WTF!!! Canada's only gone and banned Marmite!

Options

Replies

• TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Weird Canucks. Hope Australia doesn't follow suit. Although my son prefers vegemite, the little rat
    Whaatttt???? He's half English!!!!! :noway:
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Lived in Quebec for 15 years and never heard of Marmite before entering this thread...
    Is it more popular in the rest of Canada (Quebec is hardly representative)?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Lived in Quebec for 15 years and never heard of Marmite before entering this thread...
    Is it more popular in the rest of Canada (Quebec is hardly representative)?
    We imported it to pacify expats, but then changed our minds.:wink: In my world in Ontario I've never had anyone mention marmite, ever......except my wife who's an expat.:happy:
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Fine!

Let's ban Justin Beiber and Nickleback imports in retaliation. Please God, let us ban Justin Beiber and Nickleback imports in retaliation...

Lol! Extra funny because I was just in the "would jail time do justin bieber good? Thread.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    According to the CFIA’s letter to the shop-owner, Marmite, Ovaltine, Lucozade, Penguin Bars and Bovril “are enriched with vitamins and minerals” and therefore illegal.

Am I thick but I don't see the problem with vitamins?

Well that's Canada off my list of potential places to live!! No Marmite, no Penguins and no Ovaltine (not bothered so much about Lucozade). Wait! Does that mean that p-p-p-p-Penguins can be classed as vitamin/mineral rich and are therefore "good for you"? Yay!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Fine!

Let's ban Justin Beiber and Nickleback imports in retaliation. Please God, let us ban Justin Beiber and Nickleback imports in retaliation...

Lol! Extra funny because I was just in the "would jail time do justin bieber good? Thread.

Images of his arrest have been released.

Beq7fMtCAAA_NXZ.jpg
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hey, stop making fun of us, please, eh?
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ontario and I don't think I've ever heard of Marmite before...I know that excess vitamins and minerals can be just as bad as too little sometimes, maybe that's why? Seems odd though, or maybe once it gets over a certain amount they have to classify it as a supplement rather than a food? Who knows lol
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I hope the cited it as a "health hazard", there is toooooooo much salt it a gram for any sane person
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Does Canada allow energy drinks like Red Bull and Monster? Those are both fortified with the same B vitamins as Marmite.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I hope the cited it as a "health hazard", there is toooooooo much salt it a gram for any sane person

Good job I'm not sane.....
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I had to look up Marmite LOL but doesn't sound yummy at all. Wikipedia (which of course I know isn't 100% accurate) describes it as "sticky dark brown food paste which is extremely salty"

EWWWWW

That is true, however, it's nicer than it sounds!

Remind me never to move to Canada, I love my marmite!!
  • fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it . . . but then again I live in Canada.
    Oh and PS - you might want to consider Canada, your body burns more calories up here trying to keep you warm :)
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Marmite is disgusting.

Canada is my kind of country.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Weird Canucks. Hope Australia doesn't follow suit. Although my son prefers vegemite, the little rat
    Whaatttt???? He's half English!!!!! :noway:

:laugh: the downside of having a half Australian nephew
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Vegemite all the way :wink: Now if it would just stop snowing and warm up I could visit Canada :laugh:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yeh, so it's nonsense:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1108920/cfia-says-marmite-irn-bru-not-banned-in-canada/

Which is what I figured when I couldn't find anything on the CFIA website anyways...
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Vegemite is much better anyway.

You sir, are a champion among men!

I love a savoury flax muffin, smothered in butter and vegemite!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The Canadian Food Inspection Agency wants the country to take a deep breath and have a calming sip of sugar-free Irn-Bru. The government agency released a statement over the weekend declaring that the Scottish beverage—along with Marmite, Ovaltine, Bovril and other British foodstuffs—are not banned in Canada, as was widely reported last week.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily-dish/food-news/2014/01/27/marmite-irn-bru-banned-canada-says-cfia/
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yeh, so it's nonsense:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1108920/cfia-says-marmite-irn-bru-not-banned-in-canada/

Which is what I figured when I couldn't find anything on the CFIA website anyways...

Special "Canadian" versions are still allowed. It's the original UK versions that are banned.