That time of the month...an excuse or legitimate?

Options
Men might not want to keep reading if they are squeamish! So it is almost my time of the month and I get extremely painful cramps and other side effects. Usually I am so fatigued that I truly cannot get the energy to do almost anything, especially exercising. Do you guys (girls!) work out on your period? If you do, how do you deal with cramps / fatigue? I also have a bad habit of overeating on my period. Again it's the same old "I can do whatever I want because this is living hell and my insides are being ripped apart" excuse.

Any advice for not falling off the bandwagon for a week every month?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have found that pushing through exercise during my period helps relieve cramps and pain. I don't take nearly as much ibuprophen for cramps as I used to. I can be sitting in my recliner, feeling yucky and thinking I don't want to workout, but if I just get up and go for my run, or do my weight workout, within a few minutes of starting I'm not even aware of any cramps, and I feel a thousand times better when I'm done. :bigsmile:

As far as cravings and eating during that time - those have lessened as well. Probably partly due to learning new habits, such as measuring out a portion of potato chips and putting the bag away rather than sitting down with the entire bag and eating as much as I want. :tongue:

Good snacks
    - portion out a zip lock bag of raw almonds and toss in a few chocolate chips
    - a few pita chips and some crunchy veggies (baby carrots, sugar snap peas, red bell pepper slices) with hummus
    - stir a spoonful of Nutella into a half cup of plain Greek yogurt
    - dip sliced apples in peanut butter (or half peanut butter and half Nutella!)

These are decent snacks with a bit of the salty/sweet/chocolately flavors you might be wanting - helps satisfy the cravings.

Just make sure you ignore the scale during that time - I always go up as much as 5lbs during the week, but I know it's just temporary, it's not fat gain, and it will drop back off again in a few days.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do you workout a lot?
    I found that it's getting easier when you workout consistantly. I had crazy symptoms and painful cramps for the longest time. Since I started losing weight and seriously workout, I haven't.
    I do feel weaker and sluggish around that time but nothing compared to what I went through years ago. I just see it as a challenge to work harder.
  • dncyng
    dncyng Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have found that I need alot more iron during that time of the month. You can find this in a bowl of oatmeal, or cheerios, or spinach. very yummy. Raisins have a good amount of iron too.

my alltime fave though is a homemade chili with 1lb ground beef 90% browned with onion, A can of kidney beans, a can of crushed tomatoes, and spiced the way you like it. lots of iron and filling. then i can get things i need to get done.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Any advice for not falling off the bandwagon for a week every month?

Exercise! That's my advice.

To address the rest of your post, I'm at an age where this beginning to be less of a problem, but I know exactly the feelings you mean, and no, I do not always exercise during TOM, and yes, sometimes I overeat during TOM.

BUT, I found that regular exercise lessens the symptoms. It lessens cramps somewhat and definitely improves mood, which keeps me from wanting to kill people, and sometimes lessens the chocolate cravings. And, on the occasions where I did eat an entire 10 pack of full size Reece's cups (or something similar) in 10 min, it made me feel a little less guilty.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My periods last 5-7 days. Can I really take 5-7 days off every month for the rest of the my life? The answer is no. I take advil and move on. I go mountain biking, I lift weights, I control my eating, etc. I live my life as I normally would (besides the frequent bathroom trips). I even change tampons in the woods.
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I have no energy during my period. I usually feel horrible, have insanely bad cramps and want to do nothing but sleep and eat. (Although I don't eat anymore during my period! Now I just sleep...lol) It's not just an excuse for me, it's legit. I seriously get so sick during my period... It sucks :(
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen and I work through it. I only rest on rest days or if I'm sick.

For me, resting during that week is an excuse I don't make.
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes, I exercise through it. But if I feel particularly bad, I'll do an "easier" exercise (one that doesn't make me quite as miserable), like a taking a long walk.

Ditto the above advice about the scale – pay it no mind!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I work out like any other day that month. :ohwell:
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Take Aleve/ibuprofen the day before your period starts...cramps wont come or be nearly as bad...it's about being proactive!

And wear your frumpiest workout clothes, preferably black
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's not the same for everyone, but I get pretty bad cramps on Day 1. I don't experience the fatigue though. I make sure to keep exercising throughout my period because it always helps relieve the cramps and bloating feeling. I am not the type to eat pints of ice cream when I get my period. Usually I just feel uncomfortable and don't want to eat much. It's the other 3 weeks that are a problem ;)

Bottom line, I think whether it's an excuse or legit depends on the person, but I would force yourself to do at least a little workout. Maybe 10 minutes, and see if you can keep going beyond that. It definitely relieves the pain and general grossness feeling.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Getting up and moving usually helps any of my symptoms during my period. Like Rae said, mine lasts 4-7 days, I can't and don't want to take off that time... mostly because moving more means I get to eat more food. I usually have one extremely painful lower back cramp day where I pop ibuprofen like tic tacs and will try to move my squat/deadlift workouts around to avoid doing it on my crampy days.

Most women can track their periods so you should have a pretty good idea of when it's going to happen and if you feel your mood and appetite change, check the calendar and if you're period is almost there, adjust and plan accordingly.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    My issue isn't while I'm bleeding- it's the 7-10 days beforehand. I get cranky, emotional, irritable and crave every salty and sweet thing in sight. The moment aunt flo gets here, I'm good. I know this, it's been this way since my teens, and what makes it more bearable is working out. I don't often get cramps, but when I do, exercising is what seems to help most, even more than a heating pad.
  • rexiecatmeow
    rexiecatmeow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I suck it up and deal with it..If you added that up in a year how many days you'd miss b/c of aunt flow.. Naw, not taking those days off..too many days for me! I find trying to distract myself from the cramping helps, once I get moving along. I have a high no excuses mentality though.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Echoing everyone else. Exercise through it. I would've never thought that would help, but it does. It keeps the cramps to a minimum. For some reason, my weight goes down by 3 or 4 lbs the day before I start, but then it goes back to normal. Definitely ignore the scale that week and keep on trucking. If you stop for your period, it might make it more difficult to start back exercising. No excuses :)
  • rexiecatmeow
    rexiecatmeow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am the same exact way! Its before my period thats worse than my actual period time lol.
    My issue isn't while I'm bleeding- it's the 7-10 days beforehand. I get cranky, emotional, irritable and crave every salty and sweet thing in sight. The moment aunt flo gets here, I'm good. I know this, it's been this way since my teens, and what makes it more bearable is working out. I don't often get cramps, but when I do, exercising is what seems to help most, even more than a heating pad.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    Why is a guy responding, three sisters, a wife and daughters. I believe that TOM, OTR, periods are very real, you might be like, duhhhh ; ). Your bodies are collecting every nutrient if can muster to jump start a living incubator and everything is affected. I have several friends here who go through this and some of them work through it, others cannot. If you want me to, I can send the name of one or two and you can ask them how they deal. Good luck lil one.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps me with the cramps and uncontrollable b*tchiness, thus the need to commit serious bodily harm to others. I used to stay in my house because my temper was so bad. And I used to eat those 1lb bad of peanut butter flavored M&M's each day of my period but now I can control that as well. I will actually exercise more. Drinking more water helps with the cramps and bloating also.
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This was my problem this month, but I pushed through it! On the first day I chose to walk and I was so sore, uncomfortable, and felt defeated. It was something that was normal for me and I was not able to preform normally. However, yesterday I did something new that made me feel amazing! I did a fitness class. It was full of women who were encouraging, funny, and the instructor literally told me what to do. It is not as hard to do something when you have someone telling you exactly what to do. As for cravings, I have been giving into mine while staying in my calorie budget. One day I had two ferrero rocher (140 calories), and day I had a creamsicle (60 calories) and yesterday I had jello with whipped cream (45 calories). I know these have been empty calories, but they are making the lifestyle change easier for me. Maybe next month I will cut down even more?
  • leaner426
    Options
    Yes I exercise. It actually helps alleviate the cramps. Even if I just go for a long walk in the neighborhood it helps. I also notice that while I might want sugar and other things, it actually makes cramps and headaches worse. Best diet for me (not that I always follow it) is higher protein and veggies and fewer sugar/carbs.

Also, try telling yourself it isn't that bad and distract yourself by doing things. It is amazing how much worse a pain can get if you focus on it and tell yourself it is bad. I am not saying that you do not really hurt - I believe you do - but I know that for me if I give in to it the pains are worse than if I try to ignore it and do what I can.