Sometimes so hungry I'm nauseous..?

Options

Replies

• LucyJordan
    LucyJordan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a boiled egg, 2 slices of Nimble bread with olive oil spread on both and honey one and I find this keeps me full until lunch time. I have naturally low blood sugar and since I have had the honey I have not craved chocolate or felt sick during exercise.
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat plain yogurt with fruit (fresh or frozen) & sliced natural almonds. Unsweetened coconut flakes make it extra tasty, too.
    I don't drink black coffee. I add unsweetened original almond milk which has a huge calcium bonus. It took me a number of months to wean myself off sweetened coffee by decreasing the sweetener little by little. Now if I have it with sweetener, it's just gross to me.
    I have three children and they won't eat plain yogurt but love the flavored yogurt, so I tell them to only eat one a day as a treat because the sugar content sometimes rivals ice cream. I don't buy light for them because I don't want them eating artificial sweeteners because there's just not enough conclusive research out there to indicate AS are safe for kids.

That yogurt sounds amazing. I'm doing groceries today, I think I'll try switching to DIY yogurt this week and see if it helps. I had also not considered almond milk... My issue there is that I don't do coffee pre-exercise. I go to the gym then stop for coffee on my way to work and haven't found a place with anything non-dairy/unsweetened. I do regular half n half at home but im a sucker for that York peppermint creamer at the gas station. Starbucks isn't open when I'm headed to work at 5:30am.n Perhaps just cutting out the pre-made yogurt sugar will help enough though. Thanks!
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Depending on your activity level the Institute of Medicine recommends 0.8 grams of protein per 1 kg (or 1.7 lbs) of LEAN body mass (not entire body mass). You are trying to generate lean muscle when consuming protein.

The math looks like this:
    If you have 150 lbs of lean body mass (weight yourself on a scale that gives you your body fat % - Golds Gym has one that I use frequently and they give you a printout) then that converts to 68 kg.

68 kg x 0.8 g of protein = 54 g of protein DAILY
    68 kg x 1.0 g = 68g
    68 kg x 1.2 g = 81g

Some experts say to increase that percentage to 1.0 or even 1.2 if you are very active or older suffering from sarcopenia.

Educate yourself on protein. Every cell in your body is made up of proteins - EVERY SINGLE CELL.

To increase your protein is the key to losing fat and building lean muscle. People think - oh I'll just eat more meat - chicken, steak, hamburger, etc. But the protein needs to contain the essential amino acids necessary which is why so many people turn to supplements like protein powder. There are a ton of supplements out there! Don't buy off the grocery store shelf because you have no idea how long those have been there. Look for clean, natural, organic protein that have high fiber content, the right composition of carbohydrates and fats that taste delicious. Make sure they have no articifcial sweeteners. don't need that in your body. Protein should be undenatured whey protein or if you are vegan from pea or hemp - NOT SOY. Read about soy - high GMO and produces phytoestrogens in the body. Not good.

Google search Michael Colgan and protein on youtube and listen to his advice about proteins. He is a brilliant nutritionist and scientist.
  • curvyin2014
    Options
    I developed bad habits about 10 years ago meaning I haven't really eaten breakfast since leaving school. I have lost 50lbs with MFP but still have breakfast issues. I find that when I do eat breakfast (usually a little later in the morning mainly at the weekend) I am then starving all day! Looking for ideas for filling breakfasts that don't make me feel like eating continuously!

I know exactly what your talking about! I find myself starving by midmorning if I eat breakfast but I could last til lunch fine if I don't Why is that?
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, when I don't eat enough, or often enough. Normally, if there's something in my tummy, I don't get this feeling. So you might want to look into eating more (Like, if I tried to lose 2 lbs per week, I'd get this feeling) Or try to space out your eating so that you're eating more often.
  • MyIrishSpirit
    Options
    Depending on your activity level the Institute of Medicine recommends 0.8 grams of protein per 1 kg (or 1.7 lbs) of LEAN body mass (not entire body mass). You are trying to generate lean muscle when consuming protein.

The math looks like this:
    If you have 150 lbs of lean body mass (weight yourself on a scale that gives you your body fat % - Golds Gym has one that I use frequently and they give you a printout) then that converts to 68 kg.

68 kg x 0.8 g of protein = 54 g of protein DAILY
    68 kg x 1.0 g = 68g
    68 kg x 1.2 g = 81g

Some experts say to increase that percentage to 1.0 or even 1.2 if you are very active or older suffering from sarcopenia.

Educate yourself on protein. Every cell in your body is made up of proteins - EVERY SINGLE CELL.

To increase your protein is the key to losing fat and building lean muscle. People think - oh I'll just eat more meat - chicken, steak, hamburger, etc. But the protein needs to contain the essential amino acids necessary which is why so many people turn to supplements like protein powder. There are a ton of supplements out there! Don't buy off the grocery store shelf because you have no idea how long those have been there. Look for clean, natural, organic protein that have high fiber content, the right composition of carbohydrates and fats that taste delicious. Make sure they have no articifcial sweeteners. don't need that in your body. Protein should be undenatured whey protein or if you are vegan from pea or hemp - NOT SOY. Read about soy - high GMO and produces phytoestrogens in the body. Not good.

Google search Michael Colgan and protein on youtube and listen to his advice about proteins. He is a brilliant nutritionist and scientist.

Thank you for this! I was very interested in what a protein shake/drink/something could do for me, or if I should even do it. Sometimes before I exercise in the morning I'm hungry but don't want to eat necessarily and I considered that some kind of protein drink pre-exercise would be beneficial. Now I have a starting point for some research on it. I've never done the protein shake thing before, I always thought only bodybuilders drank them. As I learn more I'm realizing it might be really helpful to my overall success.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Very true!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed it, but is it possible that you are sensitive to dairy products. I can have this problem with dairy products and I am more sensitive to it in the morning when my stomach is empty. Perhaps having a different protein in the morning and then later in the day try your yogurt to see if it is a problem.
  • MyIrishSpirit
    Options
    Maybe I missed it, but is it possible that you are sensitive to dairy products. I can have this problem with dairy products and I am more sensitive to it in the morning when my stomach is empty. Perhaps having a different protein in the morning and then later in the day try your yogurt to see if it is a problem.

I've never had a problem with dairy. I don't drink milk because I don't like it but I love yogurt and all things cheese.

Yogurt isn't my every day breakfast, sometimes I do eggs. I pick yogurt because it's portable and I spend a lot of time travelling. I'm hardboiling some eggs today though, figured two of those on the go will also be a good breakfast when I get to work.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I think your high sugar content of your breakfast is most likely the culprit. Most of your calories came from the creamer in your coffee. I use the SF versions of CoffeeMate in my coffee and it cuts the sugar out, and the cals WAY down.
    You definitely could use some more protein to balance it out. If you try protein shakes, check the sugar content before you buy them. Some of them have tons of sugar. The EAS Advantedge premixed ones are very low carb and taste good.

My husband eats Clif Bars before bike races, and I never realized how high in carbs they are. They are Energy Bars, intended to be used for high intensity workouts. I wouldn't be having them for meals when you are trying to lose weight. If you need quick snacks/meal bars, then look into Balanced nutrition bars that have more protein and fats and less simple carbs. I personally like some of the Atkins bars, that are super low carb, due to sugar issues.

I didn't read anywhere that you have had your sugar levels checked. If you haven't been tested for insulin resistance recently, I would certainly do that very soon. The symptoms you describe sound like they definitely could be sugar related.

If you carry most of your weight in your midsection, and/or have any hormonal issues, those are other signs of insulin resistance.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    this use to happen to me too except i wudnt get nauseous i would get so dizzy i felt like i was going to faint. What i did to kind of fix the issue was adding more to my breakfast. I started to add fresh and dried fruits to my yogurt and scheduled snacks in between meals. And i switched up my breakfast for each morning and tried to have some form of animal protein in the mix.

This worked for me I hope it helps.
  • xmoony90
    xmoony90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me that it might be low blood pressure? I know i naturally have low blood pressure and if i don't drink enough water or get enough sodium even after a short time i feel quite dizzy, lightheaded and nauseous.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, greek yogurt is a snack. If I have it at breakfast I would add some granola, fruit and nuts. Or oats and fruit. Or a couple of eggs.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My Dr. said when eating any kind of yogurt to have a string cheese (or some kind of serving cheese) with it. Another idea would be to change your breakfast, maybe have a protein shake instead that will stick with you for a bit.

You probably need to check your sugar, you can get a meter and test strips for under $20 (strips will run about $10 every 50) I am a diabetic and that is how I feel when my sugar goes off norm rapidly.
  • stefanieraya
    Options
    MyIrishSpirit - Education - Get Jillian Michael's book Master Your Metabolism.
    I wouldn't advise consuming protein before your workout. Wait until after. The reason is because if you are strength training (which you should be) you are breaking down muscles. Protein rebuilds them. Pre-workout you want to choose something with a small amount of caffeine and a B vitamin complex to supply you with the energy you need to perform your best!
    Again you may hear different stories about caffeine but seek the advice of experts - again I refer to Michael Colgan who has trained Olympic athletes and written dozens of books on the subject of training, nutrition and fitness.
    Hugs!
  • stefanieraya
    Options
    Cheese is not considered a optimum source of protein. People can argue this point but there are better sources.
    Cheese is mainly for taste and not nutrition. And that sucks because I LOVE CHEESE!!!!
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would swap out the current flavoured non-fat greek yoghurt for full fat plain and mix in a wee bit of protein powder even.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I eat plain yogurt with fruit (fresh or frozen) & sliced natural almonds. Unsweetened coconut flakes make it extra tasty, too.
    I don't drink black coffee. I add unsweetened original almond milk which has a huge calcium bonus. It took me a number of months to wean myself off sweetened coffee by decreasing the sweetener little by little. Now if I have it with sweetener, it's just gross to me.
    I have three children and they won't eat plain yogurt but love the flavored yogurt, so I tell them to only eat one a day as a treat because the sugar content sometimes rivals ice cream. I don't buy light for them because I don't want them eating artificial sweeteners because there's just not enough conclusive research out there to indicate AS are safe for kids.

That yogurt sounds amazing. I'm doing groceries today, I think I'll try switching to DIY yogurt this week and see if it helps. I had also not considered almond milk... My issue there is that I don't do coffee pre-exercise. I go to the gym then stop for coffee on my way to work and haven't found a place with anything non-dairy/unsweetened. I do regular half n half at home but im a sucker for that York peppermint creamer at the gas station. Starbucks isn't open when I'm headed to work at 5:30am.n Perhaps just cutting out the pre-made yogurt sugar will help enough though. Thanks!

You're welcome!
    I eat a clementine & drink a small cup of coffee before then gym, and then I go home & eat my real breakfast with more coffee.
    Ground flax seed is another nice add-in for protein, omegas, and fiber.
    I've read several articles touted the benefits of chia seeds, so I want to try those.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Not sure what exactly causes it, but I know I went to far when I hit that point so I eat right away.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, it's all tied up with blood sugar levels. If you eat something very sugary or carb loaded like yogurt tends to be you can get sugar crashes. Mine also occurs if I haven't eaten for a while and my levels are too low. When that happens I get 4 stages. 1. Shakey. I can't hold on to anything or pick things up or write. 2. Cranky, like bite the head off of someone if they don't feed me HANGRY. 3. Faint feeling like I'm going to pass out. 4. Vomiting. I will actually be sick if I don't eat. All of these stages happen quickly, in the course of 10-20 minutes from the time they start. I don't have diabetes but am very sensitive to my blood sugar levels.