For the ladies ONLY

Options
ok so I don't know if its just me, but when its that time of the month I crave food ALL THE TIME! I get so hungry and ABSOLUTELY need chocolate... Why is that? The hormones make you hungrier or something?? I need help. I'm so close to going to the store and getting myself a cart of crappy filled foods!!! hahaha

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I recently read that some people who are about to have a migraine will crave chocolate b/c their magnesium levels are low.

I would think the same happens when you cycle.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I craved fast food an I had one huge bar of hersheys and a regular sized one.
    Now I dont feel like eating much but I am swallowing down these cookies. The only time in my life where I didnt crave chocolate was when I was on wellbutrin.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I recently read that some people who are about to have a migraine will crave chocolate b/c their magnesium levels are low.

this.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Any time you say for the Ladies ONLY you already know us Men are going to stop by, it's our Job :smile: :laugh:
  • kamalelwa
    kamalelwa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You are totally normal!! I for one can not get enough salty food and then I want some blue bell banana split ice cream. I usually cut myself some slack when I am having my monthly visit. I do not go nuts but I do not beat myself up for eating things I normally do not!!! Plus it is the weekend now--relax some!!!!!:smile:
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

good reply...and in this case the iron levels in chocolate was always MY excuse for craving it then...(no idea why I didnt have the same cravings for spinach!!!)
  • Kyttiara
    Kyttiara Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Could also be your body preparing for the possibility of feeding new life. Storing up those fats and such. Once your body figures out that you aren't, the cravings should stop.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's that time for me too and I am OBSESSING over donuts. :(!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

100% agree.

I have vestibular migraines with auras and used to feel the same way. I started Topamax for my migraines about a month ago and it's amazing how quickly it started working.

Due to my inflammatory bowel disease and having chronic diarrhea (sorry TMI), I am deficient in magnesium so I take two 250 mg pills a day.

I have heard that many people who are magnesium deficient crave chocolate. So maybe you should contact your doctor to get routine blood work just to check your levels. If you don't want to have the blood work done, go to a local pharmacy and buy a magnesium supplement.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This article is a must read ladies :

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-hormones-affect-your-nutritional-needs.navId-323475.html

To summarize, hormones affect the amount of energy used, even while resting. While menstruating, your body says I WANT MORE FOOD PLZ!!

Because science. :grumble:
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I totally crave chocolate as well, I put some raw cocoa powder in my pancake mix.. or make smoothies with it. It helps the craving.

Read this, it answered lots of questions. Apparently we even burn extra calories during TOM.

"Who knew? If you crave chocolate, it could be because it has magnesium, which you lose as estrogen levels start to dip."

"The good: Your body burns an extra 100 to 300 calories per day the week before your period, so if you’ve ever felt hungrier during that time, it’s for a good reason."

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/understanding-your-menstrual-cycle-109611
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Its not just chocolate, Im just ALWAYS hungry at this time but I guess chocolate would be my go to food. Im riding this wave out. I do it every month and it sucks. I do eat chocolate oats bars by Quaker I think, they are AMAZING!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options

good reply...and in this case the iron levels in chocolate was always MY excuse for craving it then...(no idea why I didnt have the same cravings for spinach!!!)
    Same here! "Dark chocolate is good for anemia, I'll just have some more!"
    And, of course, our body KNOWS that the iron in spinach has low bioavailability :laugh:
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Also I do have an iron deficiency so that makes sense. I take iron pills for it but I never knew that could be why I LOVE chocolate so much hahaha!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I keep a small bag of Tootsie Rolls at home - you get your chocolate flavor - but not the fat.......they're pretty low in calories.

Also, try herbal tea - either unsweetened or with artificial sweetener - no calories - sweet fix.
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Have some dark chocolate
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat a sugar free dark chocolate pudding cup....60 calories and I dont feel an ounce of guilt.
  • 10kgleft
    10kgleft Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read this ( http://www.kotex.com/na/articles-info/top-tips-to-beat-pms-cravings/10204 )article the other day as I was having a horrible day craving chocolate. Maybe it helps??
  • mck6888
    mck6888 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was craving Little Debbie zebra cakes yesterday because of my period! Which I have never enjoyed eating. Even as a kid I hated those cakes! What can I say, cravings are weird when we're menstrual!

I crave food 24/7 for at least a day or two when I'm on the rag. It's unavoidable for me. I just have been letting it happen, no good making yourself even more grouchy by not allowing yourself to indulge every now and then. I had a zebra cake yesterday...the first one hit the spot, after that, I was good.
  • mck6888
    mck6888 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This article is a must read ladies :

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-hormones-affect-your-nutritional-needs.navId-323475.html

To summarize, hormones affect the amount of energy used, even while resting. While menstruating, your body says I WANT MORE FOOD PLZ!!

Because science. :grumble:

^This!^