Birth Control Hell

Options
Sorry guys, there isn't a girls only thread. :ohwell:

I always avoid the scale while Aunt Flo is around, but recently I've come into some trouble. I stopped taking my birth control in hopes of switching to a new one, but I then found out that my Primary Care dropped me without any notification (don't worry, found a new one).

So now I'm detoxing from the pill while waiting to get an appointment and I'm having my second period this month (literally five days after my scheduled period). It's probably the most horrific period I've ever had.

I'm afraid to step on the scale because I have no idea what this might do to my weight fluctuations- I'm also worried that starting a new birth control will make it more difficult to shed pounds. My old birth control didn't cause me to gain weight, but I'm trying to find one with a lower dosage of hormones.

Has anybody's birth control given them trouble with weight loss goals?

Replies

• Oodlez
    Oodlez Posts: 13
    Options
    The one I take hasn't given me trouble at all, but I've also been on it for a few years now. I just started my weight loss goal and within less than two weeks have lost 6lbs. So I think it's safe to say I'm having no problems!

I haven't heard of any that makes it harder to lose weight either. I can imagine during the first month it'll be a tad more difficult because (like with any medication) it takes a bit of time to balance out. IF you have weight loss problems while taking this new one, I can only imagine it'll last that first month. Once everything balances out I can only think things will go back to normal.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I started the Nuva ring and had no issues with gaining weight from it. Its a low dose and its more localized so it doesn't cause as much full body effects.

Hopefully that helps?

And you're situation SUCKS!! I've had that before and its the worst. Maybe just try to relax, do some yoga and feel better before trying to weigh yourself?
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    I started the Nuva ring and had no issues with gaining weight from it. Its a low dose and its more localized so it doesn't cause as much full body effects.

I've been considering an IUD for that reason, but I know that both of my aunts have had trouble with them so I'm hesitant.
    IF you have weight loss problems while taking this new one, I can only imagine it'll last that first month. Once everything balances out I can only think things will go back to normal.

That makes sense to me. I was on my birth control for 3.5 years but didn't start my weight loss for about a year, so I see what you mean. That makes me feel a bit better.
  • Rachel818
    Rachel818 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just curious what trouble your aunts had with IUD as I am having some issues with it as well. My doc says that its all in my head but I am thinking of having it removed.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Hey, my sister in law got pregnant from a birth control recall! Just throwing that out there that there's much worse that can happen!

That being said, talk to your doctor about your concerns. And decide not to step on the scale until you get your cycle lined back out. Whatever you and your doctor decide is the best route for you-give your body some time to adjust to the changes.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    At your age, I'm not sure my route would be the best for you. I went with the Paragard copper IUD. It's a 10 year plan which will hopefully take me up to menopause (I can't believe that is potentially ten years away!!!). It can be removed at any time and you shouldn't have any trouble conceiving because of it. My only problem with it: EPIC cycles. Ugh, I don't remember having this much "activity" with my period EVER. Seven full days long. Strong flow... yeesh. it's a little crazy.

I've heard good and bad things about Mirena, but with that sucker, you may not have your period at all. I would've gone that route, but I didn't want to replace it in five years and I didn't want any hormones (at my age = bad).

I used to take the pill of one brand or another and always gained at least five pounds because of it.

Good luck honey. Hang in there!
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Birth control pills can actually help you with your PMS cravings. So I think it is beneficial.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Yes...but I'm on the minipill, so not sure if it counts.

Been trying to convince the hubby to go get fixed so I won't have to deal with this shizz anymore. He doesn't seem too excited.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have the implant and it has caused me to gain weight, but I havent had a period in years and never get the"OMG did i forget to take my pill" panic so i guess the pros outweigh the cons :)
  • wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am in LOVE with my IUD I have the merina. This is my 2nd one only bcause my 5 years were up and time to get a new one. I spotted and cramped a little for the first 3 months then after that I never had a period!!! It has worked wonderfully! I also never seen any weight gain with it either.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    For me, I always thought my birth control pills were the reason for my weight gain...I took Tri Sprintec. However, I have been off all birth control for almost 2 years now (just winging it :), which I don't advise btw...anyway, so after being off for 2 years, I have found that it was an excuse. I still gained weight not taking them. And it's still just as hard to lose it.

So, for me personally, I don't think birth control pills had anything to do with my weight. Now, the shot.....oh, I gained 20 pounds after the first 1 I got when I was 18, so I didn't get the second one.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I was had one for a month when i wanted to get off BC, then they told me to go back on in to stop, so i did and then came off again half a year later and didnt have a period for like 4 months, now don't go anywhere near that stuff, i'll just take the god awful cramps and the icky stuff, this was on the injection.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was on a BCP for the last 10+ years because my periods were crazy ridiculous. (Bleeding almost all month, every month). I was put on Desogen and told to take 3 packs of active pills and then let my body have a period. So, I was having a period every 2 1/2 months. Which was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Then I started losing weight and exercising. As soon as I got into a routine I found out that my body stopped listening to my birth control and started my cyle every month like clockwork. So, I decided to quit taking pills altogether. We shall see what happens.

Oh...and I exercise during TOM. I heard a rumor you burn more calories. Not sure if that is true, but running makes me feel like I'm shedding that stuff out of me faster. lol
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    A guy, yes. But in because I was raised by a single mother and I have 8 ( yes, 8 ) older sisters, an ex-wife, several girlfriends, and a current wife who all were women and thus I know way more about this stuff than I should. Pardon the intrusion but....

My ex was on Depo for about a year and a half. In that time she gained nearly 100lb. This is someone who normally sat around 130lbs and lost all of the weight from both babies in about three months, but the Depo just destroyed her metabolism. Hormones can really screw with you.

My current wife is also cycling off the pill for different reasons. She is using an OTC product called EstraSmart which helps to regulate hormones and keep things from getting too far out of wack. It seems to be working quite well. Maybe that's something you could look into.
  • heel_striker
    heel_striker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I went through something similar. I went off the pill in June after being on it for over 10 years, and noticed my weight starting to creep up, until I had gained about 20 + lbs in 2.5 months. My moods where horrible and looking back I was probably slightly depressed. I finally went to a naturopath, who tested my hormone levels, (cortisol, estrogen, progesterone etc). They were way off, once one goes off they apparently start to affect the others as they are all connected. She put me on a hypoallergenic diet for 3 weeks and gave me so supplements to use for 2 weeks to get my hormones working again. Once that was finished my weight started to fall off again. What doctors don't mention when you go on the pill is that if you are on it for 3 or more years, your body forgets how to produce certain hormones, and that is what happened to me. I have now lost the weight I gained plus more. I decided that I wasn't going to use the pill anymore because I just couldn't justify putting all those chemicals in anymore (nor did I want to have to go through the withdrawl from it again). Talk to your doctor as soon as you can, if you decide to go back on the pill (or any hormone type BC method) I would guess that your weight will be level out again. But if you decide to stay off, you might want to think about seeing someone. Good luck!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There should be no "detoxing" from the pill. That sounds hokey to me.

Just a change in regulating your hormones since that is what the pill does.
    This can affect some people more than others.

I have had no problems what so ever with the pill.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, HELL
    got off all birth control totally.
    i feel the best i have ever felt.
  • mmiller2584
    mmiller2584 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to include my own worries just in case. I have been on the shot now for nearly 6 months. and that's when i stopped losing weight. has anyone been able to conquer this problem? any change in the diet to beat this hurdle?
  • alibee88
    Options
    I have an implant and, while I love it as contraceptive, looking back I actually realised that I started to gain weight around the time that I had it put in.

Obviously it was me that ate the extra food but I think it must have caused changes in my appetite as I never really had issues with my weight before. It's not really causing me issues in losing the weight though. I know now though that, when I get it changed and get another stronger dose of the hormones that I'm going to have to be vigilant about my diet.

Honestly though, I think you should choose whatever contraceptive suits your lifestyle best as I'm sure you'll be able to avoid further weight gain if you continue to log your meals.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, there isn't a girls only thread. :ohwell:

I always avoid the scale while Aunt Flo is around, but recently I've come into some trouble. I stopped taking my birth control in hopes of switching to a new one, but I then found out that my Primary Care dropped me without any notification (don't worry, found a new one).

So now I'm detoxing from the pill while waiting to get an appointment and I'm having my second period this month (literally five days after my scheduled period). It's probably the most horrific period I've ever had.

I'm afraid to step on the scale because I have no idea what this might do to my weight fluctuations- I'm also worried that starting a new birth control will make it more difficult to shed pounds. My old birth control didn't cause me to gain weight, but I'm trying to find one with a lower dosage of hormones.

Has anybody's birth control given them trouble with weight loss goals?

Every woman reacts differently to every kind of birth control. Unfortunately, just because one woman did or did not gain weight on it, doesn't mean you will have the same experience. For example, a guy chimed in here and said his wife gained 100 pounds on depo. I was on Depo for almost 10 years and did not have ANY problems with it. No weight gain due to it and I lost 30 pounds rather easily over about 8 months while taking it.

If you are afraid your new pill will make you gain, you will want to be extra diligent about logging your food. LOG EVERY BITE!! Keep a very close eye on what you are eating and you'll be fine.

Oh, and I would recommend staying off the scale until a few days after Aunt Flo leaves. She will cause false higher numbers that will just upset you!