What kind of Food Scale should I get?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have been noticing that some of the food I have been eating have servings based on how much they weigh. I don't have food scale so I am positive my calorie count is not accurate when it comes to those foods because I am just guessing. I have never had a food scale, but would like one. I don't know what to look for or what brands are good. I have looked online a little bit. I see some are electronic and some aren't. I really don't know where to start or what I should get.

I am just wondering if anyone has a recommendation of what kind of food scale I should get? Please let me know if you do. I would appreciate any feedback.

Replies

• brad2021hk
    Options
    I would just get one that's electronic and has a tare button. The $15-$25 one is probably fine.

More money will get you different aesthetics. That's a personal preference thing. You can also get more accuracy at lower weights. People that are into high-end espresso at home care about 0.1g increments. 0.1g does not matter for food measurement. 1g or 0.04oz increment is more than sufficient.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I have had this scale for almost two years and I use it multiple times a day (I use it a ton when I am baking in addition to weighing my meals, since it saves considerably on cleanup - fewer measuring cups and spoons to wash!). It's cheap, durable (I have dropped it on the floor several times >.>) and easy to clean, so I'd recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N07KUE/ref=ox_ya_os_product
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I got mine from Shopper's Drug Mart today it was $65 but definitely worth the investment because it has a food database in it. So you just look up the number for what you have (ex. red peppers) and it will tell you how many calories for that weight.

It's pretty awesome.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Get one that's easy to clean. Mine has physical buttons that are a pain to keep clean so if I bought a new one it would have a flat service without small spaces to have to clean out.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Digital with a tare feature and the ability to switch between ounces and grams. Doesn't have to be super fancy or expensive as long as you have those features.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just went with a cheap digital one from Wal-Mart...they did have a "biggest loser" scale...that claimed to knkw calories of weighed foods but instead went with the cheaper digital version..but yes it does make logging a lot more accurate I think...lol though my family looks at me like I'm crazy...haha
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    I have the simpler "Biggest loser" scale. Has grams and ounces. Easy use and easy clean. Bed, Bath and Beyond. It is about three years old and I think I paid around $25 for it. Good luck on your journey. Yes, weighting is so much more accurate!
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Got mine on amazon for 35$. It is digital with a tare button and also can be switched from grams to ml to fluid ounces and regular ounces. It is awesome when you are putting together a salad or even mixing a shake. No more tablespoon to measure out dressing just the tare button:). It is worth the investment!!!
  • bogden78
    bogden78 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Digital with a tare feature and the ability to switch between ounces and grams. Doesn't have to be super fancy or expensive as long as you have those features.
    this!! I just got a new one from Amazon for about $16
  • deannasueknutson
    deannasueknutson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. :-)
  • Chellebear01
    Chellebear01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would go for a digital scale that has a tare button (otherwise you are placing your food right on the scale) along with grams, ounces and pounds.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I like that fluid ounce idea. Wish mine had that!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I have an Ozeri, it ran me about $11 on Amazon. It seems repeatable, and does pounds, ounces, grams, milliliters, and has the tare function.

Rigger
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I really like my Ozeri. Looks cool, works great and the glass top makes it really easy to keep clean. I got this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Digital-Kitchen-Tempered/dp/B003MSZBSI/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1391025274&sr=1-5&keywords=food+scale
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have a digital one. It measures in both grams and ounces. I love it! Especially for chicken and other meat. I use mine daily. I started with a none digital one and switched a few weeks later. It is pretty accurate and only costs about $25 dollars. Plus its stainless steal and looks good in the kitchen. :)