Morning Mirror Moment

Options
I've always heard people who are successful with weight loss say that one day "something just hit them" and they knew in that moment, they needed to change. I, myself, have always had the Monday mentality. You know the one, "Starting Monday, I won't touch a carb until I lose this weight," or "Monday's the day I start eating clean" or "I can eat this Reese's peanut butter cup today because I deserve one last hoorah before Monday comes." I always considered the way I felt on the Monday's, like I could conquer the world, those feelings everyone had spoken of...until Tuesday, of course.

However today it actually did hit me. Dead in my tracks. No, I didn't have a startling doctor's appointment (although, I'm sure I'm not far from that). It wasn't because my clothes didn't fit, nor was it because I saw an old skinny picture (even though that usually sends me into a tale spin). I didn't even step on the scale today...

I simply woke up this morning and didn't like what I saw looking back at me in the mirror. Now granted, I'm not usually impressed with my messy hair-eyes half open- yawning self. But this morning there was something far more unappealing to my reflection.

It's like I was gone.

The best version of myself that I had always perceived had disappeared. She had been fading for some time for sure, but this morning, I couldn't see her at all, and it really scared the ever-loving crap out of me.

I am a 28 year old female. I've never been "skinny" but I would say I could hide those extra pounds pretty well until I turned about 21 and my metabolism decided to start slow poking. Ever since then, I have gained a little each year, with this past year putting on about 20 lbs. In all, I am now about 80 lbs. overweight and want it GONE.

I don't have the funds to purchase some amazing food program, or personal training sessions, or a gym membership with fancy classes. What I do have is MFP, a decent pair of running shoes, a cheap membership to Planet Fitness, and a good pair of praying knees.

My plan is simple...calories in/calories out. I've known for some time that this is really the only true way to lose weight and get in shape for life, however I've tried every diet under the sun in hopes that I could take the easy way out to find a "quick fix." Only to find I couldn't remain on it long enough to be successful. I feel that using MFP and remaining brutally honest with my food intake and exercise entries is the way to go once and for all. Thinking this drastic change will help me to remember my drastic reaction to myself in the mirror this morning.

Anywho, I'm sharing this on here in hopes some (or one) of you out there can relate to the experience I've had, who might want to join forces in getting the weight off together. We can hold one another accountable, share ideas, pray for one another (If you're the praying type), and even complain when days are rough.

Who's with me?

Replies

• Bekkah1552
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your moment... your story truly touched me in many ways :smile: I have about 88 lbs. to lose and would gladly share this journey with you :smile:
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    Go for it. Nothing to lose and the world to gain. :smile:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I remember that moment. Congratulations, you're on your way. Don't lose this focus.
  • sweetychaitu
    Options
    Hi

I am 25 year old female. I am 60 lbs overweight than i have to be :(. I have tried so many ways to lose weight but i didnt. Now i am here with so much hope that i will lose weight.

"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver."

:flowerforyou:
  • GabSer5
    Options
    I, too, have been in your shoes. It was the beginning of January '13 -- On a Thursday, I remember clearly -- and I suddenly decided to change my eating habits. It hit me quickly. As long as you have the determination, nothing else will matter. Once you have the mentality with what you want, you will do it! No one will force you to do or get anything done, it will happen when YOU'RE READY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN! I am talking from my personal experience. I didn't hire a personal trainer nor did I spend money buying pills or meals, but because I knew what I wanted, I simply survived and lost 44lbs by "It's not the quality of what you eat, but the quantity," and of course, working out, which consisted of running at the Park, running around my block, dancing in my room, and swimming! If I did it, you CAN, TOO! I'm excited about your journey! Feel free to add me!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    What a great first post! welcome! I know you'll move mountains here. Good luck!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I would luv to be your friend. :) My moment was almost 2yrs ago and here I am. ????
  • Trns4rm
    Options
    I would love to go through this weight loss journey with you! :)
  • muderfocker
    muderfocker Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great story and good luck on the journey!
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, 90% of us know EXACTLY what you feel!! And the majority of us know exactly HOW to lose weight, we are masters at it. ( I guess I should only speak for myself here!!) I have lost (and gained back) the same 30 pounds many many times in my life. Whoever said that alot of it is a mind game, I feel is totally spot on. You have to be ready! AND YOU ARE!!! You have the right system in place, cals in/cals out! Running shoes and learning what it is like to be hungry and what your body needs to make the hunger go away.

You CAN do this, and you WILL do it, and I'd love to be with you on your journey, so feel free to friend me, I love giving others support, but in return I need support from you!

At least you look in the mirror, I spent years avoiding them like the plague, I reallly didn't like what I saw. But I started doing some heavy thinking and realized that I am who I am, and basically I like myself, (even tho I don't like mirrors) And I also did lots and lots of praying, and it has paid off, slowly, but it has. I'm halfway to where I want to be, so the way I see it, I'm on the ride down!!

Stick with it, love yourself, you will succeed!!
  • alwaysdance
    alwaysdance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the same story. I'm 29 now and I'm determined to drop at least 30lbs before my 30th.
  • kpass001
    Options
    Awesome! Let's do it :smile:
  • jenniferbedick
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome post! You've inspired me to keep losing for today!
  • mg_89
    mg_89 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I wish I could send you a big ol' hug... and.... you know.. I had moments like that when I was 28 and I wish I had acted then.. instead of being almost 39 and realizing I have over 100 to lose.. You CAN do this. You can.

One day at a time. Good luck to you!!

m
  • kpass001
    Options
    Wow, feeling the love here guys. What amazing words of encouragement. Looking forward to keeping in touch with all of you and sharing our successes. :happy:
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Welcome and great post! You can do it, just take one step at a time. Save this somewhere and look back at it any time you lose motivation. You motivated me too!
  • rebeccavh
    rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat- I did a big WLJ a few years back loosing 50 lbs. I now have 20 of those lbs back on and am looking to loose them. I am 28 as well- and I too do not like what is looking back at me in the mirror. I am also going on vacation in a few months and dont want to be down in the dumps about being in a bathing suit
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What a great post I can completely relate! For the last year I kept telling myself I would start on Monday then I would crash and burn and swear I was going to start over only to keep repeating that cycle. Im now 31 years old and have about 80lbs to lose. I use to be a college athlete, I use to love hiking and being outdoors, I was a very active person. And I dont know where that person went! I have been looking at vacation deals but have ruled out anywhere that I would have to wear a swim suit.....how embarrassing!!
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!

I can definitely relate. About 12 years ago I had that 'moment' you speak of. I woke up and for some reason my upset at my weight/appearance was different that day.

I knew that was the day that things would change for me. And it did...fast forward about 8-9 months later and I'd lost almost 100 lbs! I kept all of that weight off until this past summer when I went up about 12 lbs, that was the reason I started MFP two weeks ago.

Feel free to add me as a friend, we're all in this together!

Best,
    BD