female weight lifting question

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to spend money on a gym membership or a barbell and bench, just get You Are Your Own Gym and do bodyweight exercises at home. The important thing is that you need progressive overload. That is to say, your exercises should get progressively more difficult on some kind of schedule.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't mean I'm not willing to put in the work because I am. I'm just saying I'd rather get it done at home just like I get my other workouts done at home. My parents belong to a gym so hypothetically I could join but I was asking if lifting on my own might work too.

you will have better results with a barbell training program that focus's around compound lifts, and progressively lifting more and increasing weight (my opinion) I would think it will be easier to accomplish this in a gym then a home gyms…unless you have a barbell, power rack, etc at home?

I'll just chime in with my own experience on this...I started weight training as a complete newb, working out only at home, with dumbbells ranging from 3 to 45 lbs. If you've got a good range of weights that go pretty heavy, you can see some pretty good progress while working out at home (OP, check my before/afters in my profile pics), at least at first (I've now moved on to a gym and a bar). You can do DB-appropriate modifications of most of the big bar lifts. It's not necessarily a bad way to start off :)

Also, in the great scheme of things, it's more important to dial in your intake if fat loss is your goal. Lifting will help retain muscle as you drop fat.

This could be a great option too, OP, although eventually you'll need heavier dumbbells.
  • apeck422
    Options
    Okay well for now I'm gonna use dumbbells but I need to figure out exactly what exercises to do
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Okay well for now I'm gonna use dumbbells but I need to figure out exactly what exercises to do

Find a lifting program that has you gradually increase the weight you use over time. Something that keeps the number of reps per set low (under 12) and the weight challenging (so it's hard to finish the last couple of reps). You can use any of the barbell programs and just do modified versions of the lifts for DBs. I've been using All Pro's program. It's simple, doesn't take too long to finish, and focuses on compound (multiple muscle group) lifts. Here's a link: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

You really will need heavier weights in a short period of time. Just because you're a girl doesn't mean you're not strong. Your backpack probably weighs more than 10 lbs. Your purse weighs more than 3. Give yourself some credit for your physical capabilities! See if your parents will spring for some 15s and 20s (check Craiglist for used equipment!)

Also, just be aware are fat doesn't "turn into muscle". What you'll be doing is losing fat (by reducing your intake of food and adding exercise you burn more calories than you eat, which reduces fat), and lifting weights help you KEEP the muscle you have. If you just burn calories and don't work your muscles in the meantime, your body will burn fat AND muscle, which you don't want
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    T25 and Jillian aren't strength training, both are basically cardio.

If you want to get into weight lifting, do you have access to a gym? Very basic lifting programs don't require much for equipment, but you do need access to a bench, a barbell, plates, and a squat rack or power cage. Stronglifts 5x5 is my personal recommendation for someone starting out, and I also recommend the book Starting Strength (Kindle edition is only $10) as that book will teach you everything you need to know to get started.

Thanks! I don't really "want" to get into weightlifting. I have weights at home and I can use a bench or something at home. I don't have that other stuff though. You don't think doing various lifting exercises without machines is good enough? :/
    I didn't recommend any machines. A squat rack (or power cage, two different pieces of equipment, but basically perform the same function) isn't a machine. It's a rack to place the barbell while you load the weights. It also has bars or pins to catch the bar if you fail a lift and drop it, to prevent injury. Most good gyms have one. If you want to do it at home, you can always buy one.
  • gemscow2267
    Options
    what do you enter under "exercise" after doing Jillian? I am doing her 30 DS on the side and cannot seem to find what to enter it as under my fitnesspal??? thanks and good luck
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    No I don't have that. Also to be honest I'm pretty self conscious and anxious about everything, which is partly why I like working out at home. I mean I'll do what I have to do but I'm just so sick of changing and switching routines up and stuff.

And like now I'm considering joining that Nerd Fitness thing which costs money too and I'm just so upset. Ugh sorry if I'm being annoying by complaining

The good thing about progressive lifting at home is that you can start with what you have and buy stuff as you go. Google and look on YouTube for dumbells routines or programmes and do them for a few weeks, increasing the weight as you go. If you find you enjoy it then you can buy heavier dumbells OR (IMO far superior) barbell.

I was too awkward at the gym and this is what I did. I was terrible at squats anyway so started with a broomstick and some small plates from amazon (4x1.25kg, 4x2.5kg and 4x5kg). Adding 2.5 kg every time I trained took a good few weeks before I had to invest in a 20kg Olympic bar and by this point, I knew it was something I enjoyed before shelling out for the big stuff. Then when I couldn't get the weight over my head anymore I bought a squat rack. Then as I got better 10 kg plates, then 15 kg plates etc.

Start with what you've got then see how you like it. The reason I went with the bar is there are good programmes and I think it's cheaper to work up the weights. But you have dumbells so try them out and see how you feel.

ETA: I used the floor for bench press for months and my dad ended up making me a bench out of spare wood and carpet. A bench and 25 plates, and some dumbells actually, are next on my shopping list :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Jillian michaels are cardio workouts
  • BXCHICAinOHIO
    BXCHICAinOHIO Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey APECK...you are young - 18 y/o...you don't seem to have a lot to loose, just perhaps tone? Well, when I was my absolute SEXIEST - mid 30's and after having 2 children - I was weight lifting. I did my cardio training too. I have gained most of that weight back...now at 41 y/o what do you think I've begun doing?!? BINGO - - WEIGHT LIFTING!!! Not only are the physical results AWESOME, the psychological/mental benefits are AWESOME! Many still think of "weight lifting" to be a "men's" thing...when a CHICK can get out there and hold her own..trust me, your self esteem soars. Now, when I didn't have access to a gym I bought free weights, a jump rope and good sneakers. I used public parks and my bare minimum equipment to shed fat and TONE. I hope my "middle aged 2 cents" helps you some. All the best to you! And for all the men who chimed in re women and weight lifting - HIGH FIVE for the support!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Well since I'm a girl I probably won't be lifting as much but right now I have 3, 5, and 10 pound dumbbells. I can buy heavier ones but then the question is what do I do with them? Like just curls, rows, etc in routine/circuit form but keeping it heavy unlike Jillian's program so my fat turns to muscle?

Well, when I'm at the gym I do standing overhead press with dumbbells (I feel I can put more into the lift while standing, rather than sitting, and for this lift I just prefer dumbbells to bar). Firstly - maybe use the 3 pound dumbbell as a door stop or something :wink: When I first started weight lifting (I had never considered it before joining this site), despite my arms being my weakest part, I found I could go straight in with overhead pressing 10 pound dumbbells (i.e. 20 pounds total - one in each hand). You are probably stronger than you think :wink: I am following a version of the stronglifts program (can find it free online) and doing 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps each). I have now doubled the weight I can overhead press, and my arms, back and shoulders are already looking better :smile: So maybe try out the overhead press at home - there will be plenty of youtube videos that can demonstrate correct form.
  • apeck422
    Options
    what do you enter under "exercise" after doing Jillian? I am doing her 30 DS on the side and cannot seem to find what to enter it as under my fitnesspal??? thanks and good luck

I have a heart rate monitor so I just plug in the calorie amount each day
  • apeck422
    Options
    This is great 3laine75! Thanks! BTW general Update: I totally forgot I have bands that connect to a door from when I did P90X so I can do pullup type stuff too
  • apeck422
    Options
    Hey APECK...you are young - 18 y/o...you don't seem to have a lot to loose, just perhaps tone? Well, when I was my absolute SEXIEST - mid 30's and after having 2 children - I was weight lifting. I did my cardio training too. I have gained most of that weight back...now at 41 y/o what do you think I've begun doing?!? BINGO - - WEIGHT LIFTING!!! Not only are the physical results AWESOME, the psychological/mental benefits are AWESOME! Many still think of "weight lifting" to be a "men's" thing...when a CHICK can get out there and hold her own..trust me, your self esteem soars. Now, when I didn't have access to a gym I bought free weights, a jump rope and good sneakers. I used public parks and my bare minimum equipment to shed fat and TONE. I hope my "middle aged 2 cents" helps you some. All the best to you! And for all the men who chimed in re women and weight lifting - HIGH FIVE for the support!

Yeah I don't have that much to lose. and thanks!! :)
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Find a lifting program that has you gradually increase the weight you use over time. Something that keeps the number of reps per set low (under 12) and the weight challenging (so it's hard to finish the last couple of reps). You can use any of the barbell programs and just do modified versions of the lifts for DBs. I've been using All Pro's program. It's simple, doesn't take too long to finish, and focuses on compound (multiple muscle group) lifts. Here's a link: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

You really will need heavier weights in a short period of time. Just because you're a girl doesn't mean you're not strong. Your backpack probably weighs more than 10 lbs. Your purse weighs more than 3. Give yourself some credit for your physical capabilities! See if your parents will spring for some 15s and 20s (check Craiglist for used equipment!)

Also, just be aware are fat doesn't "turn into muscle". What you'll be doing is losing fat (by reducing your intake of food and adding exercise you burn more calories than you eat, which reduces fat), and lifting weights help you KEEP the muscle you have. If you just burn calories and don't work your muscles in the meantime, your body will burn fat AND muscle, which you don't want

yes and I will add you want to keep your lean muscle mass because it is the key to sustainable fat loss
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Well since I'm a girl I probably won't be lifting as much but right now I have 3, 5, and 10 pound dumbbells. I can buy heavier ones but then the question is what do I do with them? Like just curls, rows, etc in routine/circuit form but keeping it heavy unlike Jillian's program so my fat turns to muscle?

What dumbbells are you using with 30DS? Try the workout using the 10lb ones, you'll notice the difference:)
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    @OP - I started the Stronglifts program here at home...my profile pic shows you the equipment that I have slowly added to my own 'home gym'. My son got me my barbell and 25lb plates for Christmas - the other weights range from 3lb - 10lbs...certainly enough to keep me busy for awhile. I have done strength training for over a year and they key is Progressive Overload...every workout being more challenging with more weight. Whether you start out with Stronglifts or some other program (FitnessBlender.com on youtube has some awesome strength building workouts) is up to you. You do not need a lot of equipment nor do you need it all right away.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here's a helpful article about getting into weight training as a woman: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You don't need much. A bench and a good set of dumbbells is all you need to get started and make a lot of progress at home. You don't need machines, especially not at first.

I just read all of that and got super pumped and looked into it but it does cost money and I'm kinda sick of investing in stuff if I'm being completely honest. If I have that stuff at home, which I do, now all I need is to know what exactly to do with it haha. I know various exercises, aka, squats, deadlifts, bicep curls, etc. Should I just make a routine with that stuff?

do you have instagram ? My username is annacondak and I give out free lifting advice for men and women....... we all have the same muscles male or female. My husband also posts workouts of me and his instagram is fitnessRXusa. Ask away any questions you may have about the lifts. I can then show you modifications if need be to help you along.

Not many folks I know can keep up with me so keep the good advice of thosebwho gave advice of progressive overload. Each time you go into the gym its not about killing yourself. Its about breaking the muscle down just enough so you can recover and get at it again. Each time then that you go you will get stronger.

As a newbie to the gym you will see improvement doing a lot less then me. I've been consistently weight training for 2.5 years. And coming from over 30% body fat. Gaining lean mass is the holy grail for losing fat and changing your overall body composition.

One last thing.

You cant "tone" lets get this concept out of the fitness mags and mainstream media bull****. Muscles either get bigger or smaller. You either have fat over the muscle or you have less fat over the muscle so you cant see the cuts that the media calls "tone"

great your starting a journey!!! Do your research!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options

If you want to get into weight lifting, do you have access to a gym? Very basic lifting programs don't require much for equipment, but you do need access to a bench, a barbell, plates, and a squat rack or power cage. Stronglifts 5x5 is my personal recommendation for someone starting out, and I also recommend the book Starting Strength (Kindle edition is only $10) as that book will teach you everything you need to know to get started.

Thanks! I don't really "want" to get into weightlifting. I have weights at home and I can use a bench or something at home. I don't have that other stuff though. You don't think doing various lifting exercises without machines is good enough? :/

why don't you want to get into weightlifting? It is a great way to shred body fat, look great, and improve overall physical performance…

I would also recommend all of Tiger's advice + new rules of lifting for woman

Yes! Trust me, OP, you really do want to get into weightlifting! You don't know what you're missing. :wink: :smile:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options

A squat rack or a power cage are not machine, they are holders for the weights. A bench is necessary to do bench presses. Basically, your strength would increase in lifts like the squat where you would have to have something to hold to weight up so you could get under it. Lifting it from the floor would not be an option. That is what the squat rack is for. Also, if you cannot finish the reps of a lift, you need something to put the weight on.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    This is great 3laine75! Thanks! BTW general Update: I totally forgot I have bands that connect to a door from when I did P90X so I can do pullup type stuff too

Those bands are awesome - I'm using them just now for assisted chin-ups.

A jump rope, as someone else said, is great for warming up. Once you start you'll find loads you can use at home (I'm currently doing a couple of dips on the work tops every time I go into the kitchen - only benefit to having a small one).