Is gluten free cous cous a 'clean' food?

Options

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Couscous is pasta...... But this is gluten free couscous. I've never seen such a thing so I don't know what it's made of.

I also don't know what is meant by clean.

But I know that carb sensitivity varies from one person to the next, and it pays to keep an eye on carb content. I still wouldn't throw out perfectly edible food, though, and I think it was that comment which has riled a lot of posters.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you but cous cous is pasta. Nothing clean about pasta.

Oh really? I didn't know. Thank you. Straight for the bin then.

I get you want to minimize processed food and eat 'clean', I think that's a good thing. I do it too.

But throwing away perfectly good food??? It's couscous, not a twinkie FFS. JUST EAT IT.

Nothing gets on my nerves more than throwing away perfectly good food. Just because it's 'a little high in carbs', BIG F-N DEAL. Avoid eating every day if you can, but having it for lunch won't kill you or suddenly make you gain 10 lbs.

Seriously, this made me so upset....
  • happilysingle69
    happilysingle69 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm with you girlygirl I too just want to eat clean more fresh fruits and vegetable not necessarily for low carbs intake...
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    if you washed it before cooking, then yes it is clean.

Best comment in whole thread.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to define a food as "clean" or "not clean" without an ingredient list.

If you decide you just can't eat it, try to give it away. Don't waste it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

:noway:

Really hope OP is messing with us.

has to be, because bloating and stuff from the ground got me thinking......beans, night shade plants, day shade plants, plants in general, plant specific, turtles, all need to be cleaned 'otherwise bloating will occur' I'm using most of this thread for stand-up next week, thanks to all for participating.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Orthorexia.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    no. its dirty and you need to wash it before cooking it
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do you weight lift? Are you wanting to gain musle and get an ultra flat stomach that isn't bloated with bad foods? Well that's me. I'm diabetic and I'm wanna eat low gi foods that keep my sugar level balanced also , I don't want rubbish foods...
    How do you know if it will give you a bloated stomach if you haven't tried it?
    I'm trying to get a flatter stomach by eating less food than calories I burn. Working so far and has previous times, regardless of the food I ate - in fact, when I ate generally clean (sic) it wasn't as effective because I wasn't so much following proven research.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    orthorexia----> Orthorexia is not mentioned in the widely used DSM[a], but was coined by Bratman[4] who claims that in rare cases, this focus may turn into a fixation so extreme that it can lead to severe malnutrition or even death.

from the wiki above...thought it said Batman.....I do not recall Batman ever using this term.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly clean if you rinse it under the tap.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Why donate it to a church or food bank? We're such a wasteful society.
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Honestly, I don't care what you eat. But throwing away perfectly good food is unacceptable. Please,...donate it, give it to a friend, a neighbor,...really, anyone will do.
  • kmart919
    kmart919 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can donate the free cous cous to me I stead of the garbage! I haven't even had cous cous in years, but I'll take the free food! No need to waste! I eat a carb heavy diet and I don't find that carbs bloat me. Carbs do not bloat everyone across the board. I think my stomach looks pretty decent even with my carb heavy, dirty diet. The definition of "clean eating" is a personal preference. There is no one, true definition so what you should do, instead of asking a bunch of differently opinionated strangers on the Internet if you should eat something is google what cous cous actually is, decide if it's something you want to try, if yes then try it and decide If you like it. If you like it, eat it. If you don't, then don't, but for goodness sake, don't be wasteful :(

Eta: I'm not sure if gluten free cous cous would even be good, but I do like regular cous cous.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Honestly, I don't care what you eat. But throwing away perfectly good food is unacceptable. Please,...donate it, give it to a friend, a neighbor,...really, anyone will do.
    But then if you really believed it was 'junk' and 'dirty', would you want to inflict it on someone else? :)
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    But then if you really believed it was 'junk' and 'dirty', would you want to inflict it on someone else? :)
    Um you're not "inflicting" food on people who go to food banks because they're starving and have nothing else.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    For the record; the smiley was to help make it clear it was a joke!

When housemates in a shared house have left, I've usually been the first one to scavenge everything I can.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I don't want bloating stomach foods?

Agreed!!! people get soo defensive when anyone mentions eating clean!!! I know it makes me feel amazing and thats why I do it , it might not be for everyone !! to each their own !!!

Unless you have celiacs or a gluten intolerance, carbs will not bloat you.

Oh i eat carbs !!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Um you're not "inflicting" food on people who go to food banks because they're starving and have nothing else.

In this instance I agree with you. Cous cous is perfectly good and nutritious source of carbs and should be donated to a food bank. Having worked with and used food banks in the past, it's better to toss the sodas and cookies in the trash.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Having worked with and used food banks in the past, it's better to toss the sodas and cookies in the trash.
    So, for someone that hasn't got enough food, why is 'soda' (presuming not a sugar free one - that could be bad if it filled them up without providing energy) or cookies a bad idea?