Can weight fluctuate up to 7 pounds?

Options
2»

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Ya scale jumps that much for me.. usually when I have frozen foods (fries, boneless chicken wings, etc)..
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If I eat out and get a really high sodium day I'm normally gonna hold up to 8 lbs of water weight for about 10 days.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    For every cup of "bad" fluids, (high in calories or high in caffeine like coffee) you have to drink 4 x's that to flush your system. If you drink coffee, after beer, it makes it way worse. Between that and salty foods, I have gained as much as 5 lb. in water and I only weigh at 130 lbs. when at a healthy weight. You could easily gain 7.
    I call BS. Did you just read that on the interwebz, or do you have a peer-reviewed publication to cite for that?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Oh thanks didn't know beer had so much sodium in it, MFP puts my 15 beers at 0 sodium, just been freaking out and different opinions don't hurt. :)
    It doesn't. Assuming you had 15 pints (16 oz.) as opposed to 20 oz. cans, that's about the same amount of sodium in one single pound of chicken breast.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    If you drink coffee, after beer, it makes it way worse. Between that and salty foods, I have gained as much as 5 lb. in water and I only weigh at 130 lbs. when at a healthy weight. You could easily gain 7.

Could be it, I been drinking litres of Pepsi Max after my beer session, hardly touched any water, I think tommorow I try a big pure water day then see what happens :|
    There's no harm in drinking plenty of plain water. Just don't drink too much, water intoxication is a real thing. I'm not going to look up an upper limit for you, but you can safely drink a gallon (about 4 liters) over the course of the day (don't drink it all at once!), and that'll be just fine.
  • wink212
    wink212 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There is almost NO sodium in beer.
  • TheSageMage
    Options
    Yes, water retention can cause you to fluctuate. By how much? Every body is different and will react differently.

I see a lot of people mentioning salt, but I've noticed that in my diet which is low in carbs and higher in fat and protein, with a high percent of sodium as well, that my first week was a loss of about 7lb which I attributed to water weight.

There can be a lot of causes of water retention, and if I were you I would get in the habit of doing your weighing at a specific time, the mornings are usually best as your body would have settled during sleep. I usually do this, take my morning piss then weigh myself and I consider it accurate.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you drink coffee, after beer, it makes it way worse. Between that and salty foods, I have gained as much as 5 lb. in water and I only weigh at 130 lbs. when at a healthy weight. You could easily gain 7.

Could be it, I been drinking litres of Pepsi Max after my beer session, hardly touched any water, I think tommorow I try a big pure water day then see what happens :|
    There's no harm in drinking plenty of plain water. Just don't drink too much, water intoxication is a real thing. I'm not going to look up an upper limit for you, but you can safely drink a gallon (about 4 liters) over the course of the day (don't drink it all at once!), and that'll be just fine.

It is almost impossible to drink too much water. Most people are not hydrated enough.

Diets do not work. You need to find something that works for you for the long term. Find a proven program that addresses all the body's hormones that is backed by scientific research. Don't listen to the commercials for Jenny Craig or whatever Marie Osmond is selling these days. I've tried those and to eat that food for an entire month is awful and you will quit!
    If you want a true lifestyle change, friend request me and I'll advise you on what I'm doing.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Mine does during my period.

I presume you're not menstruating, but the water retention issue is probably the same.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    It is almost impossible to drink too much water. Most people are not hydrated enough.

It's really not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication#Notable_cases

But there's a big difference between drinking 1.5 gallons of water in an hour and in a day. That's why I said I wasn't going to google an upper limit for him, because I didn't want him taking that risk.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Totally false on both counts. Hyponatremia is fatal, and happens, relatively rare, but it happens. Also, humans are better hydrated today than we have ever been at any point in human history. To say "most people are not hydrated enough" shows a complete lack of knowledge on the subject, and that you're just parroting the marketing campaigns from Gatorade and bottled water companies, who push that line to sell more product.