losing weight while pregnant

Options
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help. I'm 14 weeks pregnant, 5'9" and was told yesterday that I cannot get into a specific unit for having my baby as I'm just over the recommended bmi that they will allow to be in this unit. I'm 4lbs over the limit. To say I'm gutted is an understatement!!!! I've been up since 2.50am and I cried as I cant believe I've let myself get like this.

I have to be extremely careful of what I eat as I put on weight easily. I'm not going to starve myself but I have to do something and lose some weight before my baby is born. Has anyone been successful at this and done it healthily? I have back problems due to a car accident 13 years ago so I cannot power walk and I sometimes can only walk 1.5-2 miles due to the pain.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    There are classes for pregnant ladies that you can take. An aqua class would be great for you since it takes pressure off your back, or there's Pilates and yoga classes where the poses are modified for pregnant women.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's not recommended to diet while pregnant. Speak with your doctor.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000603.htm
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Diet no, but exercise Yes!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Please do not try to lose weight while pregnant, and just because you want to get into a particular unit to have your baby. In fact, no offense intended, but that whole notion is a bit ridiculous.

Please speak with your doctor.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    A specific unit? I'm lost. Like a birthing unit?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Exercise can create a calorie deficit, but it's stupid to try and lose weight while pregnant.

Lots of pregnant women exercise lo stay fit.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ask OB for help. You shouldn't be doing this without strict medical supervision. I know some ladies in my birth club were put on gestational diabetes diets to help their sugars and also to control how much weight they were putting on while pregnant, but those diets were figured out by their OB. You can also add in some light, low impact exercise, but if you were not active before pregnancy/up until now that is something else you need to get cleared by as well. HTH
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You are pregnant and now is not the time to be losing weight. Talk to your doctor.
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    JeanineLaymon1970 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk away the pounds is a GREAT program! The easy walk (1 mile, 17 minutes) and brisk walk (2 mile, 30 Minutes) sound like viable options for you. Record what you eat religously... Then review to see where you can cut calories, and choose healthier options. You can do this in a painless, safe manner! BTW i was in a serious car accident in 2000 (multiple pelvic fractures) and I am able to do this easily now.

Some ideas:

Breakfast:

Fat free Lite yogurt 6 oz. (around 80 calories)
    Fiber one cereal original 1/2 cup (60 calories)

Snacks:

Light Cheese Sticks (50 calories) (can also place in tortilla and heat up in microwave for a yummy treat)
    Laughing cow spreadable cheese (35-45 calories per wedge) with light crackers or a tortilla. Lots of yummy flavors!

Dinner:

Use ground turkey, and chicken instead of pork or red meat. We do not even notice the difference anymore.

Salmon: Cut into 3 oz portions, dash with lemon juice, sprinkle cajun spices, add a very thin pat of butter, and broil for 10 minutes. Better than any restaurant, PROMISED!

Also www.hungrygirl.com is a great resource!

Good luck!

Jeanine
    :flowerforyou:
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    JeanineLaymon1970 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Had to add something after seeing the other posts. If you gain too much weight while pregnant, it is unhealthy for the mom AND the baby (speaking from someone who gained 100 pounds during pregnancy). Dieting while pregnant when your BMI is too high is perfectly okay. Make sure you discuss your plan with the OB, to ensure everything is good for baby. But exercise and eating healthy ARE GOOD FOR PREGNANCY AND THE BABY!!!! I think people are freaking out because of the "D" word (lol diet).

J
  • Sasafrash
    Options
    I've read that for the first trimester you should only consume 100 extra calories, your second two hundred and your third three hundred. Therefore so long as you don't eat more than necessary you should gain weight at a healthy rate. If it's only 4 pounds it could easily fall off. Especially if you're swollen from being pregnant and retaining water. The best way to lose water weight is by consuming more water. You're body won't need to store water if you're providing it with enough water through out the day. Another article I read is about the amount you should be drinking. You should consume half your weight in ounces of water. Therefore im156 lbs I should consume 78 ounces of fluids a day. Obviously since in dieting it should be water. And choosing better options fresh vegetable and meat opposed to frozen and processes will lower sodium prevent retention.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while pregnant by just cutting out what made me gain the unhealthy weight in the first place, and drinking lots of water every day (all of the walking between my desk and the restroom probably helped too!). I did not diet however, and I had an OB and nurse handling my pregnancy. Talk to a medical professional and have them develop a plan with you.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and actually listen to what he/she says.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What is this unit and why do you want to be in it?
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Had to add something after seeing the other posts. If you gain too much weight while pregnant, it is unhealthy for the mom AND the baby (speaking from someone who gained 100 pounds during pregnancy). Dieting while pregnant when your BMI is too high is perfectly okay. Make sure you discuss your plan with the OB, to ensure everything is good for baby. But exercise and eating healthy ARE GOOD FOR PREGNANCY AND THE BABY!!!! I think people are freaking out because of the "D" word (lol diet).

J

^^this
    Studies actually show health benifits for both mother and baby for mom to lose some weight while pregnant if morbidly obese. I just went through this situation ( morbidly obese and pregnant). If you are very obese 4 pounds is not a large amount of weight. Best plan is to discuss it with your OB. Log what you are eating and eat healthy foods. Just adding some activity to your routine could knock out those 4 pounds and then it's just a matter of maintaining until delivery. I was doing well until I went on bedrest. Bummer. Hope you have a happy healthy pregnancy! If you don't make the cut for that unit you could always just let it go, change your perfect plan, and lower your stress level.

Ps or bribe the techs to fudge the numbers when they weight you ; )
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The guidelines for exercise are generally that if you did it BEFORE you got pregnant (regularly) you can keep doing it, but don't start anything new while pregnant -- especially if it's strenuous.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and actually listen to what he/she says.
    And this.

This is the ONLY advice the OP should take from this thread. THE ONLY ADVICE.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think eating healthy and exercising is a fabulous idea, but you need to make sure you're consuming enough calories for both you and the life you're trying to grow. Losing weight while pregnant is generally not recommended and you should be consulting a doctor not the MFP community.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

When I was pregnant back in 2011, I was 243, and then went down to 225 then 220 by the time I was 5 months preggo. I was walking everywhere (had to with classes and job) and while the doctors were a little bit concerned about me losing, they weren't too worried because I was fat enough to began with. Had a healthy kiddo (by the time all was said and done, I was 205) and he will be 2 years old in a couple of days.

I do recommend light exercise (someone mentioned aqua classes, even walking) but no strenuous activity, and talk to your doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

J
    With all due respect, advising someone who is pregnant to lose weight at all, whether they have a high BMI or not, is bad advice.

Her doctor needs to advise her.

That said, a friend told me about when she was pregnant and lost weight due to nothing she did. She was under her doctor's very watchful eye and told she'd have to go the hospital if she lost anymore weight. She was miserable.
    I think eating healthy and exercising is a fabulous idea, but you need to make sure you're consuming enough calories for both you and the life you're trying to grow. Losing weight while pregnant is generally not recommended and you should be consulting a doctor not the MFP community.
    Yep.