Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I feel like I'm doing everything right to lose the last few pounds to be at my goal weight. I was around 130lbs (my height is 5'2) about 1 - 1.5 years ago and decided I wanted to get back down to 110. I had been losing pounds casually by cutting calories. About 2 weeks ago, I decided I really wanted to work off the last 3-4 lbs for my goal weight because of a trip I'm taking.

MFP gave me a goal of 1200 calories which I hit most of the time, I eat back most of my exercise calories, and increased my water intake significantly. I do 30-45 minutes of either jogging or biking, and 30ish minutes of random strength training at home, 4-5 times a week. I lost a pound right away, but since then, I've gained 3.

Should I keep going on this path? I've taken my measurements as well.. how soon should I expect change on tape?

Replies

• mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    how are you calculating your exercise calories? Are you weighing and measuring everything you consume?
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Have you just started exercising? If so, the gain is probably just your muscles holding onto water and stuff for repairs. It can show as a gain on the scale but its not really a gain. Keep up the great work.
  • mreineccius
    mreineccius Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, therefore, if you were not exercising previously and just started, you're likely not seeing the results of weight loss on the scale due to gaining muscle. However, over time, if you continue to monitor your caloric intake and maintain a caloric deficit each day you will lose pounds. Or, if you choose not to have a caloric deficit daily you will most likely notice your body slimming in some areas and toning as well.

Remember that the scale is not always the most efficient measure of health or ideal body size/shape. Since muscle weighs more than fat, you could very well be physically the same size as you were when you previously weighed 130 pounds.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm doing everything right to lose the last few pounds to be at my goal weight. I was around 130lbs (my height is 5'2) about 1 - 1.5 years ago and decided I wanted to get back down to 110. I had been losing pounds casually by cutting calories. About 2 weeks ago, I decided I really wanted to work off the last 3-4 lbs for my goal weight because of a trip I'm taking.

MFP gave me a goal of 1200 calories which I hit most of the time, I eat back most of my exercise calories, and increased my water intake significantly. I do 30-45 minutes of either jogging or biking, and 30ish minutes of random strength training at home, 4-5 times a week. I lost a pound right away, but since then, I've gained 3.

Should I keep going on this path? I've taken my measurements as well.. how soon should I expect change on tape?

Given your height, 104-131 would be a healthy weight range, any reason for 110 in particular?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With so little weight to lose, set your goal no higher than .5 lb. per week. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

The closer you are to goal, the harder it is to lose.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    great advice here... also have you readjusted your calorie level in MFP now you have lost some. guess you have but I though i would mention it
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, therefore, if you were not exercising previously and just started, you're likely not seeing the results of weight loss on the scale due to gaining muscle. However, over time, if you continue to monitor your caloric intake and maintain a caloric deficit each day you will lose pounds. Or, if you choose not to have a caloric deficit daily you will most likely notice your body slimming in some areas and toning as well.

Remember that the scale is not always the most efficient measure of health or ideal body size/shape. Since muscle weighs more than fat, you could very well be physically the same size as you were when you previously weighed 130 pounds.

There is no way this person has gained 3 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks eating at a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Op, do you use a food scale? And how are you calculating exercise calories? And it appears you just signed up so I believe the number one issue is patients.
  • psuLemon
    Options

There is no way this person has gained 3 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks eating at a deficit.

This, especially since women eating a surplus can barely gain 1/2 lb of new mass per week. And considering the op stated she is doing random strength training instead of a designed program with progress load lifts, there is zero chance of gaining new muscle.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options

OMG. U r me!! I am 5'2" mad weighed 125. Lost down to 100 lbs as I am very small. Kept it off for a year and then gained back 12. I have been really working on this with not much success. Everyone says eat more etc but that is why I gained back 12 lbs. I am frustrated. Only thing is I feel better and am not as bloated but I am frustrated.

I know I will only lose .5 lbs per week but it is still depressing
  • brillanta
    brillanta Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So I had the same probelm. I bought a heart rate monitor which gives me the calories I burn in exercise. Unfortunatly it is 1/3 to 1/2 less than I was pciking here in MFP. AND i was eating my excersice calories. So now I am entering less calories for exercise and am eating very few of my exercise calories and the scale is finally moving. I do have to deal with hunger--key is LOTS of vegetables. Also no wine, no sugars, 2 carbs per day, 2 fruits, 2 milks/yogurts per day, a few nuts, 2 meats/beans per day. Oh yes, and no eating after 8 pm. Oh yes, I cut out coffee as it seems to make me hungrier, switched to tea.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So I had the same probelm. I bought a heart rate monitor which gives me the calories I burn in exercise. Unfortunatly it is 1/3 to 1/2 less than I was pciking here in MFP. AND i was eating my excersice calories. So now I am entering less calories for exercise and am eating very few of my exercise calories and the scale is finally moving. I do have to deal with hunger--key is LOTS of vegetables. Also no wine, no sugars, 2 carbs per day, 2 fruits, 2 milks/yogurts per day, a few nuts, 2 meats/beans per day. Oh yes, and no eating after 8 pm. Oh yes, I cut out coffee as it seems to make me hungrier, switched to tea.

For most people, short of those with medical conditions, there is no reason to cut sugar, not eat food after 8 or stop all wine. To lose weight, it requires a deficit. Thats it. Macros such as protein and fats are for satiety, protein and resistance training is for muscle retention and carbs are energy. The timing and frequency is irrelevant to weight loss. If it works for you great but its unnecessary.
  • brillanta
    brillanta Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A BIG part of weight loss is dealing with triggers to keep that deficit going. If you can't deal with the triggers, you can't get the deficit.
  • psuLemon
    Options

OMG. U r me!! I am 5'2" mad weighed 125. Lost down to 100 lbs as I am very small. Kept it off for a year and then gained back 12. I have been really working on this with not much success. Everyone says eat more etc but that is why I gained back 12 lbs. I am frustrated. Only thing is I feel better and am not as bloated but I am frustrated.

I know I will only lose .5 lbs per week but it is still depressing

Is possible that you gained because your metabolism slowed down if you used an aggressive weight loss technique. At 100 lbs you are under weight, which generally means you lack adequate body composition. Essentially, low lean body mass means low metabolic rate. So if you started to eat normal, it would be obvious that you gained. This is why slow weight loss and weight training is critical to long term success. When you maintain your lbm, you maintain your metabolism.

In fact, regardless of how much I weigh, I maintain at 3000 calories. So while my metabolic rate might have decreased, my workout burns increased.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    A BIG part of weight loss is dealing with triggers to keep that deficit going. If you can't deal with the triggers, you can't get the deficit.

100% agree. Diet adherence is the main driver for success.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The things that helped me lose my last 10 lbs were logging accuracy (with food scale), a small deficit, and patience.

Instead of "random" lifting, get yourself a good program to follow. Starting Strength is excellent. Stronglifts is good too (they're basically the same program but you get more instruction with Starting Strength).
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs more than fat is a myth ... a pound is a pound is a pound, whether its a pound of lead or a pound of feathers. But I do agree that maybe you're holding onto water weight. Are you drinking enough water? Maybe you need to flush out your system.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs more than fat is a myth ... a pound is a pound is a pound, whether its a pound of lead or a pound of feathers. But I do agree that maybe you're holding onto water weight. Are you drinking enough water? Maybe you need to flush out your system.

I don't understand this logic. To me it's like saying I weigh the same as my dog because a pound of me weighs the same as a pound of him. Or bricks weigh the same as feathers because a pound of bricks weighs the same as a pound of feathers.

But that said, the OP did not gain 3 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks while eating at a deficit.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

This is very true a pound is a pound, how it should be stated and I believe what most people mean when they say this is "muscle is denser then fat", so a smaller mass of muscle will equal a larger mass of fat in weight because fat takes up more space. I agree with Solar07 you may be retaining a lot of water and need to flush out you system.