Busty Girls, Help!

Options
Now, I love how my boobs look in a shirt. Its one of the only pluses to this plus size body. But it thwarts my fitness efforts! Being a 44 DDD (They are huge even for my physique) makes sports bras beyond difficult to find. What fits doesn't hold the steady, and lets face it what would hold it steady would also probably slice into my skin. So the girls get double wrapped in whatever I can get over them, and hope for the best.
Some of my issues:
I'm too boob heavy to succeed in sit ups and crunches very well
Any form of bouncing painful (and possibly a risk of knocking myself out lol)
Push ups are aggravating for reasons that are obvious.

So what do you do for fitness? How do you handle the goodies when you work out? Even better, what exercises do you do to make sure that as you lose weight and/or get fit they get tight, stay tight, or don't start to look deflated or anything?

All forms of busty boobvice is appreciated!

Replies

• JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you can get a Jeunique bra, get one! It's the only bra I run in. Company went out of business when the owner died a couple years ago, but you can still find them in boutiques and ebay and such.

Others swear by Athleta and Title 9 bras. I visited a Title 9 once and tried out their bras and none of them work for me like the Jeuniques I have. My bras keep the girls locked down, separated, and actually UP (so I look good working out haha). After 26.2 miles, you WANT them locked down!!

Not sure I understand the point about getting in the way for crunches (but then I'm only a 36 D cup). Seems you might be able to do those much like others hold weights while they do crunches. And push ups, well, my arms at 90degrees (required for military) my bust doesn't quite touch the floor so that still works for me). Don't let the girls become an excuse that hinders you!!

I'll tell you what WAS tough for me before I lost some weight and my chest went down some: Pilates and any kind of floor exercise where you lay on your stomach!! soooooo uncomfortable.

You don't need high impact to lose weight and tone down. Diet and walking at an incline (1.5-3 depending on the day) for 45 min a day worked wonders for me. There are lots of free weight exercises you can do even with that chest. The key is, as you lose, to make sure they're not bouncing and jiggling. I'm not a doctor but I believe that hype about once the ligaments are stretched out they stay that way. If you have to, cross your arms over your chest while you're doing high impact power jumps and such until you get a good bra.

Oh and bras like Jeunique are designed to have no give/no stretch in the straps, which sounds uncomfortable at first but after years of running half and whole marathons I'm GLAD there's no give because they've lasted a loooong time.

Hope that helps some!!
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    DD here. I wear a regular wide strap bra with no underwire, then over that a put a tight sports bra, and over that I put a workout tank that's snug around the bust. Its a lil bulky, but it keeps me from getting knocked in the face with my boobs lol.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Btw I do jillian michaels 30ds and Bodypump, you can find both on youtube for free.
    Push up do kind of suck but once you build up your arm strength, they suck a little less!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    DD here. I wear a regular wide strap bra with no underwire, then over that a put a tight sports bra, and over that I put a workout tank that's snug around the bust. Its a lil bulky, but it keeps me from getting knocked in the face with my boobs lol.

This.

I buy the cheap sports bras and get them one size too small. For the first few wears, I need help getting them on (husband is happy to oblige). Over time, they will stretch out, and washing will help them keep their size a little bit. Eventually they won't be tight anymore and you'll need new ones.

I do Zumba, all kinds of dance and even horseback ride like that. No black eyes yet!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I cant help with the big boobs, but stop doing sit ups and crunches. They really don't do much for you.

Check out bodybuilding.com and many other resources for better abdominal workouts.

Try incline pushups, that way you are getting the same benefits of pushups, but allow you to have some space.
  • suckafish0625
    Options
    I make do with a regular full figure bra and a sports bra. Im not that large in the D's:blushing: ..just a single D..but they are pretty much tucked in for working out. Good luck.
  • Ciniharts
    Options
    Also a DD here and I understand your pain...literally. I actually tend to avoid running because of the girls because like you I've not found a sports bra that loves me enough to co-operate.

As for not being able to do sit ups and crunches I think this might mean you need to work on strengthening your core and back. When I was having back troubles due to mine, my doctor had me start doing a daily pilates DVD and I have to say it really helped. I tried a few different ones and find Mari Winsor is best.

Unfortunately with them shrinking, it's different for everyone because everyone loses weight in different ways and has different levels of elasticity in their skin. I think focusing on increasing that elasticity with various skin creams might be your best bet, other people also swear by applying oil to them.

Hope that's a little help! Feel free to add me if you'd like another friend to encourage you on your journey!
  • KayDee2361
    Options
    Hi, I'm DD as well and i run and walk and wear just one bra called - Shock Absorber - they really do reduce 'bounce' by 80% - absolutely awesome. :-)
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36DDD/36F - I tried all the regular sports bras - old navy size large at least kept them strapped down, but I hated the monoboob look -- I found a couple I like from Glamorise that are sized like bras and full cups and I love those = I got them for a pretty good price on Amazon
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm currently wearing a 32G (though I think I might be closer to a 30E now) and I wear sports bras from Old Navy, though they kinda have the problems you mentioned. The "band" is definitely looser than the ideal, but it works pretty decently. I don't really do a lot of running, but it does the job when I'm doing jumping jacks and the like. I know some of the fancier brands (mostly UK brands that actually carry proper sizes) have sports bras, but I can't bring myself to shell out the cash for those. Try checking out a site like figleaves.com or pop on over to reddit.com/r/abrathatfits and ask the girls there.

Here's a link to sports bras in your size on figleaves: http://goo.gl/fD13Zr (top row isn't relevant, it's their "favorites" or some crap)
  • luvche
    luvche Posts: 19
    Options
    sports bra with tight lycra tank/spghetti strap undershirt.
  • missvie
    missvie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wear a regular bra, then a sports bra and then a tight top. I am a 32 H works fine for me though for cardio I don't run
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    The bra advice is all good so I'll skip that part but I wanted to comment on pushups. You can do them on your knuckles (least favorite option but I had to do it that way for Taekwondo when I was taking it.) You can use push up handles or a set of dumbbells if they have a flat spot on them like the hex dumbbells do. This gets you higher off the ground and gives you more depth (i.e., makes room for the boobs). The bonus is this is kinder to your wrists as they aren't flexed so hard.
  • miamouse3
    miamouse3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, loving the advice!

I plan to check out those bra suggestions, I can always use another bra and if it works thats even better!

To those who mentioned a sports bra over a regular bra, I totally do that for work. I do a lot of bending and hate readjusting after wiping down so many tables, so thats helped. I haven't tried working out with it though because now that I have a regular bra that fits I didn't want to ruin it. I bought my bras at Torrid, and was appropriately sized and everything. They weren't cheap, for sure. I worry about sweating in those though, because I've developed irritation. I might in the mean time pick up a bra that fits but isn't quite as big a dent to get me by if I can't afford a decent sports bra.

For those questioning why situps and crunches aren't working for me, when I lay flat on my back or even close my boobs like to come up out of the top of my bras. They jiggle too much, and in combo with my heart defect at the moment its a wee bit too much resistance occurring. I think when I get around 20 lbs lighter they might start to get easier, but at the moment I avoid them. Abdominal workouts are important to me though, because I want to banish the muffin top and sculpt. I don't want that whole 4 pack to six pack look or whatever when I reach my goal weight so much as I want it toned. I want to wear a tight shirt or form fitting dress and not have a bump. So I am still working on figuring out abdominal workouts that aren't complicated by my chest.

I really appreciate all the advice, happy to take all the help I can get.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    34hh. I don't cheap out on bras.ever. I can't have my girls looking a droopy HAM. For high impact stuff I use panache and shock absorber.

For low impact stuff goddess, enell and elomi work.

There's absolutely no reason to wear 2 bras and use lack of bra choices as an excuse. The last time I had to do that was 20+ years ago when I was a 28jj and they're were no choices. Now in 2013 there are multiple brands that would even contain a 28jj
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Abdominal workouts are important to me though, because I want to banish the muffin top and sculpt. I don't want that whole 4 pack to six pack look or whatever when I reach my goal weight so much as I want it toned. I want to wear a tight shirt or form fitting dress and not have a bump.

I found that until I dropped enough weights ab workouts just made the muffin top worse because my abs got bigger, not toned. It took aerobic exercise (all that walking I mentioned) to really slim down to where I could wear a form fitting dress. YOU can do it!!
  • itspussyriot
    itspussyriot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a petite frame with DD's and it drives me nuts.
    Sorry, this might've been said before, I just skipped over the other comments. I'd recommend reading this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/wrong-sports-bra_n_4590756.html

It's really handy, just tells you what you should get in a sports bra.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I've been running for years in an Enell. Its a bummer that my weight has changed a lot because I don't think that theres a lot of give in the sizing and they are spendy. I fit standard enell sizes but they will custom make bras for bigger or less common sizes, I am pretty sure.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Freya makes nice sports bras in larger sizes. They're pricey, but worth it. Never cheap out on your bras.
  • roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lululemon TaTa Tamer. I couldn't do jumping jacks until I got that bra. It fit through many sizes too and I'm just replacing it now.