Options

Replies

• ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    <----Midget - and feeling blessed now! lol
  • EyesOnSize8
    Options
    Pants for men are available by waist and inseam...pants for women are most often available only in regular and petite. Don't get that...Petite people can always have length cut off at a tailor (for a fee), but tall people can't have length added on. How about we ditch the petites department and start offering regular and tall? Or maybe just start selling women's pants with inseam options too.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Pants for men are available by waist and inseam...pants for women are most often available only in regular and petite. Don't get that...Petite people can always have length cut off at a tailor (for a fee), but tall people can't have length added on. How about we ditch the petites department and start offering regular and tall? Or maybe just start selling women's pants with inseam options too.

PLEASE for the love of all things holy can we do this! There are 20 MILLION options in regular and short but can I get a single damn pair of pants in a LONG, maybe one (if they even come in long), but it certainly won't be in MY SIZE!:explode:
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Being the same height as most men in your hometown. ):
    ALWAYS being called for to get something from the top shelf.
    Never being able to experience a tip-toe kiss.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    3smlqw.jpg

Not to mention, being taller than my dad. That one sucks.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Everything. :(
  • cyrilmacduff
    Options
    My own problems?

1. Online dating. I'll date a shorter man, but they lie about their height. I'm just under 6' so when I meet him in person, he seems shocked that I'm "so tall." Just admit to really being 5'10" instead of claiming to be 6', you big liars.

2. Tall clothing. Yes, I have to do much shopping online, but there's not much frame adjustment for tall sizes. I don't have a long torso, so tall shirts are waaayyy too long. I can buy tops at the mall as long as they're made well, so that solves the sleeve issue.

3. The rude, disgusting comments from men about my leg length. If I had a dollar for every time I've been told what part of his body I can "wrap those legs around," I'd have at least $100.

4. Shorter people who claim they want to be as tall as I am. The whole "Grass is greener" thing. No, you don't. I've had surgeries and health problems most of my adult life.

5. Hateful comments from men I've dated, even though I judge no one for their height. That doesn't even count the bullying in school.

6. Not being able to wear gloves, unless they're from the men's department.

7. Wearing a women's size 12 shoe, although I'm not a big shoe person, but that may come from years of big feet and no options.

8. Exercise equipment being designed for the 5'10" and below crowd.

9. I will gladly reach for things too high for a shorter person, but bending to get something from down low can be a real pain (sometimes literally).

10. Airplane seats. Woe to the person in front of me who attempted to recline his seat and smashed my knees that were already wedged in. He learned his lesson.

11. Counter top heights made for the average (female) cook who is 5'4". When will this change? Men are (on average) 5'10" and are in the kitchen as much as women. Contractors need to get out of the 1950s.

12. I don't get the stupid comments anymore, such as "wow, you're tall." But when I'm looking for clothing, I'm told that certain stores carry a 34" inseam, which is helpful exactly how? And after I already said I need a 36"? The same with shoes. "But they carry 10s and 11s!" "And I just told you I wear a 12, so thanks so much.

Otherwise, I have no problems. People tend to leave me alone and take me seriously (sometimes too much). I get gawked at way too much, but I got used to it years ago, so it doesn't bother me.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My own problems?

1. Online dating. I'll date a shorter man, but they lie about their height. I'm just under 6' so when I meet him in person, he seems shocked that I'm "so tall." Just admit to really being 5'10" instead of claiming to be 6', you big liars.

2. Tall clothing. Yes, I have to do much shopping online, but there's not much frame adjustment for tall sizes. I don't have a long torso, so tall shirts are waaayyy too long. I can buy tops at the mall as long as they're made well, so that solves the sleeve issue.

3. The rude, disgusting comments from men about my leg length. If I had a dollar for every time I've been told what part of his body I can "wrap those legs around," I'd have at least $100.

4. Shorter people who claim they want to be as tall as I am. The whole "Grass is greener" thing. No, you don't. I've had surgeries and health problems most of my adult life.

5. Hateful comments from men I've dated, even though I judge no one for their height. That doesn't even count the bullying in school.

6. Not being able to wear gloves, unless they're from the men's department.

7. Wearing a women's size 12 shoe, although I'm not a big shoe person, but that may come from years of big feet and no options.

8. Exercise equipment being designed for the 5'10" and below crowd.

9. I will gladly reach for things too high for a shorter person, but bending to get something from down low can be a real pain (sometimes literally).

10. Airplane seats. Woe to the person in front of me who attempted to recline his seat and smashed my knees that were already wedged in. He learned his lesson.

11. Counter top heights made for the average (female) cook who is 5'4". When will this change? Men are (on average) 5'10" and are in the kitchen as much as women. Contractors need to get out of the 1950s.

12. I don't get the stupid comments anymore, such as "wow, you're tall." But when I'm looking for clothing, I'm told that certain stores carry a 34" inseam, which is helpful exactly how? And after I already said I need a 36"? The same with shoes. "But they carry 10s and 11s!" "And I just told you I wear a 12, so thanks so much.

Otherwise, I have no problems. People tend to leave me alone and take me seriously (sometimes too much). I get gawked at way too much, but I got used to it years ago, so it doesn't bother me.
    Strong first post.

I'm not sure if its been said, but buying shoes is nearly impossible these days for a tall person. Our feet tend to be rather large.

Last time I went shopping for running shoes, the salesperson asked me what shoe would I like to look at. I said, I can make it easier on both of us, just bring out anything in size 13. I think she brought out 3 different pairs. :/
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Clothes, I just can't afford boutique, but "tall" sizes in cheaper pants/jeans are still just way short.

One place I worked had a hanging light fixture in the middle of the kitchen, and I hit my head on it a few times. Walked under it in a particular hurry one day and broke it. I was so embarrassed.

Books I need at the library are always, always on the very bottom shelf. (Although, squatting down, reaching my book, and standing back up is a hell of a lot easier than it used to be!)

I've got a "Long Tall Sally" ad on my computer, right there!!! ---->
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Strong first post.

I'm not sure if its been said, but buying shoes is nearly impossible these days for a tall person. Our feet tend to be rather large.

Last time I went shopping for running shoes, the salesperson asked me what shoe would I like to look at. I said, I can make it easier on both of us, just bring out anything in size 13. I think she brought out 3 different pairs. :/

See, you think this is a problem until you're on the other end of the scale. Tall woman, size SIX shoes. Sure, I've got adorable petite little feet that just look so "cute" in those tiny little shoes, until I break my ankle trying to walk around on a platform that is structurally incapable of supporting an object my size. My ankles are trashed at this point.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can see your point.

Nonetheless try walking around in steel toed boots(13). It literally feeling like cement shoes.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Yes, I can see your point.

Nonetheless try walking around in steel toed boots(13). It literally feeling like cement shoes.

No I know, FINDING the larger shoes is an issue that I don't have, and I can certainly see where they would start getting heavy. I just have to resist lecturing women when they start telling me about how they wish they had such petite feet like mine :grumble: I'll take fashion limits over physical limits any day.
  • licktat
    licktat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'5"..... I will have to say there is a lot of whining in here for what I consider a blessing. I used to complain because of limited shoe availability, but I have found that buying shoes online is actually cheaper and easier. Likewise, because I am tall I am convinced it helps me in my career. I think people pay attention to, and perhaps subconsciously want their leaders tall.... I might be off base on that but it might be a primal thing we don't want to admit.....
    I might be a positive thinker instead of being a victim, but I fly usually 4 times a week. Legroom sucks, but because I fly so much I get upgraded, or in some cases the gate agent will see me and get me a bulkhead or exit row. But I have found that really big fat people ask for the exit row thinking it is wider..... So usually the exit row is no bargain. Being a formal really big guy, I fit much better in coach now...

Funny thing though, for years people used to ask me how tall I was, or 'how's the weather up there?'. After I packed on 50 pounds do one asked those questions, but would say things like 'your huge'. Now, after losing the weight must people I know are asking, 'did you get taller?' and people I don't know are asking how the weather is up by me. So I spit and tell them it's raining.....
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Ha bed aren't long enough,
    Pants are too short
    Doorways can be too small

BUT
    I get the best seat no matter where I am in the concert!
    I can never get lost in a crowd.

Being Fekking Tall ROCKS! :happy:
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    Low shower heads.

YES!! So hard to wash your hair!
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    * Being the annoying one on the airplane that has to sit sideways because you literally just don't fit.

Ah try getting on a taxi in Africa!
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    <----Midget - and feeling blessed now! lol

Like short people dont have problems too :laugh:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    True story. I have a very good childhood friend who is 6'4". She married a man who is 6'10" They had their home custom built to accommodate their height.

My wife and I visited them several years ago while on vacation. When we first arrived at their home, my wife wanted a shower. Denise, my childhood friend, told her to unpack later and go ahead and use the shower in the Master Bedroom. They had shampoo, conditioner, etc. already their that my wife could use.

My wife, who is 5'3-1/2" (Hey, that 1/2" is important to her) got undressed and stepped into the shower. The shower head was about 7 and a half feet up and so were the window sills, where they had their toiletries lined up.

My wife told me later that she couldn't reach the window sill to get at the toiletries and that, by the time the water got to her is was a mist.

She had to just rinse off and take a shower in the guest bathroom later.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am not tall...at all...but my school insists that we be CPR/AED/first aid certified each year and it was pointed out to me that if our principal who is 6'8" was ever choking that my 5'1" self would be useless in my attempts to save him as there is not way I could possibly get in position to give him the Heimlich.

So tall folks, if surrounded by shorties, chew your food well.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    1. Told you are too tall to wear heels (still rock it even thought I am 5'11).
    2. Always asked to get things off the top shelf.
    3. Taller than your friends.