WTF!!! Canada's only gone and banned Marmite!

Options
jimmmer
jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
...and Bovril, too:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/marmite-and-irnbru-supplies-seized-in-canada-after-they-fall-foul-of-food-additive-rules-9081234.html

Also, they are investigating Beef Stock, because, and I quote, it contains "too much meat product".

Has the world gone mad?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's actually banned in Denmark also as it contains too many Vitamins!! I love my Marmite
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    I had to look up Marmite LOL but doesn't sound yummy at all. Wikipedia (which of course I know isn't 100% accurate) describes it as "sticky dark brown food paste which is extremely salty"

EWWWWW
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I had to look up Marmite LOL but doesn't sound yummy at all. Wikipedia (which of course I know isn't 100% accurate) describes it as "sticky dark brown food paste which is extremely salty"

EWWWWW

Yep, this time wikipedia is right :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Finally.:happy:
  • jimmmer
    Options

EWWWWW

In this case wikipedia sucks a big set of hairy balls. :P

It is a case of something you either really love or you'd kill to be away from. It does have that effect on the people...
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I had to look up Marmite

LOLOL OMG really!!
    I :heart: Marmite.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I pity the fool who doesn't like Marmite.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to live in Canada. :drinker:
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Guess that's the end of my desire to visit Canada!

Also possibly a declaration of war on the UK...
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If this starts spreading, then I don't wanna live on this planet anymore!

I :heart: Marmite (and Bovril!)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    According to the CFIA’s letter to the shop-owner, Marmite, Ovaltine, Lucozade, Penguin Bars and Bovril “are enriched with vitamins and minerals” and therefore illegal.

Am I thick but I don't see the problem with vitamins?
  • jimmmer
    Options
    According to the CFIA’s letter to the shop-owner, Marmite, Ovaltine, Lucozade, Penguin Bars and Bovril “are enriched with vitamins and minerals” and therefore illegal.

Am I thick but I don't see the problem with vitamins?

Not Ovaltine too! What's next? Horlicks?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Brew your own beer. You'll get plenty of yeast bi-product. :wink:
  • mkghbrad
    Options

EWWWWW

In this case wikipedia sucks a big set of hairy balls. :P

It is a case of something you either really love or you'd kill to be away from. It does have that effect on the people...

So much so that even people are described as "he/she's marmite" you either love or hate them. With regards real Marmite - hate the stuff - force fed it as a child (probably becuase it's enriched with vitamins!!) and now event he smell is enough to make me gag....eugh!!!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Noooooooo!!!! I have to start stock piling it. I love my Marmite!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Weird Canucks. Hope Australia doesn't follow suit. Although my son prefers vegemite, the little rat
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I hate marmite.

but irn-bru is great. No idea why it's not popular. It's made in Scotland from girders, you know :drinker: (although D&G Old Jamaica ginger beer is my all time favourite non-tea drink)

Are we Brits so terrible? I know we have a reputation for being not terribly good at cooking, but making British food illegal.... surely that's a step too far...?
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Canada sounds like a very strict nanny!
  • dlpau
    dlpau Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Vegemite is much better anyway.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Fine!

Let's ban Justin Beiber and Nickleback imports in retaliation. Please God, let us ban Justin Beiber and Nickleback imports in retaliation...