TDEE Help

Options
I just figured out my TDEE based on this calculator: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

1. How accurate is this method? (Assuming I can't wear my HRM for a full 24-hour period because the strips would dry and stop picking up my HR while sleeping.)

2. If it says my TDEE is roughly 2200 calories and I deduct 25% for weight loss that leaves me with 1600.. is the 1600 an end-all number each day, no matter what? Like don't add anything extra for working out, etc. This seems high to me as I usually eat 1200 plus whatever I burn from working out.. at this point I'm not working out hard so usually eat 1400 a day.

TIA!

Replies

• perrymick
    perrymick Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just figured out my TDEE based on this calculator: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

1. How accurate is this method? (Assuming I can't wear my HRM for a full 24-hour period because the strips would dry and stop picking up my HR while sleeping.)

2. If it says my TDEE is roughly 2200 calories and I deduct 25% for weight loss that leaves me with 1600.. is the 1600 an end-all number each day, no matter what? Like don't add anything extra for working out, etc. This seems high to me as I usually eat 1200 plus whatever I burn from working out.. at this point I'm not working out hard so usually eat 1400 a day.

TIA!

Hi with the TDEE method you don't eat back any of your calories from exercise as thats already taken into account in working out the TDEE figure. The TDEE-25% figure you have is your goal calories per day.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Tdee takes all your average weekly activity into account. Im using that method and I don't eat anything back unless it's over and beyond what i've already taken into account.
  • mrsroseblack
    mrsroseblack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I guess 1200-1400 is NOT enough after all. I should be aiming for 1600-1700. I'm afraid to eat that much; I feel it's more than I deserve but I need to give it a go. I'd hate to stall (I just restarted after a hiatus) because I'm not eating enough then derail cause I'm always hungry.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're correct, you wouldn't eat back any exercise calories. However, TDEE - 25% is a bit dramatic. It can be good for a couple weeks as a jump start but -15-20% is much more sustainable long term. I do -10% as I am only trying to lose a couple of pounds.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options

TDEE - 25% is far too aggressive. It's neither necessary, sustainable, or productive to set your goal so low. You only have 26 pounds to go, according to your ticker. Your goal should be set at 1 pound per week, or TDEE - 10%.

If using your sedentary TDEE, which is likely more accurate unless you have an intense and consistent exercise regimen, you would eat back your exercise calories. However, MFP notoriously overestimates burns, as do many apps, so as I rule, I usually eat back no more than half. More, if I'm hungry.

You should gradually reduce your deficit as you near your goal so that you grow accustomed to eating close to your maintenance calories (what you would eat to maintain your current weight) at your goal weight, your TDEE, and make that a smooth transition. You don't need to eat at a large deficit. Your progress may be slow, but you'll have more success if you are consistent.

ETA: Do not eat less than your BMR, as this is the number of calories needed just for your body's normal functions (breathing, digestion, etc), what you would still burn if you were lying in bed all day. You need to properly fuel your body. You may have been set with a goal of 1200 on MFP initially, but don't consider that anything higher than that is "too much." TDEE is a fairly accurate representation of what your body really burns.
  • mrsroseblack
    Options
    Ok. I upped my calories to 1600... and I've actually GAINED .4 in a week. So I think it's just too much. There's no way I can keep my spirits up if I'm gaining.
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    I eat 1600 and lose each week!!! I wear a fitness tracker but I hit my 1000 calorie deficit every day. Eat more to lose more! It's hard to find the right number but you'll figure it out. A .4 gain is arbitrary at this point, there are so many factors that play into that. Give it another week or so.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    Ok. I upped my calories to 1600... and I've actually GAINED .4 in a week. So I think it's just too much. There's no way I can keep my spirits up if I'm gaining.

Since daily fluctuations in weight can be as much as 4-5 pounds, .4 is not statistically significant. Also, raising calories after being very low will result in a temporary weight gain that is not fat but retained water. Any change in the number of calories you eat should be evaluated only after about 3-5 weeks, not just one. Keep at it.
  • mrsroseblack
    Options
    Thanks for the comments! I know my macros are off.. I have only lowered calories and portions, not worked on the macros. It's daunting and being a vegetarian makes it even harder. I left my bag of Shakeology 7 hours away in storage and I'm really regretting that decision.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    With what you have to lose, TDEE-20% is plenty. And as long as you weigh your food properly, there is no way you gained fat... it's water weight. It will go away.
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    I suggest building a list/library of macro friendly vegan snacks and meals to help you plan your days. Just interchange as needed, add and remove as time goes on. "Fail to plan, plan to fail" is my motto with IIFYM
  • mrsroseblack
    Options
    I suggest building a list/library of macro friendly vegan snacks and meals to help you plan your days. Just interchange as needed, add and remove as time goes on. "Fail to plan, plan to fail" is my motto with IIFYM

That's a good idea. (I'm not vegan, just vegetarian.) We are in the process of buying an investment property, our first, so we have been living as cheap as possible, while saving lots of cash. I've been grocery shopping on a budget too. Looks like I need to sit down and write that list and see what I can fit in and what I can live without that I eat currently (i.e. high in carbs.. : /).