Wieghtwatchers, your views please

Options
I am thinking of joining the above, is it worth it! and does it work, your views please, many thanks. PG!":love:

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You'll hear all sorts of opinions on this, but my view is yes, it can work but a LOT of people put the weight back on after they stop buying the program foods. I think it would be a better investment to get some good cross-trainers, a DVD workout, a digital food scale, and a heart rate monitor and eat real foods in a sustainable manner. Foods you can prepare yourself without the added sodium to preserve it. Foods you can control the portions and contents of.

Don't be afraid of making your way through figuring out what works best. It'll all work out in the end!

Good luck!
  • bagpuss66
    bagpuss66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have tried WW and slimming world, and yes they can both work. My sister lost almost 3 stone with WW, I preferred SW, it was easier for me to understand, but that is a personal view. The group format is great and very supportive but at the end of the day only you can lose weight by doing what you know you need to do. I did use SW as extra support as it helped me to be accountable and have to stand on the scales every week, but in the end I was doing it because my head was in the right place.

The real key is learning new, better behaviours to avoid putting the weight back on afterwards.

Good luck :-)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think it's a program that probably worked in the past. The changed up their program and STUPIDLY have made fruits and vegetables "0 point" foods. Of course you can't be shocked to see a ton of people, mindlessly following the program without even thinking of actual nutrition and calories, complaining that their weight loss stopped, or reversed, on the new plan. Well yes, if you're eating 8 additional pieces of fruit a day, on top of your regular food, and seriously think they don't count because a corporation gave them 0 caloric value, you're in for a shock. Lots of people caught up in the point system don't even know anything about the amount of calories they're consuming.

I think people forget it's a business. They want to keep you as a member, attending meetings, buying WW merchandise, spinning your wheels for as long as possible. I watched my wife do nearly 2 years of Weight Watchers, losing at a snails pace, and being cheered all along. There was no real accountability. Nobody at meetings seemed to be much of a help when she stalling for months, or losing miniscule amounts of weight, like .1 and .2 pounds, or gaining. It was a huge culture of enablement. I would be giving her sound advice at home, but it took her a long time to get out of the cult mentality WW can foster. And boy did those people LOVE to waste their money on low quality WW product crap.

I'm sure will give better reviews. But me personally, I struggle to see the point of paying some corp to help you lose weight. Especially since WW's success long term in maintenance is just as abysmal as every other diet and lifestyle program.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You'll hear all sorts of opinions on this, but my view is yes, it can work but a LOT of people put the weight back on after they stop buying the program foods. I think it would be a better investment to get some good cross-trainers, a DVD workout, a digital food scale, and a heart rate monitor and eat real foods in a sustainable manner. Foods you can prepare yourself without the added sodium to preserve it. Foods you can control the portions and contents of.

Don't be afraid of making your way through figuring out what works best. It'll all work out in the end!

Good luck!

You don't need to buy any weightwatchers foods, all the programme does is teach you portion control with healthy foods. There's actually nothing that you can't eat as long as you keep within the "points" allowance. I did weightwatchers for years and got to my goal weight four years ago. I maintained that for a while but have regained about half of what I lost over the last 18 months or so. I now follow the same diet but count the calories on MFP instead of points, and one thing I never have are ready meals!

I'd suggest giving ww a go for a month or two to get into good habits, then save your money and log on MFP when you get the hang of it - good luck!! :smile:
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I vote for MFP and a fitbit zip. The only cost was the fitbit. the end.:flowerforyou:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Nobody lives on WW foods on the program and goes off them after. It's not Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig. They teach you how to eat on your own, with your own foods. They sell a few convenience snacks is all.

WW doesn't tell people fruit has no calories and it's ok to eat eight servings a day.

They have one of the most respected weight loss programs in the country and have been at it for like 60 years. They know what they're doing. Yes, it costs a little money and no, it's not perfect or effortless or even particularly fast. And the company web site and apps generally suck and their snack foods are overpriced. The meetings can be useless or preachy or salesy or motivating and educational, depending on your leader. But if you want some direction and good info and support with a plan that's got a tracking element but also doesn't make you track every bite you eat, it might be good for you.
  • Shuuma
    Options
    I think I unintentionally touched a few nerves so I'll clarify: Those who I personally know that relied on the program foods during their weight loss with WW, gained everything and more back when they stopped using the foods on their journey. I suppose I should have included the words "in my personal experience." It's not my intention to spread misinformation or contention. I'm sorry for not phrasing it better in my initial post.

I don't think anything that inspires people to lose weight is bad. I think there are plenty of options that may or may not be more effective for some people. Some people will succeed with WW. Just like anything else, it's determination on the part of the person losing weight.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Pros - can be a good way to get started looking at what you are eating and how big a portion. The scale can reinforce a "good" week. Anyone who hasn't successfully " dieted" may benefit from 6 weeks or a month of "education" about foods that can pack on the pounds, keep you from being hungry, move toward healthy options.

Cons - over simplifies weight loss. "You have a choice."

Does not address food addiction issues to sugar, salty snacks, specific foods for some people that are binge foods. Some people binge on fast food, peanut butter, etc., etc.

Expensive.

A person gaining weight eating fruits and veggies may also be secretly binging on unhealthy or high calorie foods.

If some is more than 100 pounds overweight, I can almost guarantee you they have food issues.

Even 30 pounds over (or underweight too). Food problems come in all sizes.

Check out Overeaters anonymous podcasts and info online to see if you can identify with members and perhaps address your weight with help from them. (With or without weight watchers.)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Anything that restricts calories and focuses on nutrition is going to work if you put the work into it. So you find your groove and work it. Whatever inspires you!

Personally, I'll compare WW Online to MFP. I like MFP better because I cook a lot and it's easier to track. If you're going to WW meetings, that's a different story.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Those who I personally know that relied on the program foods during their weight loss with WW, gained everything and more back when they stopped using the foods on their journey.
    I think you might be confusing it with another plan, one where there are program foods.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in. I have done WW in the past and had both success and failure. The first time, I lost some weight and put it right back on. I tried again after my son was born and I was at my highest weight, ever. I lost 25 lbs and became a Lifetime Member. But I started to let things slide when it came to counting points. About 10 lbs have crept back up on me, of and on, over the last several years. At one point, about 3 years ago, I joined again. By then, WW had changed over to the Points Plus system. Sadly, the previous system was the one that was ingrained in my head and I struggled with the new points. I kept wanting to eat the way I had when I was successful, but all those foods had new point values, and those new values had me hitting my daily points quickly. I ended up hungry all the time. And the free fruit? Nope, that did not work for me. I tried to continue the plan while counting points for fruit. I was at my daily total even quicker.

After close to a year of paying for WW Online, and only half-heartedly participating, I quit. I joined MFP instead. I saved quite a bit of money, On MFP, I am basically doing the same thing as I was on WW, except I'm counting calories instead. I calculated MY TDEE instead of relying on a generic number (MFP's or WW's) and I find it much easier. Because I can log my food and see the actual caloric breakdown instead of an overall point value, I have better control of what I'm doing. Yes, I suck at hitting my macro's, but because I can see the WHOLE picture, I know where my problems lie. When I go way too heavy on carbs (like 60+ %) and too little on some more filling proteins and fats, I tend to be hungrier. The same was true when I was counting points, but I wasn't seeing it all broken-down like that. It helps me plan the day a little better. I also know that I won't log on MFP one morning and find out they changed the program. ;-)

Bottom line, WW works. MFP works. BOTH will stop working when you stop tracking and paying attention. On that they balance. What you really need to consider is: 1) Do I need or prefer to attend meetings with others and hopefully find support, 2) Do I prefer the simplified point system, or the bigger caloric picture, 3) Will I be more motivated by someone else weighing me in or can I be accountable to myself, 4) Will I get my money's worth. There is no right or wrong answer, just your preference.

Best of luck to you. And if you do choose WW (ain't no shame in it!) watch that free fruit & veg. People tend to only hear "free" and start packing it in. It usually backfires. :-)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

WW doesn't tell people fruit has no calories and it's ok to eat eight servings a day.=

Yes, they actually do. When they updated their system to the latest Points Plus version, they made many raw fruits and vegetables "free" foods with 0 points, and that includes more calorie heavy fruits like bananas. Perhaps it's been a few years since you did it, but that's how it goes now.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=59781

And it's faced a lot of backlash as mindless people began gorging on fruit, believing that they had no caloric impact, and seeing their weight loss slow, or stop, or start regaining. The only way many of the WW clients from the older days got their weight back on track was to switch back to previous versions of the plan that counted all food.
  • Shuuma
    Options
    Those who I personally know that relied on the program foods during their weight loss with WW, gained everything and more back when they stopped using the foods on their journey.
    I think you might be confusing it with another plan, one where there are program foods.

Weight Watchers has a line of foods you can use to aid your point counting. There are freezers full of them at the grocery store. They aren't compulsory, but they are available.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I just noticed the username lol
    and weightwatchers is cool, I started a month on it (thats all I think) its too expensive.. I really enjoy the fact they have a dietician there to help.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yep. That is the case. Now, they do try to tell people that they don't mean you should gorge yourself on fruit and veg, but then they also state that "fruits and veg don't make people fat". Kind of a mixed message. And let's face it, most people stop listening at "FREE". Many people who were on the program prior to this change, started having trouble. Especially those who were already incorporating fruit into their daily routine. If you were to calculate the points of fruit on the new system, they are a little higher than they used to be. Many people started throwing caution to the wind and seeing it on the scale. i'm guilty. I never really ate much fruit, but started eating more because it was free. "Hello, new found pounds. Where did you come from?"

I'll add that I was afraid of nuts when doing WW. They were kind of high in points and i wanted to save those points for what would have felt like more food. That is why I need the big picture. I now embrace the almond! :-)
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

Weight Watchers has a line of foods you can use to aid your point counting. There are freezers full of them at the grocery store. They aren't compulsory, but they are available.
    Yeah, expecting to eat those the rest of your life would be a terrible plan. That's not really what they encourage people to do, in my experience. They're very into recipes and cookbooks and learning to eat out sensibly and using convenience foods to fill in the gaps, not to live on.

We all know people who've failed on diet plans because they give them up. No diet plan works when you stop it. You have to incorporate enough of the principles into your daily life. It's not easy.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

Yep, they're called Weight Watchers Smart Ones. They're all up in my frozen section too. As you say they're not compulsory, but a person could build the majority of their base on WW off crappy, processed WW food if they make that mistake and fall into a bad habit.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Yep. That is the case. Now, they do try to tell people that they don't mean you should gorge yourself on fruit and veg, but then they also state that "fruits and veg don't make people fat". Kind of a mixed message. And let's face it, most people stop listening at "FREE". Many people who were on the program prior to this change, started having trouble. Especially those who were already incorporating fruit into their daily routine. If you were to calculate the points of fruit on the new system, they are a little higher than they used to be. Many people started throwing caution to the wind and seeing it on the scale. i'm guilty. I never really ate much fruit, but started eating more because it was free. "Hello, new found pounds. Where did you come from?"

This.

After my wife told me about the plan, and people in meetings complaining about weight loss slowing and stopping on it, I thought "this is nuts". I did a quick search and found scores of threads, with hundreds of postings, and thousands of views, of people screaming about how they were losing on the old plan but not the new one. And reading the posts you quickly began to see a theme; tons of people overeating on fruit, and STILL not understanding that the fruit was the problem. I saw people who were eating several bananas a day, plus grapes, apples, oranges, whatever. One poor woman was crying about how she had begun gaining and then admitted that she was eating almost 10 bananas a day to satiate her sweets craving, and still didn't see the problem because WW told everyone that fruits and vegetables were "free".

I couldn't believe my eyes.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Nobody lives on WW foods on the program and goes off them after. It's not Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig. They teach you how to eat on your own, with your own foods. They sell a few convenience snacks is all.

WW doesn't tell people fruit has no calories and it's ok to eat eight servings a day.

They have one of the most respected weight loss programs in the country and have been at it for like 60 years. They know what they're doing. Yes, it costs a little money and no, it's not perfect or effortless or even particularly fast. And the company web site and apps generally suck and their snack foods are overpriced. The meetings can be useless or preachy or salesy or motivating and educational, depending on your leader. But if you want some direction and good info and support with a plan that's got a tracking element but also doesn't make you track every bite you eat, it might be good for you.

I agree. I've been on WW since the days when you had to make your own Ketchup. I find MFP more helpful to me but WW is not a bad program.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers years ago after my daughter was born and lost weight on it. It is a good program, and you can (and really should) do it without buying the prepared meals sold by WW. The program has changed somewhat since then, I think, but it's still pretty much the same concept. You get so many points for a day, each point is worth roughly 50 calories or so, give or take a little, and you get some freebies, or no-point foods, like veggies. You're encouraged to spend your points on healthy foods, but you can eat anything.

I did have some trouble losing on the WW plan because I think they allow you to have too many calories, or points, on the program, or at least for me. I did it for several weeks and didn't lose any weight until I started eating less than they told me I could eat. I think that's maybe because I didn't have a lot of weight to lose.

I actually was going to join WW this time around until I found this site and decided it was essentially the same thing (food diary counts calories, not points, but same basic idea) and its FREE.

If you need to learn how to eat healthy, though, Weight WAtchers will teach you.