I don't eat enough calories

Options
13»

Replies

• brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've seriously been attempting to lose weight since the 16th of January. I only started to log my foods two days ago...

I wasn't eating much already, so what you see in my diary is pretty much the same amount of calories I've been eating before.

I don't think I'm anorexic and I don't feel bad or anything. Do I really need to see a doctor?

How much do you weight? How tall are you? What is your goal?

You are not eating enough w/ only 400 calories not burned.. to low dear!!

I'm not sure but I think I'm 170lbs (probably less, now). I don't have a scale. I think I'm 5'7'' or 5'6''. My goal is to lose 50lbs, but I'm more interested in losing inches. Eventually, I want to fit my old pants ranging from size 7 to 00.

You should get a scale, or weigh on the one at the gym or something.

120 for your height seems to low.. for me at 5'4" I should weigh like 130.. so you should probably weigh a little more than that I would assume.
  • Azra124
    Azra124 Posts: 39
    Options
    Like I said I'm not sure, I just really wanna lose inches and tone my body. But I'll try and weigh myself soon.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've seriously been attempting to lose weight since the 16th of January. I only started to log my foods two days ago...

I wasn't eating much already, so what you see in my diary is pretty much the same amount of calories I've been eating before.

I don't think I'm anorexic and I don't feel bad or anything. Do I really need to see a doctor?

How much do you weight? How tall are you? What is your goal?

You are not eating enough w/ only 400 calories not burned.. to low dear!!

I'm not sure but I think I'm 170lbs (probably less, now). I don't have a scale. I think I'm 5'7'' or 5'6''. My goal is to lose 50lbs, but I'm more interested in losing inches. Eventually, I want to fit my old pants ranging from size 7 to 00.

You should get a scale, or weigh on the one at the gym or something.

120 for your height seems to low.. for me at 5'4" I should weigh like 130.. so you should probably weigh a little more than that I would assume.

120 is fine for her height as a goal but something doesn't ring true with this one
  • hilts1969
    Options
    Like I said I'm not sure, I just really wanna lose inches and tone my body. But I'll try and weigh myself soon.

Do not want to be blunt but if you weigh 170lbs as a woman and at your height you need to lose fat, your two days logged here cannot be normal, you must have been eating well over 2000 calories for quite some time, reducing this to 400 or so is just downright stupid

As i said either give us some history or stop wasting our time, i weigh 170 and am a 6 2 bloke, this has nothing to do with inches or toning up
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Okay I've set my diary to public.

A few more bits of info on me:

I'm lactose intolerant. There's lactose free stuff, but it's more expensive than regular diary.
    I've been taking the Women's Ultra Mega Active vitapak from GNC
    I've hated peanut butter since childhood. We were poor, so when I wanted a sweet snack, my mom used to give me a heaping spoonful of peanut butter to eat. :( That - and mayo on bread.

I like avocados, though. Guacamole is good?

If you are lactose intolerant, you may still be able to eat yogurt. I like a good greek yogurt like Fage or Chobani 2% fat, with a tablespoon of Nutella. Nutella is basically hazelnut and chocolate, blended up like peanut butter. Heaven on Earth. This is my go-to snack when I'm under calories and protein at the end of the day.

Avocados are awesome! Home-made guacamole is really healthy, especially if you throw in fresh tomatoes and peppers. I only say home-made because I'm careful about my salt intake. I also like to smash half an avocado into a slice of toasted rye bread. Heck, I'll just eat an avocado with a spoon, by itself.

I can totally relate to the mayo on bread. I don't know how us poor kids hit on this combo, but it is like a universal thing! I'm not going to make assumptions about your life, but I know that being poor/hungry as a kid impacted my relationship with hunger. I can block it out without even realizing it, sometimes for days, but I also have a lifetime of feast and fast cycles that made me fat. First two weeks of the the month we would feast on mountains of mashed potatoes and pork chops and good stuff, and the last two weeks its cheerios and mayo on bread until we ran out. I'm saying this mostly for the inevitable person who will see this thread and accuse you of lying about your intake, lying about not being hungry, or assuming you are intentionally depriving yourself, etc. There are people on here who are viscous about this, so don't let them get to you.

**ETA**
    If you aren't super concerned about losing a specific amount of pounds, then don't worry about weighing except to get a feel for how many calories you need. Weighing daily/weekly/monthly effects everyone differently, some it motivates and others it turns all obsessive, and others it feeds into depression. Do what makes you happiest :)
  • Azra124
    Options

Do not want to be blunt but if you weigh 170lbs as a woman and at your height you need to lose fat, your two days logged here cannot be normal, you must have been eating well over 2000 calories for quite some time, reducing this to 400 or so is just downright stupid

As i said either give us some history or stop wasting our time, i weigh 170 and am a 6 2 bloke, this has nothing to do with inches or toning up

This IS how I normally eat. It has been like this for a few weeks now and the last time I weighed myself was over a month ago. At 18, I weighed about 116 lbs. That was 2 years ago. Over those past two years, YES I had been eating heavy fast food and junk foods during that time. However, recently - my calorie intake has gone down.

The reason I haven't been eating that many calories normally over the past few weeks:
    When there's no money, there's no food. The food stamps don't come in until next month. In the mean time, we have to ration.
    In addition to having low food stamps, we also have to walk to the grocery store or take the bus. Not good in snowy weather. We used to have a car and could go to walmart to get really cheap foods. The closest store near us does not have the same bargain prices and we end up spending more on less food.

It my have been 'stupid' to cut down to 400 cals per day, but it certainly was not deliberate.

And it's about what I say it's about. I don't like the way my body looks - don't really care how much I weigh.

Is that enough history or do you need more information?
  • Azra124
    Options
    Okay I've set my diary to public.

A few more bits of info on me:

I'm lactose intolerant. There's lactose free stuff, but it's more expensive than regular diary.
    I've been taking the Women's Ultra Mega Active vitapak from GNC
    I've hated peanut butter since childhood. We were poor, so when I wanted a sweet snack, my mom used to give me a heaping spoonful of peanut butter to eat. :( That - and mayo on bread.

I like avocados, though. Guacamole is good?

If you are lactose intolerant, you may still be able to eat yogurt. I like a good greek yogurt like Fage or Chobani 2% fat, with a tablespoon of Nutella. Nutella is basically hazelnut and chocolate, blended up like peanut butter. Heaven on Earth. This is my go-to snack when I'm under calories and protein at the end of the day.

Avocados are awesome! Home-made guacamole is really healthy, especially if you throw in fresh tomatoes and peppers. I only say home-made because I'm careful about my salt intake. I also like to smash half an avocado into a slice of toasted rye bread. Heck, I'll just eat an avocado with a spoon, by itself.

I can totally relate to the mayo on bread. I don't know how us poor kids hit on this combo, but it is like a universal thing! I'm not going to make assumptions about your life, but I know that being poor/hungry as a kid impacted my relationship with hunger. I can block it out without even realizing it, sometimes for days, but I also have a lifetime of feast and fast cycles that made me fat. First two weeks of the the month we would feast on mountains of mashed potatoes and pork chops and good stuff, and the last two weeks its cheerios and mayo on bread until we ran out. I'm saying this mostly for the inevitable person who will see this thread and accuse you of lying about your intake, lying about not being hungry, or assuming you are intentionally depriving yourself, etc. There are people on here who are viscous about this, so don't let them get to you.

**ETA**
    If you aren't super concerned about losing a specific amount of pounds, then don't worry about weighing except to get a feel for how many calories you need. Weighing daily/weekly/monthly effects everyone differently, some it motivates and others it turns all obsessive, and others it feeds into depression. Do what makes you happiest :)

*sigh* Thank you. I didn't wanna put my life story on here, but you definitely had a similar time.
    I was always underweight/malnourished as a child and when I became an adult with money, I realized I could eat more, so I did. Now it's back to the poor life, so I figured I'd save money avoiding the bad foods and eating less. I started this weight loss journey on the 16th like: 'Might as well.'
  • hilts1969
    Options

This IS how I normally eat. It has been like this for a few weeks now and the last time I weighed myself was over a month ago. At 18, I weighed about 116 lbs. That was 2 years ago. Over those past two years, YES I had been eating heavy fast food and junk foods during that time. However, recently - my calorie intake has gone down.

The reason I haven't been eating that many calories normally over the past few weeks:
    When there's no money, there's no food. The food stamps don't come in until next month. In the mean time, we have to ration.
    In addition to having low food stamps, we also have to walk to the grocery store or take the bus. Not good in snowy weather. We used to have a car and could go to walmart to get really cheap foods. The closest store near us does not have the same bargain prices and we end up spending more on less food.

It my have been 'stupid' to cut down to 400 cals per day, but it certainly was not deliberate.

And it's about what I say it's about. I don't like the way my body looks - don't really care how much I weigh.

Is that enough history or do you need more information?

Right so you used to be a slim 116lbs but then ate fast food for quite a while and now the pounds have piled on you want to do something about it, you need to eat at an amount that will make you lose weight at a steady rate probably in the 1200-1500 mark and do some exercise, with regards your financial situation you can eat 500, 1000,1500,2000 or 3000 calories on the same budget

i guess your american i am british but the rule applies, your bank balance or lack of has nothing to do with calorie intake

do research and don't eat crap or skip meals
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options

*sigh* Thank you. I didn't wanna put my life story on here, but you definitely had a similar time.
    I was always underweight/malnourished as a child and when I became an adult with money, I realized I could eat more, so I did. Now it's back to the poor life, so I figured I'd save money avoiding the bad foods and eating less. I started this weight loss journey on the 16th like: 'Might as well.'

Well I'd like to say, looking back, it has taken me a decade of being an adult with money to get to the point where I understand my hunger and can have perspective on my food choices. It's good that you are addressing it now, so you can enjoy your 20's more than I did :)

A good way to handle the fast/feast cycle while still eating consistently healthy, is to cook in bulk and freeze your meals. Pick 3 or 4 recipes you like, ones that freeze well and you can see yourself eating all month. Take a look at the recipes section of the message boards for some ideas that have lots of protein and vegetables. And don't listen to the carb-haters who would have you give up potatoes. They are good for you! Just not mountains and mountains, like I used to have as a teenager. You can poke and microwave a medium or large potato.. Cover it with a damp paper towel to keep it from drying out in the microwave. A sack of potatoes is relatively inexpensive, and will keep for the month.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
  • Azra124
    Options

Well I'd like to say, looking back, it has taken me a decade of being an adult with money to get to the point where I understand my hunger and can have perspective on my food choices. It's good that you are addressing it now, so you can enjoy your 20's more than I did :)

A good way to handle the fast/feast cycle while still eating consistently healthy, is to cook in bulk and freeze your meals. Pick 3 or 4 recipes you like, ones that freeze well and you can see yourself eating all month. Take a look at the recipes section of the message boards for some ideas that have lots of protein and vegetables. And don't listen to the carb-haters who would have you give up potatoes. They are good for you! Just not mountains and mountains, like I used to have as a teenager. You can poke and microwave a medium or large potato.. Cover it with a damp paper towel to keep it from drying out in the microwave. A sack of potatoes is relatively inexpensive, and will keep for the month.
    :happy: Thanks, I'll do that
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I suspect your diary isn't terribly accurate (a lot of the entries don't have macros which is a big red flag). But even so, you need more calories.

I'd focus on weight training at this point for body composition.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you have worn a size 00, eat 400 calories comfortably for long periods of time, and have no idea what you weigh
    please do not invest in a scale.
    I'm not an expert, but it looks like you have some disordered eating. NOT AN EATING DISORDER but something has gone amiss. Build muscles. Have real food for breakfast with a CARB and some sort of PROTEIN. If you smoke stop it. If you drink liters of caffeinated beverages at a time knock it off. Fry your egg in vegetable oil or something. You need to spur your appetite with delicious food. Add colors. Bell peppers are so colorful and fantastic- stuff them with meat and spices and bake them at 350 degrees and kill them with your facehole. Because you need to fuel your body and make it go do things. Like aerobics. And sleeping. And standing in line. I've eaten 900 calories a day before because life gets messy and I can't even do the sedentary things I need to do on that, let alone if I ate 400 calories and called it a day.
    I see your food diary. All your food is the same color- hardboiled egg, pierogie, pineapple...
    You need bananas. And blueberries. And almonds. And those fussy little reddish potatoes that are really good pan fried with some cilantro and garlic. You know, colorful food with diverse flavors and textures and nutrients.
    Did you know carrots make your eyes work better? Get some of those and eat them with hotsauce. It doesn't need to make sense. It just needs to make its way into your gut.
  • hilts1969
    Options
    If you have worn a size 00, eat 400 calories comfortably for long periods of time, and have no idea what you weigh
    I'm not an expert, but it looks like you have some disordered eating. NOT AN EATING DISORDER but something has gone amiss. Build muscles. Have real food for breakfast with a CARB and some sort of PROTEIN. If you smoke stop it. If you drink liters of caffeinated beverages at a time knock it off. Fry your egg in vegetable oil or something. You need to spur your appetite with delicious food. Add colors. Bell peppers are so colorful and fantastic- stuff them with meat and spices and bake them at 350 degrees and kill them with your facehole. Because you need to fuel your body and make it go do things. Like aerobics. And sleeping. And standing in line. I've eaten 900 calories a day before because life gets messy and I can't even do the sedentary things I need to do on that, let alone if I ate 400 calories and called it a day.
    I see your food diary. All your food is the same color- hardboiled egg, pierogie, pineapple...
    You need bananas. And blueberries. And almonds. And those fussy little reddish potatoes that are really good pan fried with some cilantro and garlic. You know, colorful food with diverse flavors and textures and nutrients.
    Did you know carrots make your eyes work better? Get some of those and eat them with hotsauce. It doesn't need to make sense. It just needs to make its way into your gut.

utter utter nonsense from beginning to end
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options

utter utter nonsense from beginning to end
    *clutches heart* My feelings!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have lived with a tight grocery budget...

Eggs
    Potatoes
    Cabbage
    Pasta
    Rice
    Dried Beans

There are inexpensive options that will fill you up and give you the calories that you need.