I hate exercise

Options
Basically as the subject says, I really don't like exercise, I've tried everything, body pump, running, aerobics, (don't have a bike but do enjoy cycling), zumba etc. I don't mind any of it but I can't keep it up long-term more than a few months just because I don't enjoy it but am more doing it for duty. I do like walking but only walk about 3 miles a day on average so not a lot.

I know health wise this isn't the best but losing weight wise am I really hindering myself?

I find if I don't exercise I get far less hungry too!

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    you can definitely lose weight without exercise. The only thing you need to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn. If you don't exercise, then you will just eat fewer calories.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, as long as you are eating at a caloric deficit. However, exercise is absolutely necessary for health and fitness, and for maintaining muscle while losing weight.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Then don't exercise, find activities that you enjoy. If you enjoy cycling buy a bike, go for a walk, play tennis, go kayaking.....find ways to make it fun.

I started running because, like eating your vegetables, it's good for you and I fell in love with it when I changed the way I thought about it. We think of exercise in terms of work when it should be play.

If you maintain a modest, consistent caloric deficit you will lose weight with or without exercise. Exercise promotes fitness and health not weight loss in fact it's not uncommon for distance runners to put on a few pounds training for a long race.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Well, you say that you hate it, but then you go on to say that you don't mind it, but feel it's a bit of a chore. Ok, so treat a=it as something that just needs to be done. What else do you do regularly that you maybe don't enjoy that much? Every day, people go to jobs they don't really like, or clean their house, or do other chores that they don't love, but know they need to do because of how it benefits them in the long run. Look at exercise as just something you need to do for your long term health and well being. Pick whichever is least objectionable, don't spend hours and hours doing it, just do enough to get the health benefits. If you find you're getting bored after a period of time, switch to something else.

While you're at it, try to pick things that have an obvious progression (like running further/faster, or lifting heavier, or going up levels in martial arts), or where you're learning new skills, as they will probably keep you more interested. You also said that you enjoy cycling and walking, so make a point of doing those. Invest in a bike. Put time aside to go for longer walks in your free time. Or, don't. It's your choice. :smile:
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate that walking you do. But you really should incorporate strength training if you can. It's not just for weight loss!
  • nataliesweet19
    Options
    You need to find something that you actually ENJOY doing. There must be something you like. Can I suggest body combat? It´s a lot of fun, with music, kicks and dance moves and you burn lots of calories. It´s really a lot of fun.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    For me, any exercise becomes a chore if I do the same thing day in and day out...so I change it up. Elliptical one day. Yoga another, long walks, running, weights, dvd's, etc. etc. Changing it up works for me. And sometimes just a quick short work out is all I feel like doing but I don't feel as much of a slacker if I at least get in 15-20 min of some kind of healthy movement in. :) Find a combo that works for you! :D
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me, any exercise becomes a chore if I do the same thing day in and day out...so I change it up. Elliptical one day. Yoga another, long walks, running, weights, dvd's, etc. etc. Changing it up works for me. And sometimes just a quick short work out is all I feel like doing but I don't feel as much of a slacker if I at least get in 15-20 min of some kind of healthy movement in. :) Find a combo that works for you! :D

Agreed, variety breaks up the monotony.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Exercise: 7 benefits of regular physical activity

No. 1: Exercise controls weight

No. 2: Exercise combats health conditions and diseases

No. 3: Exercise improves mood

No. 4: Exercise boosts energy

No. 5: Exercise promotes better sleep

No. 6: Exercise puts the spark back into your sex life

No. 7: Exercise can be fun

http://www.mayoclinic.org/exercise/art-20048389

Sometimes you need to suck it up and do things we don't like to do!!
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Just an excuse. Get up and do something productive.
  • Nakedgrass
    Nakedgrass Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with exercise, because of medical reasons, but...there are many activities you can do that give you adequate exercise and strength training, without going to the gym:
    Do you like to garden
    Walk your dog
    You can park further away from your destination
    Washing your car
    Shoveling snow
    Chopping wood
    Walking the stairs, instead of the elevator ( or just some of them)
    Playing with your kids
    Trampoline
    Swimming
    Hula hooping
    Skateing
    Moving furniture around
    Window shopping
    Basket ball
    Football
    Soccer
    Baseball/softball
    Throw your socks all over the floor and pick them up 1 by 1 a few times
    Horse back riding
    Rakeing grass
    Push mowing the grass
    Weed trimming

That's just a few I could think of, but they are all really good exercise and some are even strength training. You just have to change the way that you look at exercise.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Exercise: 7 benefits of regular physical activity

No. 1: Exercise controls weight

No. 2: Exercise combats health conditions and diseases

No. 3: Exercise improves mood

No. 4: Exercise boosts energy

No. 5: Exercise promotes better sleep

No. 6: Exercise puts the spark back into your sex life

No. 7: Exercise can be fun

http://www.mayoclinic.org/exercise/art-20048389

Sometimes you need to suck it up and do things we don't like to do!!

Umm... no.

Everyone knows the above points. Doing something you know you hate isn't sustainable long term, so those points will never be realized if you don't do them long term.

OP, I hate aerobic activity, except for recreational things, like: kayaking, hiking, and cycling. Unfortunately, it's hard to always do those things. Dance classes and tae kwan do are my favorites. I recently started lifting weights and love it! You should check into something you might truly enjoy, work it into your routine and build on it with cardio activities that you do enjoy. Life's too short to be a rat on a treadmill (unless you enjoy the treadmill). Eat at a deficit to lose weight and do the exercises of your choice. Some exercise is better than no exercise. ;-)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise. But you're likely to lose a lot of muscle in the process, and it's possible that you will end up being thin but flabby.

There are many things I don't especially like doing, but that I do because (a) I know they are good for me, like brushing and flossing my teeth, or (b) I like the results of having done them, like calorie restriction. I enjoy several forms of aerobic exercise, but for me, strength training falls into category B. I don't like doing it, but I like having done it, because I notice the results. (Since I generally cycle, walk, and run for aerobic exercise, I focus on core and upper body exercises when doing strength training.)

If you can't motivate yourself otherwise, you could look into commitment contracts such as those offered by Beeminder.com, where you pledge a small amount of money that you lose if you don't do what you said you want to do. They operate on the principle of akrasia: doing things against your own better judgment because they are attractive in the moment. This recent post (with accompanying video) on their blog sets out the idea: http://blog.beeminder.com/qs2013/

I use Beeminder to track the physical therapy for my back, and my strength training, because I find that otherwise I tend to slack off, and I feel a lot better when I do them regularly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. You don't need it to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. You don't need it to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

what the guy in the sombrero said….!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    According to most experts, exercise is only about 20% of any weight loss plan.

It does seem like you focus on one exercise at a time. Try alternating days or weeks.
  • pnubn1
    pnubn1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Get some music in your ears...and walk the weight away. Walking is very good for heart health...body toning...and weigh loss. Once you start walking...you won't wanna stop....the music takes over..and you just go with the flow.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be anything you use to elevate your heart rate.

Anything you find fun will work.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lifting? It is far less grueling than being on the elliptical for an hour and you get visible results.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If you love to walk, have you tried hiking? That's fun and the hills help you burn extra calories. Also, you can see some amazing things while doing it! Plus, it's basically just an extra long walk.