Turning Fat Into Muscle

Options
Close to my target weight but would like to lower my body fat % and turn it into more muscle.

What are your best tips? Are supplements necessary in order to do this?

Because I've been lifting 4-5 times a week for a while without taking anything, I've seen some gains....but certainly not to the extent I would like too.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Fat and muscle are two different substances. You cannot turn one into the other. You can lose or gain fat and lose or gain muscle, but fat does not turn into muscle. You will not gain substantial muscle without eating at a surplus. If you want to lose fat, I'd eat at a moderate deficit, do some cardio that you like and continue on a good progressive lifting program. This will help you lose fat while maintaining muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Fat and muscle are two different substances. You cannot turn one into the other. You can lose or gain fat and lose or gain muscle, but fat does not turn into muscle. You will not gain substantial muscle without eating at a surplus. If you want to lose fat, I'd eat at a moderate deficit, do some cardio that you like and continue on a good progressive lifting program. This will help you lose fat while maintaining muscle.

I would suggest pretty much this, but just add that the cardio is not necessary. If you like it do it, or if you want to eat more cals do it.

OP: what lifing program are you doing? If you are just making your own I would suggest you follow a tried tested and true program, such as Starting Strength (has a book), Strong lifts 5x5 (google it), or New Rules of Lifting (Book), though I'd push the first 2 programs for simplicity purposes.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    To build significant muscle (which takes months, not weeks), you're going to need to eat at a surplus. Not huge amounts, just 100-200 calories a day. And be sure to eat plenty of protein.
  • Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bacchetta_magica.gif

(Just joking. What the others said)
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take fish oil but I'm pretty convinced you do not need any of the other stuff. The fasting twins have a great vid on youtube on how supplement companies are pushing unnecessary chemicals on young people.

I think you could lose 10 lbs my march.....although the last 10 lbs is always the toughest. Our metabolisms start slowing around age 24....if you're gonna have a six pack, 20's are your best chance. You pretty much have to live like a pro athlete. Super clean diet, strict exercise, HITT cardio...and you gotta do it consistently....it can't be a phase.