On days I clean the house, or help run an event, I can easily hit 3000 cals burned...none of it is "workout".

There is this thing called TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)... a 130lb waitress spending her shift walking, bring food and drinks, followed by going home and keeping house for 3 people, burns more calories than a 185lb guy who spends 2 hrs a night at the gym. In my 20s, I worked cutting grass. 6-8hrs each day walking 3.8mph (unless I could get the mower to go faster). I was bone thin (5'9" 130lbs) and eating 5000+ cals a day. Could not gain weight...until winter. I'd gain 20lbs every winter, even though I had another job working at a factory, walking parts back and forth, over a 5' section of floor. Spring would hit, and I'd be back down in weight.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    2000 steps ~ 1 mile

Try this:
    Your Calorie Burn Per Mile (Or Minute) Walk vs Run
    ..................................WALK ...................RUN
    CALORIES/MILE ....0.57 x wt in lbs .....0.72 x wt in lbs
    CALORIES/MIN ......0.03 x wt in lbs......0.07 x wt in lbs
    To use the above, simply multiply your weight (in pounds) by the number shown. For example, if you weigh 188 lbs, you will burn about 107 calories (188 * .57) when you walk a mile, and about 135 calories (188 * .72) when you run a mile.

Lastly the calculations only apply to walkers doing an 18:36 pace (3.2mph) and runners doing a 10:00 pace (6mph). Running faster or slower than 10:00 pace doesn’t make much difference in your calorie-burn per mile. (But has a major impact on your burn per minute.)

Walking is a different kind of animal. Increases in walking speed dramatically raise calorie burn per mile as well as per minute. Indeed, at about 12:30 per mile, walking hits a point where it burns about the same calories/mile as running. Walk faster than 12:30 and you will burn more calories/mile than running at 10:00 pace.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn
  • dlucio1
    dlucio1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got to get me a Fitbit. lol. Thanks for adding me. u been so successful. wow. I weigh 157 and am 5ft. I get so hungry at 1200 and I see most of the people on MFP they can do it. I really have no willpower. I need all the help from friends. Thx.