Probably been asked before but.....

Options
My mom is taking my son for the night tomorrow. I want to have a few drinks (get a nice buzz) and have a yummy indulgent dinner but I DON'T want to go stupid (Like I used too) Does anyone have any suggestions for some low cal drinks and eats that are indulgent but not over the top. Or really some of your favorites when having a night "off" so to speak.

I'm also going to exercise extra to cover about 500 cal over my regular allowance...

Replies

• turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    http://skinnygirlcocktails.com/lpa

I dont drink but I have heard of this stuff ^
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What do you like to drink? You should just work to fit that into your plan.

Hard liquor is about 70 calories per ounce for 80 proof, so if you have something like a rum and diet coke (with 2 oz of rum) that's about 140 calories. Generally, with mixed drinks, it's the mixers that really pile on the calories.

Wine ranges from about 100 - 150 calories per 6 oz glass, with red being generally a little higher. I generally assume about 120 cals per 6 oz of wine as a good guide if I don't know.

Beer is anywhere from 64 (or so) calories for bubbly yellow water to a few hundred for yummy Belgian dubbels and trippels. Most beers like Sam Adams are in the 150 - 175 range.

For me personally, an indulgent drink would be a Vesper martini - 3 oz gin, 1.5 oz vodka, and 1 oz dry vermouth. It comes in at 300+ calories, but you really only need one for a buzz.

Food-wise I don't restrict anything, but if I had to choose a food to have a "night off" with it would either be pizza from a really good local pizza place or sushi.
  • HeatherGTaylor
    HeatherGTaylor Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What do you like to drink? You should just work to fit that into your plan.

Hard liquor is about 70 calories per ounce for 80 proof, so if you have something like a rum and diet coke (with 2 oz of rum) that's about 140 calories. Generally, with mixed drinks, it's the mixers that really pile on the calories.

Wine ranges from about 100 - 150 calories per 6 oz glass, with red being generally a little higher. I generally assume about 120 cals per 6 oz of wine as a good guide if I don't know.

Beer is anywhere from 64 (or so) calories for bubbly yellow water to a few hundred for yummy Belgian dubbels and trippels. Most beers like Sam Adams are in the 150 - 175 range.

For me personally, an indulgent drink would be a Vesper martini - 3 oz gin, 1.5 oz vodka, and 1 oz dry vermouth. It comes in at 300+ calories, but you really only need one for a buzz.

Food-wise I don't restrict anything, but if I had to choose a food to have a "night off" with it would either be pizza from a really good local pizza place or sushi.

I personally enjoy a really good dark beer but find I over indulge and have 2 or 3 to find that buzz and then I'm over calories. I think I'll try a vesper martini. The goal is to have that nice light buzz. Thanks for the suggestions! and I forgot about sushi! so yummy and with the right choices I could still be under.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There are two routes I take.

Route 1) I want to get buzzed. Vodka and soda. Club soda is zero calories. Order single shots. It's more expensive, but you get more drinks for your calories so you can keep up with your friends. Also, be careful: your tolerance may have dropped. Another reason not to get doubles.

Route 2) I want to hang out but stay pretty sober. Beer! For me, I can sip a beer slowly much more easily than a hard drink. I like the local microbrews, and you might too. But you should know that Guinness is surprisingly low calorie and incredibly filling. And not hard to find.

Editing to add route 3) have whatever you want, but have a glass of water in between and log BEFORE you eat or drink. This is good when I want a dark and stormy or something. If you go over your calories, you go over, but log first so it is a conscious decision.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy a really good dark beer but find I over indulge and have 2 or 3 to find that buzz and then I'm over calories.

Happy to help.

BTW, I'm generally the same way when it comes to good beer, especially Belgians :drinker:
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I like flavored vodka and club. At home, I like Absolutes CherryKran but it's hard to get at a bar. They'll usually have some good substitute. As far as the buzz-meter, I find 1 vodka club = at least 2 wines. So, it's cost-effective and if you're like me, vodka doesn't give me that horrible headache or hangover that a few glasses of wine produce.

For eats try shrimp cocktail or hummus.
    Have fun!
  • TcaitlinO
    TcaitlinO Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://skinnygirlcocktails.com/lpa

I dont drink but I have heard of this stuff ^

That stuff isn't drinking. One of the few alcoholic things I've poured down the drain...