Lowering cholesterol through diet?

Options
I have really, really high cholesterol (total is up near 300). Even when I was pretty thin and in good shape it was high. I used to eat a lot of dairy and meat, which I'm sure played a big part of it being so ridiculous. Now my doctor is threatening to put me on medication if I can't lower it myself.

I've been eating vegan about 90% of the time now (only have meat or cheese if I'm out and there are no other options - don't keep it in my home) and I think it should help. Has anyone here had success with lowering their cholesterol without medication? If so, any tips? I've heard that things like oats, flax seeds, and garlic can help. I know that eating healthier and exercising will obviously help, I guess I'm just wondering if anyone drastically changed their diet and saw a positive change without meds.

I'm getting it checked again within a month and want to see it go down!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Some people just need medication :( My cholesterol went down when I lost weight though, and I didn't do anything special for it, but it wasn't that high either.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what mine was on a before so I have an unfinished dataset, but mine was 109 when i got it checked a couple years ago 6 months into changing my poor diet. I am definitely one of the people whose cholestrol is unaffected by dietary cholesterol (as I am over 300mg almost daily, and quite frankly don't even care how much I eat in aday).

My parents and sister are all on meds for high cholesterol, so i have the genetics for it.

I eat a LOT of meat and dairy, and it doesn't seem to matter on mine. Best I can guess is that I eat decent fats and a LOT of fiber, mostly thru veggies and fruits.
  • Madmarsha
    Options
    Your diet is only responsible for 15%-20% of your entire cholesterol number.

What was your HDL and your triglycerides? I would yell kicking and screaming before going on statins.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ummm I don't remember what the breakdown was at all. Basically it was so horrible that my doctor just shook his head and jumped out the window. When it's that bad, does it really matter?
  • SamanthaD1218
    Options
    Also, if my diet makes up so little of my cholesterol, is the rest really just genetics? High cholesterol doesn't run in my family, so it's very strange!
  • Madmarsha
    Options
    The overall number doesn't tell you the whole story, you want to know your other numbers and your ratios (HDL/Total cholesterol and Triglyceride/HDL). Your body does need cholesterol for some functions, that's why your liver produces it. Even if you ate a completely cholesterol-free diet, your body would make the approximately 1,000 mg it needs to function properly. Do some googling. Also look into CoQ10 or Ubiquinol.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Mine did. It was 211 and I dropped it in 3 months to 160 or something like that. I researched heart healthy diets and limited my red meat to once a week. I ate salmon, chicken and turkey mostly..lots of veggies. I ate primarily oatmeal for breakfast, but I ate eggs and turkey bacon sometimes. Switched to whole grains and limited processed foods. Limited my fat to 40 g with saturated fat not going over 10 g. I also started walking every day. Besides dropping my number, I dropped 30 lbs in that 3 months also.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes. My cholesterol numbers from blood tests were fine (all normal, HDL on the high side). Then I got free bacon for breakfast every weekday for 4 months. Next blood tests were way high. Cut out the bad foods I'd added (bad means eating way over moderation) and my blood numbers came back down.

My doctor is a pill pusher. When he told me I needed statins, I said I wanted to try diet and exercise. Five years later, and he shakes his head at my blood tests, and says......well someday you will need statins, just not right now.

I did well on the diet (food qty and quality) part. Not so well on the exercise part. Though I do exert myself (e.g. yard work, long fast walks, taking stairs instead of elevators, etc.) most days,, not just in "formal" exercises.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is educate yourself about your options. High cholesterol can be caused by many things and as others have mentioned it also depend on what part of your cholesterol is high. Omega 3 is great for lowering cholesterol (fish oil, flax seed, fish and flax seed are great sources).

I personally have high triglycerides so have to watch how much fat I eat each day. Some people can lower their cholesterol with weight loss and eating a healthier diet.

They believe my condition is genetic; after two hospital stays from acute pancreatitus, I chose to take medication to help lower mine.

I will be going back soon to find out if eating healthy has helped.

Good luck! :)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents have cholesterol numbers over 300. Yet my sister is 110. It's true the body should have the ability to make all of the cholesterol it needs, and hypothetically, should stop making it to compensate for cholesterol consumed through diet. Unfortunately, I did not inherit that healthy trait. Unlike my sister, I am genetically prone to mass produce the stuff regardless of how much I take in through diet.

8 years ago my cholesterol was 257. I was not a vegan at the time and being Texan head to toe, I loved my steak and bacon. I did not stop eating those items, but I did buy that instant oatmeal and would fix one packet Mon-Fri in a little styrofoam cup at the office for breakfast. I dropped it to 183 in 6 months (maybe sooner, but that's when I had it checked next.)

I quit eating oatmeal after it came down, and in January last year discovered it was 356 with over 250 points of that being the bad stuff. I've since gone vegan and dropped it nearly 200 points in 12 months. I eat several tablespoons of flaxseed every day because I like snacking on it the way other people snack on nuts. And I snack on a couple teaspoons a day of Bob's Red Mill crunchy coconut granola. I just pour a little in my palm several times a day and munch on it. I know for a fact I lowered it by adding whole grains, but by eliminating dietary cholesterol, I got an even better result. I'm NOT recommending you become vegan for that reason though! LOL. I'm just saying a combination of the two worked fast and effectively for me.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just heard the results of my latest cholesterol test today and my doctor wanted immediately put me on a statin drug.

Total: 189 (recommended 120-200)
    Triglycerides: 107 (recommended <150)
    LDL: 118 (recommended <100)
    HDL (good): 50 (recommended >40-59)

The side-effects for statin drugs are too many for me to even consider going on this drug with my LDL being not too far above optimal). I'm not sure how my doctor will react to my act of rebellion but it's my body and I think he has jumped on the "let's put most Americans above the age of 40 on statins" bandwagon.

I'm going to try to exercise more, lose more weight, try niacin, and eat mostly vegetarian to see if I can reduce my LDL number.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    http://www.cobblescorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Get-With-The-Guidelines_AHJ-Jan.2009.pdf

Lipid levels in patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease: An analysis of 136,905 hospitalizations
    in Get With The Guidelines.

Lipid levels among contemporary patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease (CAD) have not been well studied. This study aimed to analyze admission lipid levels in a broad contemporary population of patients hospitalized with CAD.

Methods
    The Get With The Guidelines database was analyzed for CAD hospitalizations from 2000 to 2006 with documented lipid levels in the first 24 hours of admission. Patients were divided into low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL), and triglyceride categories. Factors associated with LDL and HDL levels were assessed along with temporal trends.

Results
    Of 231,986 hospitalizations from 541 hospitals, admission lipid levels were documented in 136,905 (59.0%). Mean lipid levels were LDL 104.9 ± 39.8, HDL 39.7 ± 13.2, and triglyceride 161 ± 128 mg/dL. Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol <70 mg/dL was observed in 17.6% and ideal levels (LDL <70 with HDL ≥60 mg/dL) in only 1.4%. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol was <40 mg/dL in 54.6% of patients. Before admission, only 28,944 (21.1%) patients were receiving lipid-lowering medications. Predictors for higher LDL included female gender, no diabetes, history of hyperlipidemia, no prior lipid-lowering medications, and presenting with acute coronary syndrome. Both LDL and HDL levels declined over time (P< .0001).

Conclusions
    In a large cohort of patients hospitalized with CAD, almost half have admission LDL levels <100 mg/dL. More than half the patients have admission HDL levels <40 mg/dL, whereas <10% have HDL≥60 mg/dL. These findings may provide further support for recent guideline revisions with even lower LDL goals and for developing effective treatments to raise
    HDL.

Apparently LDL is not low enough with the above evidence showing 17% of victims having LDL's lower than 70 and almost half with LDL under 100 and 21% on lipid lowering medication.

According to Get With The Program Guidlines over 75% of heart attach victims had average to low cholesterol levels.........Basically the conclusion the panel came up with is more people need to be on statins and LDL cholesterol levels need to drop further and they also remarked that HDL needs to improve. I find it peculiar that people that had higher overall cholesterol levels had a lower rate of heart attacks.
  • SamanthaD1218
    Options
    Mine did. It was 211 and I dropped it in 3 months to 160 or something like that. I researched heart healthy diets and limited my red meat to once a week. I ate salmon, chicken and turkey mostly..lots of veggies. I ate primarily oatmeal for breakfast, but I ate eggs and turkey bacon sometimes. Switched to whole grains and limited processed foods. Limited my fat to 40 g with saturated fat not going over 10 g. I also started walking every day. Besides dropping my number, I dropped 30 lbs in that 3 months also.

Wow you did amazing work!! Glad to see it can be done!
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I had high chol but not as high as yours. I was on medication for several years and tried to lower it by just diet alone. Once I started the combination of diet and exercise, that is when it started to lower. I exercise everyday and watch what I eat and now I have been off the medication for about a year.
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    After all my weight loss, eating vegetarian M-F and eating low cholesterol in general my cholesterol still hovers around 250 (HDL of 69, LDL of 150ish, pre weight loss was also around 250). My genetics have failed me on this one and I am now on a statin because of it.

Some changes can definitely help like lowering cholesterol intake, eating vegan, increasing cardio (will increase HDL "good cholesterol" which is protective), etc. Some things, genetic based, are a bit harder to change. Don't be so caught up on not taking medications (I was for 3 years and refused to take them for along time!). If you've tried your hardest and still can't get it lower consider the statin/med. It's cardio protective and will prevent future problems (like atherosclerosis/heart disease) from happening down the road:)
  • losing_it_2013
    losing_it_2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Mine has been in the high range for over 10 years, since my early 30's. I did lower it by taking natural supplements like Guggulipid, Flush-Free Niacin and a product called VegaPure. I was told I wouldn't be able to lower it enough without medication but I do NOT want to go that route. I saw a cardiologist for a stress test and he said my heart is in great shape and not to worry about my cholesterol since I don't have immediate family history of heart disease. I try to eat healthy and exercise and don't take any meds at all. Good luck!
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    New research shows that high cholesterol being a negative thing is a myth. Especially for women. In fact, medicating women for high cholesterol has been shown to be very dangerous. Some doctors (especially GPs and docs who want to sell you meds) don't know or don't recognize this.

On top of that, cholesterol in the diet is NOT the cause of high cholesterol in the body. A vegan diet will not help you become healthier. Soy is much more dangerous then egg yolks and red meat.

I don't subscribe to everything these experts say, but here's a starting point:

http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/the-cholesterol-myth-that_b_676817.html
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Wow you did amazing work!! Glad to see it can be done!

It can and it really wasn't that hard for me to do. The only problem is that my good cholesterol didn't come up even though I was briskly walking/jogging 5 miles a day, 6 days a week. The nurse said it was probably just genetics with that part of it. It actually dropped 2 points during that time, but overall, the numbers are good.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what studies show re the relationship between cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease, I have no desire to argue with my doctor about being put on statins at every visit. My cholesterol levels have never been low, but my blood results tend to correlate with how much saturated fat I consume. My doctor has suggested a lower fat diet (20%) with saturated fat <8% of total calories. At these fat levels, my cholesterol at least drops into the normal range and he quits with the statin talk. I don't know if that's how things are supposed to work or whether that's just what happens to me, or if it's pure coincidence and my cholesterol levels are actually controlled by the phases of the moon. Idk, but I don't want to take pills I don't need. So if I can control the # through diet and not have to listen to him yammer about pills, I'm all about that.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what studies show re the relationship between cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease, I have no desire to argue with my doctor about being put on statins at every visit. My cholesterol levels have never been low, but my blood results tend to correlate with how much saturated fat I consume. My doctor has suggested a lower fat diet (20%) with saturated fat <8% of total calories. At these fat levels, my cholesterol at least drops into the normal range and he quits with the statin talk. I don't know if that's how things are supposed to work or whether that's just what happens to me, or if it's pure coincidence and my cholesterol levels are actually controlled by the phases of the moon. Idk, but I don't want to take pills I don't need. So if I can control the # through diet and not have to listen to him yammer about pills, I'm all about that.
    That's the thing, cholesterol, the actual sterol itself as nothing to do with heart disease, it's basically the size and number of total particles called lipoprotein (capsules that carry cholesterol) and a persons lifestyle and genetics that dictates how the body then decides which type is produced. Small dense LDL lipoproteins are universally considered atherogenic while the larger phenotype less so and many in the field put a protective status on larger ones.