female weight lifting question

Options
13»

Replies

• apeck422
    Options
    Well since I'm a girl I probably won't be lifting as much but right now I have 3, 5, and 10 pound dumbbells. I can buy heavier ones but then the question is what do I do with them? Like just curls, rows, etc in routine/circuit form but keeping it heavy unlike Jillian's program so my fat turns to muscle?

What dumbbells are you using with 30DS? Try the workout using the 10lb ones, you'll notice the difference:)

I've been using 3 and 5 lbs. Will do!
  • apeck422
    Options
    Here's a helpful article about getting into weight training as a woman: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You don't need much. A bench and a good set of dumbbells is all you need to get started and make a lot of progress at home. You don't need machines, especially not at first.

I just read all of that and got super pumped and looked into it but it does cost money and I'm kinda sick of investing in stuff if I'm being completely honest. If I have that stuff at home, which I do, now all I need is to know what exactly to do with it haha. I know various exercises, aka, squats, deadlifts, bicep curls, etc. Should I just make a routine with that stuff?

do you have instagram ? My username is annacondak and I give out free lifting advice for men and women....... we all have the same muscles male or female. My husband also posts workouts of me and his instagram is fitnessRXusa. Ask away any questions you may have about the lifts. I can then show you modifications if need be to help you along.

Not many folks I know can keep up with me so keep the good advice of thosebwho gave advice of progressive overload. Each time you go into the gym its not about killing yourself. Its about breaking the muscle down just enough so you can recover and get at it again. Each time then that you go you will get stronger.

As a newbie to the gym you will see improvement doing a lot less then me. I've been consistently weight training for 2.5 years. And coming from over 30% body fat. Gaining lean mass is the holy grail for losing fat and changing your overall body composition.

One last thing.

You cant "tone" lets get this concept out of the fitness mags and mainstream media bull****. Muscles either get bigger or smaller. You either have fat over the muscle or you have less fat over the muscle so you cant see the cuts that the media calls "tone"

great your starting a journey!!! Do your research!

I'll message you my instagram! Thanks for this advice! And I've done a lot of research and to be honest it's making me a little OCD.
  • 93nan
    93nan Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump