Running and weight loss

Options
Does high-intensity running slow down weight loss considerably? I started the C25K program about three weeks ago and I've started gaining back weight that I lost. I'd lost about 6 lbs in a month and a half when I was running around at the gym without aim, and I've gained 3 lbs back since I started C25k - is this normal? I'm not sure what else I can blame. My diet habits haven't changed and I'm sticking to a militant 1,200 calorie budget.
I feel good and I figure I must look better (my track pants are trying to fall down when I run now!) so it's probably just the creation of new muscle, but it's oddly discouraging. I've been working out for almost 3 months now and I've only got 3 lbs of weight loss to show for my efforts. I know it's not all about the number on the scale, but I can't help but be a bit sad. Will it become more noticeable over time? Should I be changing my diet considerably to accommodate an exercise regime that is almost exclusively running? My diet is currently a bit protein and sugar heavy (having trouble weaning myself off sugar), but low on carbs and starch.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, runners and particularly those new to running tend to feel they should load up on carbs for energy. Since you say you're on a low carb balance, then maybe it's the sugar?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Is running the only kind of exercise you are doing? You don't gain muscle from running so that is highly unlikely.
  • sevyndeadlysins
    Options
    I don't think I eat an unruly amount of sugar, but MFP seems to think that I do. I only get 24g per day and a glass of milk has 12, so if I drink milk (or eat cereal, or make a protein shake, or cook with it... you get the idea) I'm pretty much immediately doomed. A single cup of juice, even the no-sugar-added kind, usually has more than my daily allowance in it on its own. I don't sit around and eat chocolate bars or anything, I just like the occasional cup of orange juice or small serving of yogurt & fruit, and MFP always gets very mad at me when I do.

I run 3 times a week, do a yoga/pilates class once or twice a week, and typically do some low-intensity biking and/or resistance training once a week.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Don't track sugar using MFPs numbers. Sugar is just a carb and you most likely already track carbs, so no point in tracking it twice.
  • sevyndeadlysins
    Options
    I figured as much - it seemed unrealistic to me. I will continue to not take it very seriously :)

I'm just not terribly sure if my diet habits have anything to do with my success (or lack thereof). Should I perhaps eat less protein and more carbs? (It seems very counter-intuitive based on everything I've heard in the past, but I know that different types of exercise have different needs, so if runners like carbs, I'll try it out.)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Is running the only kind of exercise you are doing? You don't gain muscle from running so that is highly unlikely.

I'd like to introduce you to some hills that I run :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    My diet habits haven't changed and I'm sticking to a militant 1,200 calorie budget.

Ding ding ding. What are you netting every day? Aside from that, I can't see you diary so can't be of much help, sorry.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You may retain more water with any new workout but it should only be temporary. More of a concern when taking up running is eating too much. Most people overestimate the number of calories they burn exercising - sometimes significantly. I use an HRM when working out and that does a pretty good job of estimating my running. I dropped a lot of weight and my body changed shape when I took up running. I would say for at least the first year I was running it really helped. It's not as effective now for me (or maybe I'm just eating more which is probably part of the problem!)

I would suspect some water retention and some overeating.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Remember when you start new exercise your body can retain water. I don't know for sure if this is what's happening, given that it's now a month later. Maybe give it a couple more weeks.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    You may retain more water with any new workout but it should only be temporary. More of a concern when taking up running is eating too much. Most people overestimate the number of calories they burn exercising - sometimes significantly. I use an HRM when working out and that does a pretty good job of estimating my running. I dropped a lot of weight and my body changed shape when I took up running. I would say for at least the first year I was running it really helped. It's not as effective now for me (or maybe I'm just eating more which is probably part of the problem!)

I would suspect some water retention and some overeating.

Did you see the part about 1200 calories? Pretty sure calories burned doesn't matter to the OP. She's "militantly" starving herself.
  • sevyndeadlysins
    Options
    Sorry, to clarify, I do eat more when I exercise - I just stick to 1,200 (or as close as possible) on days where I don't exercise. I eat more to make up the deficit on run days. I'm trying to figure out how to make my diary public so you can have a look.

EDIT: You should be able to see it now, I think. I'm still working on conquering a few bad habits... don't make too much fun, please ;)
  • Hornsby
    Options

I'd like to introduce you to some hills that I run :)

Touche, but the OP said 3lbs in 3 weeks. For this case, the minimal gains you can get from running hills wouldn't apply.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Sorry, to clarify, I do eat more when I exercise - I just stick to 1,200 (or as close as possible) on days where I don't exercise. I eat more to make up the deficit on run days. I'm trying to figure out how to make my diary public so you can have a look.

EDIT: You should be able to see it now, I think. I'm still working on conquering a few bad habits... don't make too much fun, please ;)

Your body is starved. Your calories don't "reset" every day, and you are netting 1000-1200 calories per day after your exercise. Eat more. Don't get hung up on "do I need more/less carbs/protein" -- just hit your existing macros and you'll be fine, unless you have medical reasons. No, I don't judge your Kit Kat and Coke for dinner, but I did have a laugh :)

Try changing your style. After you run, just wolf down 2/3 of those calories immediately. For a 400 calorie burn, that can be a peanut butter sandwich. Yogurt and granola. Chocolate milk and a string cheese. Banana and a bagel thin. Don't go overboard with it, and then just eat as usual for the rest of the day.

1200 a day any way you slice it just isn't gonna work.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When you say high intensity running how fast are you talking? When I started out running I was going at a 10:00 minute mile pace without a big incline but I still was losing. Now I'm running at an 8:00 minute per mile pace at an 8.0 incline and the weight is coming off much faster. I can't help but think that maybe you are eating more than you think because adding running helped me get off my plateau.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot. I eat about 1850 calories a day and still lose. Eating only 1200 calories would make me a raving lunatic!!!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    For some perspective for the OP.... when I was training really really hard for my first triathlon, I hardly lost anything. I took the week before my tri off to rest (I did walk because I could not stand doing nothing). During my week off I lost 3+ pounds.

It sounds like water retention mostly. I would try to weigh the day after a rest day first thing in the morning. Normally, rest days are when there is more water retention because most training plans have a hard workout day right before a rest day.

Also, your body is getting adjusted to new training and new workouts which takes time, so just keep going at it and be patient.

Last but not least, EAT MORE FOOD! Seriously, try upping your calories at least 100/day. You body needs food to not only fuel itself, but to help heal itself. Nutrients help muscles heal.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You've an awful lot of "quick add calories" in your dairy. Which is fine if calories are the only thing that counts. But if you're going to start analysing protein and carbs, you need more data.
  • sevyndeadlysins
    Options
    Wow, lots to tackle here.
    No, I don't judge your Kit Kat and Coke for dinner, but I did have a laugh :)

Sometimes, you have a crappy day, and you just need a chocolate bar... lol.
    Well, you seem to have a pretty damn good idea what you're doing, so I'll give that a try. I try to eat right after a run, but usually not very much, so I'll up the ante a bit. Thanks for your help!
    When you say high intensity running how fast are you talking?

I do somewhere between 6-7.5 mph when running (depending on how awesome I'm feeling - I average about 6.5) and occasionally take a break for a brisk walk (3.8 mph usually).
    I almost forgot. I eat about 1850 calories a day and still lose. Eating only 1200 calories would make me a raving lunatic!!!

I'm starting to like that everyone is telling me to eat more! I don't feel hungry most of the time, but I'm not about to complain. I'm pretty good at eating.

Thanks, Jennifer! I'm trying not to be impatient. I wouldn't mind if I was at least staying the same... it was the fact that I gained some back that confused me. 'Starving' might be the cause, so I'll eat more, give it some time, and hope that helps.
    You've an awful lot of "quick add calories" in your dairy. Which is fine if calories are the only thing that counts. But if you're going to start analysing protein and carbs, you need more data.

I know, that's something I'm trying to fix. Between home-cooked meals and visiting in-laws who don't like having to rhyme off every single thing that goes into the food on my plate, I have to guess more than I'd like. I'm going to start adding my own recipes into MFP, but sometimes there's not too much I can do. If it continues being an issue I'll be more diligent about knowing exactly what's in things.