Confused

Options
Hi Guys,

So I am fairly new to MFP and really enjoying the motivation I have to eat well and exercise (hopefully it will last!)

What I am confused about is my calories. MFP says I should have 2080 a day. Now should I be aiming for this or should it be lower than 2080, obviously not over 2080 and when I exercise should I be eating up to my new calorie count so if I exercise 600 calories should I be aiming to eat 2600 that day?

I am a bit confused and don't want to get off on the wrong foot before starting and losing the motivation because I am doing it wrong so not seeing a result!

Replies

• brebre0789
    brebre0789 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always eat at least half of my exercise calories back, so yes you should be eating at least part of the calories you burn from exercise. I started noticing that if I didn't eat those calories back I wouldn't lose any weight, but since I've started to eat a little more the weight is starting to fall off. Good Luck!!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Well if you are going by MFP numbers, then you should eat back exercise calories....
    Unless you are trying to lose weight...then I would not eat them back.

I myself prefer using numbers that factor in exercise.....
    And then add or subtract from that number, based on my goals.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome! I eat some of my excercise calories back. But I go by the weekly average. So if I go over my calories one day I can be under the next and it averages out. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Focus on net calories rather than total calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well if you are going by MFP numbers, then you should eat back exercise calories....

You will still lose your goal amount of weight by eating them back as the deficit is build in before exercise was taken into account
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Alright, why workout if you just want to eat those calories. I like MFP and all but don't eat your workout cals. I don't understand why MFP does that. Stay at your calorie goals pre workout. You'll lose more weight and still feel full.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    MFP already builds a calorie deficit into your daily calorie goal so plan on eating up to the 2080.

As you can see by the replies so far, there are some different schools of thought around eating the exercise calories back. The intention is to eat them back so that your calorie deficit isn't too high and so that you have the energy (calories) and nutrients to support the extra activity.

However, many of the calculations for calorie burns are overestimated so plan on eating back at least half of earned calories and up to 2/3rds if you're truly hungry. Also, be careful about what you log as exercise. Even the sedentary activity level account for some basic activity like a few hours total of light housework, driving, cooking and personal care. Some think sedentary means you don't do anything but that's simply not true, it just means the majority of your day is spent sitting like with a typical desk job.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Alright, why workout if you just want to eat those calories. I like MFP and all but don't eat your workout cals. I don't understand why MFP does that. Stay at your calorie goals pre workout. You'll lose more weight and still feel full.

This is not how MFP works. MFP already puts you at a deficit to lose weight without exercise, just based you your daily activities. When you exercise, you need more calories to fuel you body. What MFP gives you is the net amount you should consume daily. Since exercise calories are not exact, I wouldn't recommend eating 100% - maybe 50 - 75% back. The goal should not be to lose weight as fast as possible, but to lose it steady & healthy.
  • Fefe150
    Options
    It makes me wonder-- if one is trying to lose weight, should they just not input their exercise? That way you wouldn't have to worry about eating your exercise calories. That's been confusing me too- I've been on this for 2 weeks- vigorous exercise 50min/5-6 times a week and still not noticing much weight loss.. and I'm looking at realistic goal (2lbs/week).

Granted, I know they say go by how your clothes fit and while I do feel better I know the scale should be lower!! haha

Good luck as you start the MFP journey!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    for those of you questioning the exercise calorie eating back thing - please click on this link (quoted from above)

and this:

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

You will still lose your goal amount of weight by eating them back as the deficit is build in before exercise was taken into account

Ok, so MFP automatically builds in a deficit??

I was not aware of that...I thought it just gave your TDEE based on no exercise....

Then that works as well.....eat back exercise calories or a portion, depending on goals.....
    or if you are or are not hungry.....
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    It makes me wonder-- if one is trying to lose weight, should they just not input their exercise? That way you wouldn't have to worry about eating your exercise calories. That's been confusing me too- I've been on this for 2 weeks- vigorous exercise 50min/5-6 times a week and still not noticing much weight loss.. and I'm looking at realistic goal (2lbs/week).

Granted, I know they say go by how your clothes fit and while I do feel better I know the scale should be lower!! haha

Good luck as you start the MFP journey!!

If all you're trying to lose is 30lbs total, then 2lbs a week is really a bit aggressive. It can be done, but in my experience you'd probably be happier and have more energy shooting for closer to a 1lb/week goal. Also, if you are hitting the gym for 50-60 minutes a day and 5-6 times a week, you SHOULD be factoring that in. That's a lot of work, especially if you are already at a low calorie intake.

The flip side of that coin is you need to be 100% sure you are logging correctly. If you are working that hard and not seeing ANY movement on the scale, it's possible you are underestimating your calorie intake. Get a kitchen scale and weigh every thing you put in your mouth on the scale first. Trying to "estimate" how much you are actually eating doesn't work for 99.99% of the population. Once you become a pro at this, you can decide if you want to relax on this a little bit, but starting out, you need to be weighing the food too.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    for those of you questioning the exercise calorie eating back thing - please click on this link (quoted from above)

and this:

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

Stop the debate, just read these. All answers given. And gratuitous use of the word 'pecker'.