Is gluten free cous cous a 'clean' food?

Options
Ordered quinoa from asda today and they substituted if for gluten free cous cous, carbs look pretty high and it has some fibre and potien just wondering as I accepted it, or do I bin it as I wanna eat clean only foods?

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Can you tell explain the definition of clean food?
  • girlygirlnicole
    girlygirlnicole Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    foods that are natural from the ground.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What's "unclean" about carbs?
  • girlygirlnicole
    Options
    Or just in general healthy for you, doesn't cause any bloating or have any badness in there.
  • girlygirlnicole
    Options
    None if healthy but it has 70g of carbs per serving seems a lot. I'd say 50 a meal is ok, just 70 seems a little on the high side .
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Unless you have Celiac disease or gluten intolerance, there's no reason to limit how many carbs you're eating. It won't make you lose weight any faster to cut out or down on carbs.

Just maintain a calorie deficit, either through diet and/or exercise, and you'll lose weight.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you but cous cous is pasta. Nothing clean about pasta. Nothing dirty about it either. Eat what you want, and you'll lose as long as you're within your calorie goals.
  • girlygirlnicole
    Options
    Hate to break it to you but cous cous is pasta. Nothing clean about pasta.

Oh really? I didn't know. Thank you. Straight for the bin then.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Why throw away perfectly good food that fuels your body? Because you want to eat "clean"? I'm sorry but even fruits and vegetables go through some sort of processing before they get to your table. Just eat what you want. Seriously. Smh.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Unless you have Celiac disease or gluten intolerance, there's no reason to limit how many carbs you're eating. It won't make you lose weight any faster to cut out or down on carbs.

Just maintain a calorie deficit, either through diet and/or exercise, and you'll lose weight.

I eat both quinoa and cous cous on a regular basis and wouldn't say cous cous in unhealthy but it is not the same and not really a substitute for quinoa as they are different foods entirely. I prefer quinoa as it has more protein but I like both so I eat both. If you are trying to limit your carbs then you could just adjust other meals to keeps your carbs in check overall and still eat cous cous for one of your meals.

It is a fair point that a deficit is a deficit but at the same time, I don't agree that limiting carbs doesn't help with weight loss as for me personally, if i up my protein and fat and reduce my carbs, over the course of a couple of weeks I will see much faster results than if I ate the same calories but with higher carbs and less protein and fat.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

:noway:

Really hope OP is messing with us.
  • girlygirlnicole
    Options
    I'm not... I don't know much about it. I've never had it before lol
  • HappyStack
    Options

I eat both quinoa and cous cous on a regular basis and wouldn't say cous cous in unhealthy but it is not the same and not really a substitute for quinoa as they are different foods entirely. I prefer quinoa as it has more protein but I like both so I eat both. If you are trying to limit your carbs then you could just adjust other meals to keeps your carbs in check overall and still eat cous cous for one of your meals.

It is a fair point that a deficit is a deficit but at the same time, I don't agree that limiting carbs doesn't help with weight loss as for me personally, if i up my protein and fat and reduce my carbs, over the course of a couple of weeks I will see much faster results than if I ate the same calories but with higher carbs and less protein and fat.

That's because carbs = water retention and higher glycogen storage. Any extraneous weight loss or gain you experience from cutting them out/down or eating them again is artificial.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Gluten free cous cous sounds disgusting. And that's coming from someone with wheat allergies. Some things just shouldn't be de-wheated and couscous is one.

Op if you want that type consistency food then stick with quinoa, polenta and grits...all of which are naturally wheat free
  • girlygirlnicole
    Options
    All I asked was cous cous healthy and clean, I've never tried it, never eating it, and am curious what it is. And everyone's replying telling me not to cut carbs and telling me how to loose weight when they know nothing about me or my goals.

I know how to loose weight, I know a carb free diet isn't healthy. Don't tell me what I know...
    I'm eating clean to be lean but my eating clean is having a certain amount of carbs a day too but healthy carbs.
  • girlygirlnicole
    Options
    Gluten free cous cous sounds disgusting. And that's coming from someone with wheat allergies. Some things just shouldn't be de-wheated and couscous is one.

Op if you want that type consistency food then stick with quinoa, polenta and grits...all of which are naturally wheat free

Thank you. I haven't tried it but don't think I want to now lol.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    lol

33xtp1u.gif
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

How wasteful just because it's not 'clean'