Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    summer bodies are made in the winter.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Lighter weights more reps. You don't wanna bulk out

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely try it out

Don't listen to this. Heavy weights, less reps. Pretty sure this guy is messing with you.

this.

I'm currently 18% bf (pic is around 20%) and I do Crossfit (heavy lifting, less reps) twice a week and HIIT cardio 5 days a week. That's just what worked for me - good luck!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why 18%? That's an awfully difficult goal "by summer"?

Also Lyle McDonald (fitness expert) states that the best way to maintain muscle while losing fat is strength routines, which are low reps and high weight.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

I'd suggest Stronglifts 5x5, Srarting Strength or New Rules of Weight Loss for Women.
  • rickyjames21
    Options
    I wasn't messing with the girl I was giving what I thought was good advice. It's been good for me and every other guy I know. Didn't know it was different for females. My Bad
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    going with the group on this worst thing that happens is you look more well toned and its not like thats a bad thing at all. even for a man eating at a deficit it is hard to add muscle.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

I have to differ with you on this. Bulk has to do with amount of calories you eat. you can still strength train and eat at a deficit. You will burn more calories. Don't grab them light weights and expect to break a sweat. Lift heavy with compound lifts and you will have more intensity to your workout. If you want both do a four day upper/lower split and on do this:

Monday: Heavy Upper
    Tuesday: Heavy Lower
    Wednesday: Rest (or cardio)
    Thursday: Hypertrophy Upper (Moderately heavy)
    Friday: Hypertrophy Lower (Moderately heavy)
    Sat: Rest (or cardio)
    Sun: Rest

You won't get the body you want with some light 10 to 15 pound dumbbells for 15-20 reps. Women don't think because you are lifting heavy you are going to bulk like a man. It is how the fitness models you want to look like train. Light weight is low intensity and you won't burn as many calories.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I wasn't messing with the girl I was giving what I thought was good advice. It's been good for me and every other guy I know. Didn't know it was different for females. My Bad

it's different for guys too.

higher weights and less reps make you stronger. your size is a direct relationship with your diet.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

The "high rep, low weight, avoid bulk" is still a widely believed myth. My own husband actually told me this just the other day. I have been doing high weight, low rep for 2 years. Still not bulky.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit plus a good resistance training program.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Lifting a challenging weight for you will NOT make you bigger if you are in a calorie deficit....It will allow you to retain more lean mass as you lose body fat...which is ideal for the bikini body you are working toward.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

:huh:

And how exactly do you suppose she'll "bulk" when she's eating below maintenance/at a deficit? Hmm? Do the magical muscle-building fairies visit her in her sleep? Yeesh.

OP, lift heavy/low reps (find a good progressive lifting program like Stronglifts, Starting Strength or All Pro's Beginner Routine), eat at a moderate deficit (10-15% below TDEE). You'll cut body fat, retain (NOT BUILD) muscle, and look lean and sculpted (NOT BULKY) and ready for the beach.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I never did the low weight high rep thing. What worked for me was a core program (5/3/1) plus 3x10 accessory lifts of my choosing.

About 60-90 minutes in the gym, 4 days a week. Plus fun cardio on non gym days.

But there are all sorts on the beach who wear bikinis. If you don't hit goal, don't let it spoil your fun beach time.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

And how exactly do you suppose she'll "bulk" when she's eating below maintenance/at a deficit? Hmm? Do the magical muscle-building fairies visit her in her sleep? Yeesh.

OP, lift heavy/low reps (find a good progressive lifting program like Stronglifts, Starting Strength or All Pro's Beginner Routine), eat at a moderate deficit (10-15% below TDEE). You'll cut body fat, retain (NOT BUILD) muscle, and look lean and sculpted (NOT BULKY) and ready for the beach.

Can I get them muscle building fairies come over to mine?? I promise I'll sleep for very long!!

But srsly listen to her, she knows!
  • lisajuliette
    lisajuliette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have to get from 25% body fat to 18% body fat ATLEAST by summer.. Need motivation.. Friend requests welcome :)

I'm totally with you girl! Let's do this! Friend request headed your way ;)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Can I get them muscle building fairies come over to mine?? I promise I'll sleep for very long!!

But srsly listen to her, she knows!

In, for magical muscle building fairies. 11 months of heavy lifting mostly in the 5 rep range and the most I get asked is if I do pilates. You won't bulk up, OP.
  • ColoradoCountryGal
    Options
    18% is just my goal, as long as I'm happy by summer.. but 18% eventually! And okay I wont listen to that guy, lolthanks for all the advice!!!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    18% is just my goal, as long as I'm happy by summer.. but 18% eventually! And okay I wont listen to that guy, lolthanks for all the advice!!!

FWIW, I went from about mid/high-20% range to 18% between February and June last year: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081300-i-ate-i-trained-i-progressed-w-pics It's an achievable goal.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Aw, rickyjames came, gave bad advice, and deactivated. And I was so looking forward to his pestering us to ask him about his allusions that he's a pro ball player.

OP - I am doing Strong Lifts 5x5, and it's easy to understand and awesome thus far.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary is the best summary I've found for the program.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options

FWIW, I went from about mid/high-20% range to 18% between February and June last year: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081300-i-ate-i-trained-i-progressed-w-pics It's an achievable goal.

You look fantastic!
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Lite weights more reps burns fat builds muscle without bulking. She isn't a body builder she was trying to reduce body fat by 8%. Been there done that.

Effing A, man, some 18yo girl lifting heavy isn't going to turn into the She-Hulk.

People need to get over this.
  • Primeval_Princess
    Options
    Don't listen to this. Heavy weights, less reps. Pretty sure this guy is messing with you.

Yep