Stuck on these last three pounds, HELP!

Options
My weight loss journey started last february. I was 5'6'' and 136lbs and definitely not happy with my size. Since then, I've slowly but surely lost 13 lbs and I now weight 123 lbs.
My goal weight is 120 lbs.

My problem is for the last two/three months I've been losing and gaining the same two pounds over and over and OVER again. I'll get a reading of 122 one week, 123 the next, 124, and then the cycle starts all over, its driving me insane!

My food diary is open for anyone who has suggestions. I eat 1550 cals a day (recently dropped from 1630) and I walk 4 miles daily.

Do I need to just cut calories some more in order to get these last few lbs off? I didnt work this hard for almost a year to just let a few lbs keep me from my goal!

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post because this is so me. I've been stuck with these last three pounds since August. Nothing I do will take it off. I'm at the point now where I'm about ready to write it off. Statistically speaking, three pounds is nothing. I think, for me, I just want to see an even 30 pound loss.

I have a Fitbit and I eat under my calories burned every single day. I do circuit training 4x/week.

Now, I have noticed a change in my body and I have dropped a pants size so I'm thinking I'm actually gaining muscle and that's why those three pounds are sticking around.

I have no advise for you other than you're not alone.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Nope, you need to SHOCK your body into doing something.

Your body adapts to stimuli that cause it harm. When you start running or walking, it's a shock to your body, your muscles aren't used to contracting and staying under tension for that long.

After a while, the body adapts to the stimuli, and the same work is performed with less effort.

http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-get-a-body-like-jessica-biel/

read that article for a general idea on how to nuke the last ten pounds. Essentially, every pound of muscle gained will increase your BMR by 50 calories. Gain ten pounds of muscle everywhere, and look more filled out.. and you'll be able to eat an extra 500 calories per day just maintaining.

=)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your goal should be set to .5 lb. per week. The closer you are to goal, the harder it is to lose. (Personally, I'd ditch the "nutrition" bars. They're no better for you than candy bars.)

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • Tommy079
    Tommy079 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You've hit what they call a weight loss plateau. You just need to get a little more strict with your regimen for a little while and shock your body with a change up of some high intensity workouts mixed in in-place of what you're currently doing. Walking that much is great don't get me wrong, but you could try sets of sprints. In football training we call them suicides where you start at one end of a gym and run as fast as you can touch the first line, run back and then run to the half court line, then back, then to the 3/4 line, and back and finally all the way across the gym and all the way back... 3 or 4 of those, something like that maybe every 2 days.

Also really crack down on healthy food selections. Try to avoid foods with a lot of carbs for a while. Look up a list of low carb foods and try to pick from that as much as possible for a little while.

Finally here is some good expert advice:

http://coach.healthytrim.com/healthe-resources/weight-loss-plateaus/
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I at first thought you were a vegetarian by looking at your diary for the past 3-4 days and then I saw some meat like 5 days ago or so. I was going to suggest that if you were a vegetarian to consume more protein. Perhaps more protein would help though. I agree with the other reply that suggests its muscle weight. I saw your goal as to fit into your size 3 pants, can you do that yet? If so I would chalk it up as 2-3lbs of fabulous muscle :D
    I know myself the number on the scale shouldnt matter but I struggle with the numbers too.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Perhaps more protein would help though. I agree with the other reply that suggests its muscle weight. I saw your goal as to fit into your size 3 pants, can you do that yet? If so I would chalk it up as 2-3lbs of fabulous muscle.
    ^^^This.

I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimum & ignore the rest.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'd try cleaning up your diet some. Lower the carbs and up the protein. Ditch the bars and go for unprocessed. Then, shake up your workout routine. HIIT workouts, or maybe just adding in sprints. Finally, be patient and aim for .5 lb a week.
  • csearcher34
    Options
    I'll try raising my protein intake, I just can never think of what I can have for protein other than chicken and eggs!? Nuts are really calorie dense....

As for working out I can try to add in some new things, But I'm a full-time student with a part time job, so honestly I don't have all that extra time that I can dedicate to new intense workouts...

Sooo the general consensus is that I should choose better foods, but not lower cals anymore?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I'll try raising my protein intake, I just can never think of what I can have for protein other than chicken and eggs!? Nuts are really calorie dense.
    Yes, nuts are calorie dense, but they also have high satiety value, meaning a 100-calorie handful of nuts will keep you full way longer than a sugary "nutrition" bar. Hard-boiled eggs, string cheese, portion-controlled nuts, and yogurt are all yummy, high-protein snacks.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    How about not caring about them? Will losing 3 more pounds change your clothing size?

Ultimately my size is smaller than I ever planned and I am 5 pounds from my original goal
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Is something magical going to happen at 120 lbs? Because at this point, you may be better off focusing body recomp than a number on a scale. Add in more protein, and start doing some resistance training. You'll strengthen the lean muscle, which will help you burn fat and lose inches. Which means you'll still end up in your size 3 jeans.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd start eating some real food, including meat, fruit and vegetables. The quality of the food you eat is important.

That said, I think you're obsessing about a number on the scale that isn't really that important. Three pounds isn't going to make a difference to how you look or even how you feel.
  • csearcher34
    Options
    Well, the jeans I wanted to fit into do fit now...just not as comfortably as I would like. I was hoping that all it would take is the next three pounds in order to get them to be comfortable.

I know that I am hung up on the number. But after having it as my goal for the past year, it's really hard to change my mindset about reaching it, if that makes sense.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am in free same boat! I'm a little under 5'5" and my goal weight is 117. I got there about 2 1/2 weeks ago but now I'm back up to 120. I'm eating the same and running even longer so I'm annoyed as well. I know it's just a number but I would still like to get there and maintain it :).
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    Protein can come in several forms. If you've got a decent blender, you can find a protein powder that goes well with your taste buds and add it with fresh fruit, ice and some milk (which also has a decent amount of protein) to make a smoothie or a shake, a real one.

Cottage cheese is one of my favorites, when I pair it with a cup of mixed fruit in light syrup. Cottage cheese is mostly whey protein.

Meat is great, I LOVE asian food, my ketchup is the same as the ketchup of japan: soy sauce. I usually stir fry up some vegetables and cook some rice and have a well rounded meal. I love adding either strips of chicken breast or sliced sirloin to the wok and stir frying them first.

The trick isn't to find new sources of protein, it's to make the ones you already know fun and uplifting. Look for new recipies, go in the culinary direction you want!

My favorite late night snack: Deviled eggs.

They're nasty and full of fat though, so I thought like Alton Brown. Egg whites are mostly protein, and yolks are protein and fats. Mayo, the key ingredient in deviled eggs, is whipped egg whites with oil blended in, in an emulsion.

Okay, well if yolks are mostly fat, can't you just thin the hard boiled yolks with some skim milk and use only a tablespoon of mayo to get the consistency right?

I also add in honey mustard, salt & fresh pepper, a dash of horseradish, a tsp of sweet pickle relish, and smoked paprika on top. The whole thing comes out to

3 hard boiled eggs = 230 cals, 2 carbs, 15 fat, and 18 g of protein, and they taste just like paula dean's heart attack mayo bombs.

That's the challenge for people like us, finding inexpensive sources of protein that we like, and preparing them in what may be... unorthodox ways. 90% lean ground beef is epic, so is ground turkey but it's more expensive. Steak, beans, pork, chicken, eggs, fish, and protein fluff muffins (made with protein powder, you can find recipes anywhere) are all ways you can eat protein. OH and don't forget! CENTER CUT BACON, WHICH HAS MORE PROTEIN THAN FAT IN IT! Yes, you can have bacon too if you want.

Make your own little cookbook! Every time you think of something you like and crave, think of how to rearrange the recipe to optimize protein and limit fats.

:drinker:
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I am in free same boat! I'm a little under 5'5" and my goal weight is 117. I got there about 2 1/2 weeks ago but now I'm back up to 120. I'm eating the same and running even longer so I'm annoyed as well. I know it's just a number but I would still like to get there and maintain it :).

Maybe your body doesn't want to be there. Just a thought. No one can see those 3 pounds, not even you. I think you should give it a rest.
  • csearcher34
    Options
    Do you guys really think that changing my macros will help with my plateau? Does eating too much carbs encourage weight gain/stall somehow?
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. I'm 5'4. When I was 120 lbs, I had pretty darn close to no body fat anywhere but my boobs. Is it at all possible your body has no actual fat to lose? Don't get hung up on a size, or a number - your body may just not be made for that. That's all! It sounds like you've done really well, and there comes a point when it's actually UNHEALTHY to lose any more weight. I'd consult your doctor, tell him your goal, and ask him if it's possible and healthy. Remember that muscle has mass too! To lose those 3lbs, would you have to lose your hard-earned muscle?
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    Do you guys really think that changing my macros will help with my plateau? Does eating too much carbs encourage weight gain/stall somehow?

Yes. Here's how it breaks down:

It's called the thermic effect of food, it's the caloric and metabolic cost of your body breaking down a nutrient into smaller forms that it can assimilate.

Carbs cost about 5%, meaning you get 95% of the calories absorbed from eaten carbs.

Fats are around 0-3%, since a fat is just fatty acids attached to a glycerol molecule. When you eat a fat, the body has literally very little to do to turn the fatty acids you just ate into fatty acids which get stored in your fat cell.

Protein costs 25-35%, meaning out of 100 calories worth of protein, you'll only absorb 65 to 75 calories worth of that food. The rest of the energy is absorbed, but it takes SO much more effort to unchain amino acids that you lose a lot of energy in the breakdown, and it's much less efficient.

So, you can see that two diets of 1500 calories, one focused on carbs and the other focused on protein, the higher protein diet will show a larger loss in weight. I know there are a couple studies out there, but I don't have them bookmarked.

And as to your question about low carbing,
  • foxynannyjenny
    foxynannyjenny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    do the 5.2 diet, it's marvellous!!