That time of the month...an excuse or legitimate?

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Cramps and moodiness I can deal with. Exercise, iron, and some extra carbs help. The nausea my first day of the period is what usually keeps me from pushing too hard for a day or two.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Excuse. And this is coming from someone who used to get cramps so bad I'd literally pass out from the pain.

Exercise helps improve mood issues and a lot of the physical side effects of menstruation. If you're feeling down or uncomfortable exercise is probably actually what will help alleviate that--not the other way around.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I consider it an excuse. Usually if you workout then it will actually help with many of your symptoms.
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have severe endometriosis (confirmed with surgery), which as I'm sure you know causes extremely painful periods. Sometimes I get a cramp so bad that I literally "freeze" in place and cannot move it is so excruciating. TMI...it feels like my uterus is turning itself inside out. Can make for a really ackward moment if I'm at work or walking around walmart. I've mastered the "I'm just going to stop and look at this soooo interesting item on the shelf" move while trying not to groan. This has gotten somewhat better after my recent surgery, but it is just a matter of time before it is back to that level. The best advice for cramps is what my gychocologist/surgeon told me. Get ahead of the pain. Do not wait for the cramping to start or it is too late. I was told to start dosing myself with NSAIDS (Ibupropen, naproxen) two days before my period ideally or as soon as possible if you're irregular. Then continue on with the pain meds as needed.

As for exercising, I stick to walking during the worst days. I find that walking 45 minutes or as long as I can seems to help with the pain. I couldn't do heavy exercise as it would be too painful, but I find walking to be doable and beneficial. Now there have been a few days where it was impossible for me to even do that, so I just lower my calories that day to compensate. I cannot comment on food cravings, as I'm normally so nauseous from the pain. I actually tend to not want anything extra to eat on a bad day. I really hope this helps you, and I can totally understand.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's always an excuse. It depends. Does exercise make the pain worse? I went to a core strengthening yoga class the day before I got my period once and it was a huge mistake because I was in so much pain and, as I exercised, I was literally making myself nauseous. However, you can probably find some exercises, such as going on a long walk or jog, that may actually be helpful. At home, I always do some light yoga moves to keep myself from curling into a ball, because that makes things worse.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I popped up some advil and exercised as soon as it worked.

Notice the past tense... My period has been way better since I lost weight.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others that say that the more I exercise the less cramps I get. I definitely don't make it an excuse to eat whatever I want, but if I am in a lot of pain I won't exercise, I just adjust my calories accordingly.
  • Oodlez
    Oodlez Posts: 13
    Options
    Try minimal exercises. Instead of an intense cardio work out try like taking a walk around a park or track or (when the weather warms up) swimming. They're both feel very small but can make an impact either way on weight loss. That way you're still exercising for those matter of days and when those days are up; you can just go back to the gym or whatever!

As for food cravings; I've found it easier to just indulge yourself but not over do it. Like portion out everything. Last week I was talking myself out of Skittles for days and those days I was going over in calories so finally I just gave myself a 1/8 of a cup of skittles (not even a full serving) and I've been under my goal every day since.

You can try other things like if you're just craving something SWEET try something like (stated before) Nutella. But for those specific things; Just give yourself them in small amounts (or even the full amount) and count the calories. Odds are you aren't going to crave it the next day.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Work through it. I run 7 days a week and the only time off I take is if I'm really sick. I will say that last night I had cramping that I had never experienced before and the Motrin I took did nothing for the pain so if it had happened during my normal workout time there is no way I could have run. I told my husband that they were almost as bad as labor pains so no way could I run through that!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've found that exercising actually helps relieve the symptoms.

A lot of women use it as an excuse. For a few women, it's legitimate (but they should really be seeking a doctor's help, if the pain is that bad. Srs. It's not 'normal' to be in that much pain.)
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I definitely have issues overeating that time of the month--especially the day before it starts. Did you know your basal body temp goes up, and you burn about 2-400 more calories than normal for a full week of the month? No joke. Google it. That's why you're ravenous during that time.

I remember when I was a (fat) teenager and I ate a whole pan of brownies the day my period started...I'm like a black hole for one day a month, I swear. My sense of satiety is completely gone.

This ALSO means that if you stick to your diet, it's a great opportunity to see the number on the scale PLUMMET when you lose your water weight a week later.

As far as exercise, I usually have 1-2 days where I say "there's no way" and slack off, though it does make me feel better when I suck it up and actually do it. Plus it helps you sweat out some of that nasty water weight!!!! =)
  • livingmylegacy
    Options
    I think some women use it as an excuse to slack off completely for one week a month, when it isn't really necessary.

Now, I'm one of those women that gets cramps so bad I usually throw up, but I still do what I can. I don't say, "Oh well, I'm on my period so I'm going to eat all this chocolate just because." Instead, I allow myself a little bit more than usual and don't let it get out of hand. It's not like we lose total control just because we're on our periods.

If you're so sick/in pain that you literally cannot move or work out, then you just have to be extra vigilant with the food that you put in your mouth. But if all you can do is go for a walk, then go for a walk. Something is better than nothing.

Plus, I do find that exercise makes the cramps MUCH less painful, so there's that.
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Real men don't mind a little (or a lot for them heavy bleeders) blood.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends on the person, and even then it's day to day. In the beginning of mine, or at the end, it's not so bad. But if I'm having (TMI) leaking issues I may take a rest day. One day of rest or taking it a bit easier is better than the whole week off.
  • Kyttiara
    Kyttiara Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your personal symptoms. I have endometriosis as well as multiple cysts, so TOM can be excruciating. I have found, however, that a lot of times working out really helps. It increases circulation, releases endorphins, and now that I am really into lifting, it mentally helps me as well.

I have never really been a "craver" during TOM, so I can't help there. I do find that I am far more hungry (like most other posters) but that's just our bodies getting ready the possibility of sustaining new life. Once it passes, I'm good.

ETA: If it's a very heavy day, I will usually take it off just for sanitary/cleanliness reasons.
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have to 'pay my dues' as it were, and suffer through the first 12-24 hours of just awful cramps (like, cold sweats, shaking, naseau, fainting), and then it's smooth sailing for the 2-3 days remaining.

Because if I take any pain relievers in those first 12-24 hours, my period stops. Like, pauses until the pill wears off and then terrible cramps again. So rather than just delay the whole affair, I lay on the couch with a hot water bottle for a day (but one day only).
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think some women use it as an excuse to slack off completely for one week a month, when it isn't really necessary.

Now, I'm one of those women that gets cramps so bad I usually throw up, but I still do what I can. I don't say, "Oh well, I'm on my period so I'm going to eat all this chocolate just because." Instead, I allow myself a little bit more than usual and don't let it get out of hand. It's not like we lose total control just because we're on our periods.

If you're so sick/in pain that you literally cannot move or work out, then you just have to be extra vigilant with the food that you put in your mouth. But if all you can do is go for a walk, then go for a walk. Something is better than nothing.

Plus, I do find that exercise makes the cramps MUCH less painful, so there's that.

I think not to lose total control is important!!!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Real men don't mind a little (or a lot for them heavy bleeders) blood.
    A little lubricant never hurt anybody.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I can not speak as to what anyone else is feeling but I can say that my issues were legitimate enough to have a hysterectomy at 42 years old.

I also suffered from PMDD.

I was not able to exercise for a minim of 8 days per month due to the sheer amount of agony I was in due to endo and fibriods in my uterus (in the lining, not hanging off the walls). My chocolate cravings were insatiable and I would regularly eat 5000 calories a day for 3 or 4 days before old uncle TOM came to visit.

After my hysterectomy I was able to exercise on a regular basis and not binge on chocolate a week a month, so I was able to lose the weight I wanted to.

For me, my period ruled my life. I could not even make plans to pick some one up at the airport if it was going to be around my time.
  • callmeampersand
    callmeampersand Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    About a week before hand: Intense boob pain, so bad that i usually sleep in my bra because the pain from them being unsupported is too much to bear. This means no running, elliptical, etc because they tend to bounce even with the best of sports bras and that pain is almost unbearable. I am also ridiculously tired, i can fall asleep just about any where. I also crave anything sweet and/or salty...chocolate is my friend but my enemy during that time.

Week of(3-5 days): Horrid cramps, I can usually take some Midol and that combats the cramps plus gives me a boost of energy. I can usually manage to work out toward the end of my period.

I don't use my period as an excuse but I certainly know my limits when it comes to exhaustion and pain. I would rather get in a walk or weight session and feel good than push my self to my limit and pay for it later.