How much is too much?!

Options
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum aspect of the site but have been using the app on and off for a while now.

I have a fair bit to go, my overall aim is to lose 4 stone from my heaviest ever weight, currently I have lost 16lbs of that. I'm sticking to under 1200 calories a day and healthy eating, aswell as exercising regularly.

With regards to exercise I vary between Body Pump, Circuits, Body Combat and most recently Metafit.

This week I've done two Body Pump classes and two Metafit classes... but was considering another this evening.. which got me thinking, how much is too much?

Is there such a thing as doing too much when aiming for such substantial weight loss? Is there a limit where it may start to deter the weight loss, or is it just what your body is comfortable with and can cope with?

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks,

S

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If there is too much then you'll get injured a long time before finding it. Fear not.
  • LitheVixen
    LitheVixen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you can take it on, then go for it! Your body will surely let you know when you go over the limit.

As for diet; it's good that you stick to such a low goal, but exercising heavily at the same time means that you càn eat something in between 1200-1400 cal. Don't go too far below that, as it might lead to a lot of problems like hair loss, fatigue, and a lack of certain nutrients! You may not notice it at first, but in the long run you might be setting yourself up for these issues. Take care of your body!
  • marvinrobot
    Options
    It sounds like it's too much. What's your dayjob, size and age?

I'd say aim for a persisting shift in eating and exercising habits. 1200 kcal per day when exercising 3-4 time a week sound like something you cannot really hold up for very long because it is "exceptional behaviour". Yes you will loose weight fast (if your body doesn't go into starvation mode with this kcal!) but you will probably yoyo back once you "go back normal".

There shouldn't be a "go back to normal". Find a new, healthy "normal" for yourself and be patient. Calculate your normal kcal income and start with 90% of it or even 95% and focus on eating clean and building exercising habits. You will loose weight slowly but at one point it will be "normal".

You should look for a new "You", not for a quick fix.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well done on the 16lb to date.

You should already be losing weight just by eating 'under 1200' per day, not that that is even recommended (and you will be getting the 'based on your daily calorie intake you are eating too little' message from MFP). I hope you are at least eating your exercise calories back, otherwise yes you are really going to run into problems.
  • feistymoon
    Options
    If you're in it for the long haul, make it easier! Shift to 1600 cals a day- you will still get reasonable weight loss. Exercise as much as you can but rest when you're body tells you it's fatigued (which it invariably will, I always know when I need to stop pushing on and have a day or two off).

Make small, sustainable, incremental changes and you will be much less likely to throw the towel in! It might take a little longer, but it will be better for you, less stressful on your body, and constitutes an easier 'mental shift'.

((Just my opinion of course, and I'm certain there will be lots who disagree!))
  • sam_m187
    sam_m187 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys!

@LitheVixen - I certainly feel like I could do it again, I'm just wondering if I should be making sure I maintain 'rest' days throughout the week also. The problem is I just don't feel like I'm doing anything on those days lol! With regards to the diet advise I'll definitely take it on board, previous weeks I've been making sure I hit the 1200 target minimum, this week I seem to have fallen between 850-1000 most days, which I'm not neccessarily sure will help when I'm exercising so much. I do make sure its a healthy balance of what I eat though, not just one particular food group, although maybe I hadn't factored in the issued you mentioned!

@marvinrobot - I work in an office daytime, so the most I have is around 30mins walking without any exercise classes. Size wise I am currently 16st 9 (233lbs) and am 27 years old. I'm not looking to lose weight fast, my goal is 2lbs/ 2.5lbs a week, so that I am able to maintain it. Tbh, its not a huge shift from what I was eating previously, its just alternating snacking for things like fruits, and perhaps having smaller portions in my meals. I'm certainly not struggling, or feeling like I'm fasting in anyway. The main difference for me is that I have reintroduced fitness classes into my routine. I had previously done similar and in time got to 14st 12 (208lbs) however, I obviously didnt maintain it due to a change in my routine again. I'm definitely not looking for a quick fix, I'm happy for it to take as long as it takes, I just want to make sure what I'm doing is correct, and aiding the weightloss.

S.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Is that too much while eating under 1200 calories a day .. Yes I would say it is. You are not giving your body adequate nutrition to sustain your workouts. Also, why restrict so much when you do not have to. I have lost a little and eat consistently between 1500-1900 calories a day, which gives me room to include nightly ice cream, brownies or cookies. My husband is very happy I learned that 1200 calories is not a great way to try and live, as I was really Hangry and made his life miserable.
  • sam_m187
    Options
    @arrseegee - I havent been eating my exercise calories back, as I wasnt quite sure whether that would defeat the purpose of burning them? Having looked at my app last week my average NET calorie per day over the last three weeks has gone between 838, 627 and this week currenty sits at 366. My aim was definitely to keep my net at 1000, so it seems I need to work on that!

@fiestymoon - Tbh, alot of the time at the moment I struggle to reach 1200 without eating for the sake of getting my calorie count up. I'm not in a bad routine in terms of meals I've just cut out snacking between breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner. I allow a snack in the evening, but even then, I don't seem to NEED it as such, its more that I'm having it because my count is low.

@jwhited71 - As mentioned above, I'm not feeling hungry, or miserable at my current count, but perhaps I need to increase it somehow. I just don't really want to eat for eatings sake, that's all.

I may be going at this entirely the wrong way, I guess its trial and error to figure out what works.

Again, thanks for the replies guys!

S
  • LitheVixen
    LitheVixen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of calories to function. This is called the "BMR" (Basic Metabolic Rate). For me, this is 1250 cal. Then, there's "the rest" that the body needs to do basic daily stuff. For me, the total is around 1500 cal for just sitting down and studying/gaming/reading all day. Add in light exercise (like running 15 minutes/half an hour, 3 times a week) and that number becomes 1700 cal.

If you're sedentary, and you eat your BMR without the "rest" - you will lose weight. But "just" eating your BMR doesn't really cut it if you're actually exercising, too. Your body will need a lot more calories for that, and it'll desperately try to find those. In the long run, this means your body will be fatigued for apparently 'no reason'. Some days, you may not want to get out of bed. After about two months of keeping up your routine, you'll notice you're losing more hair when brushing and washing. This means you're gradually damaging your body as you're eating too little.

The key is to find what works for you. I eat around 1300 calories on most days, if I want to lose weight - but only because I'm sedentary at the moment. If you exercise like you do, you should probably eat around 1400 calories.

On the subject of 'rest days' - those days are meant for your muscles to relax. If you put them under too much strain, you'll likely damage them in the long run.

I use this website:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    (Fill in "personal data" and "determine your energy expenditure", and it'll give you your likely BMR and the calories you need.)
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Do as much exercise as you feel comfortable with, but always listen to your body. Those days when you really feel tired, achey, like you shouldn't work out? Probably you shouldn't.

Any form of exercise can become addictive - lifting or cardio releases endorphins in the brain which are same chemicals that are relesed when you take opiates.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If there is too much then you'll get injured a long time before finding it. Fear not.

Ummmm.....this sounds like a reason to be afraid, not "fear not". Just sayin.

To the OP, is one hour a day of moving around in a fitness class too much? probably not. I wouldn't worry about it
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    @arrseegee - I havent been eating my exercise calories back, as I wasnt quite sure whether that would defeat the purpose of burning them? Having looked at my app last week my average NET calorie per day over the last three weeks has gone between 838, 627 and this week currenty sits at 366. My aim was definitely to keep my net at 1000, so it seems I need to work on that!

OK your net calories shouldn't be any lower than 1200. 366 is just ridiculous, that will be less than 1/6 what your body needs just to keep your heart going. Even 1000 is far too low - aim to achieve a minimum 1200 net calories per day, because you are going to get really really ill if you keep that up.

Even if it feels like you can cope on eating lower your poor body can't for very long, so, seriously, meet your net calorie intake for the day.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to lose weight fast, my goal is 2lbs/ 2.5lbs a week, so that I am able to maintain it.
    That _is_ too fast, and you're at risk to gain it back. A healthy weight loss is no more than 2 lbs. per week. (1.5 would be healthier and much more likely to stay off.)

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to lose weight fast, my goal is 2lbs/ 2.5lbs a week, so that I am able to maintain it.
    That _is_ too fast, and you're at risk to gain it back. A healthy weight loss is no more than 2 lbs. per week. (1.5 would be healthier and much more likely to stay off.)

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
    It's better to go by something like 1% of body weight.
  • sam_m187
    Options
    Working out from what I weigh, between 2-2.5lbs a week is 1% of my body weight.
  • sam_m187
    Options

OK your net calories shouldn't be any lower than 1200. 366 is just ridiculous, that will be less than 1/6 what your body needs just to keep your heart going. Even 1000 is far too low - aim to achieve a minimum 1200 net calories per day, because you are going to get really really ill if you keep that up.

Even if it feels like you can cope on eating lower your poor body can't for very long, so, seriously, meet your net calorie intake for the day.

I will aim to increase my net calories then. I'm thinking I might be unlikely to see any weight loss this week as its been so low, I'm not sure. I guess perhaps bigger portion sizes might be the only way to increase it just now then if I'm cutting out snacking and not feeling hungry between meals. I guess I was just working on the principal of only eating when I'm hungry, not 'for the sake of it' or when I'm bored, and thats whats made me low.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It can be pretty easy to increase your calories. Not sure what you're eating as your diary is private but you can swap out anything low fat, low calorie and the like for the original full fat version. Eat whole eggs, avocados, nuts, seeds, dried fruits (or mix all three together for trail mix), peanut butter, even chocolate if you can manage not to overindulge. Gotta fuel the machine if you want it to work properly!

BTW, good for you for challenging yourself with all the new workouts! I just recently tried Les Mills Body Pump and that is an awesome workout!
  • sam_m187
    Options
    It can be pretty easy to increase your calories. Not sure what you're eating as your diary is private but you can swap out anything low fat, low calorie and the like for the original full fat version. Eat whole eggs, avocados, nuts, seeds, dried fruits (or mix all three together for trail mix), peanut butter, even chocolate if you can manage not to overindulge. Gotta fuel the machine if you want it to work properly!

BTW, good for you for challenging yourself with all the new workouts! I just recently tried Les Mills Body Pump and that is an awesome workout!

Yeah I guess it can be, just need the right mindset. I think because I've been so focussed on keeping it low and maintaing it, I now have that frame of mind and dont want to increase by much if that makes sense. I'm not a big chocolate eater so I can definitely manage to not overindulge in it, I'm much more savoury. I've made my diary public now, was a bit dubious about doing so at first, but I guess if I'm okay with what I'm eating, and I'm getting some helpful feedback out of it, then theres no reason it shouldn't be public!

Thanks, it's the Les Mills classes I've been doing. Body Pump is most definitely my favourite class so far, but I'm really enjoying Metafit too - because its just 30mins but its so intense, its brutal during but over so quickly! :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've made my diary public now, was a bit dubious about doing so at first, but I guess if I'm okay with what I'm eating, and I'm getting some helpful feedback out of it, then theres no reason it shouldn't be public!
    You're not eating enough food. You're on a "diet," and when you go off your diet, you will gain weight.

You need to eat in a way that you can continue for the rest of your life. Set your goal to 2 lb. per week, and meet your calorie goal. Exceed your protein goal every day–it's a minimum, not a maximum. Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled snacks into your macros.

If you want to keep the weight off, you need to make a lifestyle change. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • sam_m187
    Options
    See I thought I was, three meals a day and snacking I hoped was enough to maintain. The only difference to my usual routine is that I've swapped 'junk food' snacks for fruit or healthy alternatives, and lower caloried crisps etc.

I'll certainly look at the portion sizes etc also to see if that helps. I'll have a read at that later this evening, as a few people have recommended reading it!