Do you get sick easier now that you've lost weight?

Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Exactly the opposite. I haven't been sick since I lost the weight over 3 years ago. Not even a headcold.
  • jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Since I've lost weight and now exercise 6 days/week, I have not been sick in the last year even once. This is coming from someone who used to get two sinus infections a year!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    I get cold easier, but not sick. I've never been sick much. But I'm so much healthier since I discovered that I wasn't eating enough. I went from 1200 cal/day to 1800 cal/day about a year ago. I've never felt better. Maybe you're not eating enough?
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    I don't get sicker easier and been feeling better since I've started to lose weight but I have to admit I get cold a lot faster then I used to!

I am always cold now.......that my flab is gone I no longer endure winter conditions with an almost ursine insouciance..
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I do not, it's pretty much the same. I did get cold easier at first like the others, but that doesn't seem to be as much of a problem now that I've maintained a while.
    Please tell me I'm not the only one. Since I've lost weight I get sicker easier and seem to have more health problems such as knee pops all the time and gets stiff, I take vitamins because my doctor said I'm not getting the proper nutrients and it's not uncommon for me to catch the common cold quite easily.

This is probably why you are getting sick all the time.
    Yes_this_point_up.gif
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    I hadn't really thought about it, but I used to get really sick at least twice a year. I'd be miserable for two to four weeks. Now I can't remember that last time I was sick. And I eat the same crap as I always have, just less of it.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Nope. I get colder and I have a bonier *kitten*, which makes sitting uncomfortable for long periods.

But as for illnesses, nope. I'm definitely fighting winter flu and other coughs and colds much better this year.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    I am getting over a cold now, but it hasn't been any worse or more frequent than before I lost weight. But I've only lost 12 since Christmas and 9 since I started on here And I don't have much more to go. Maybe another 10 more lbs. If I get too low, then I might get sick more often.

I am, however, a lot colder than before. It seems I can't tolerate the cold temps as much. I am always freezing.

And make sure you are eating enough, if you are worried about getting sick! I think you can maintain on a higher amount of calories, like 1800 or 1900. Don't feel afraid of jumping out of your comfort zone.. You will feel less hungry at night. You just have to trust your body. It's hard; I've been there. But 1800 calories ins't anything like eating 3000 calories.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you feel better!
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    I'm definitely healthier now. I put on the weight in my early 20's. I never got sick as a kid. I was one of those kids that got 3 perfect attendance awards. In my 30's I'd miss a whole bunch of wok because I'd get cold after cold in the winter, and they'd get so bad I'd just not be able to work.

Knock on wood, it's been 2 years since I've been so bad that I wouldn't go to work. I'll get the sniffles, but not get miserable.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Just a question, how many calories are you eating daily on average?
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    I do! I eat a much healthier, more balanced diet than I ever did before, yet I get sick so much more often. I doubt it's related to my weight loss since I've only lost 16.5 lb (and not quickly, as this was over a span of 2 years), so I'm going to see an allergist/immunologist about other potential factors. However, it's clear in your case that your diet isn't allowing you to get the proper nutrients.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    You're under-eating and over-training. This results in a low immunity.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    I find that I am healthier overall, actually.
    But, I AM cold more often... and also a cheap date (didn't see that one coming!).
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Are you underweight?
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    It seems like you're not eating enough then. However, it could be something like anaemia, which you could check for if you're certain you're doing everything right. That can cause what you're describing, especially if it's iron deficiency anaemia. That runs in my family, regardless of diet, a lot of us have to take supplements.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    No. I eat much better and exercise much more overall which means my health is pretty much going to be better overall. Now getting injured, that's a different story...
  • check to see if you are anemic
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    nope.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Please tell me I'm not the only one. Since I've lost weight I get sicker easier...

Exact opposite here. I can't seem to get sick at all, even when people around me are dropping like flies.

That said, my weight loss has been accompanied by a massive improvement in cardio fitness, so can't really separate the factors at play.

This is exactly the same for me... Everyone else has been sick 2 or 3 times over the past year - passing it around the family.

I've been fine. Not even a sniffle.

Pretty happy with this situation. :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    I get cold easier, but I'm still almost never sick.