Eating 2200 Cals and Burning 1100, Good enough?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm 6'2'' weigh 290lbs and want to get down to around 230lbs by June. I started dieting and eating 2200 calls a day, eating all healthy stuff. I also burn 1100 cal at the gym. Is that too many calories to be consuming or should I cut it down? I'm not eating back the cals I burn either. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    your expecting to burn that much everyday? if you just started exercising you might hurt yourself.

your a pretty big guy, you could cut down to 1900 if you want.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are burning that much? The number seems high.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    How are you coming up with the 1100 calories burned number? What are you doing in the gym? Two and a half hours of cardio?

And no, it is not ok. That leaves your net calories at 1,100, which is too low for a guy of your size. I am 310lbs, 6'0" and I eat 2,500 calories per day minimum and I'm losing at a great rate.
  • GeordieRover
    GeordieRover Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We sound in similar territory, Iam 5ft 8 ,weigh approx 227, and burn approx 9,000 calories per week, mainly on an exercise recumbent bike, with some(5%simultaneous 1.5 kg dumbell workouts )and some road bike workouts.

Don't listen to other people so much, do what your body is telling you.
    You are heavy, Iam heavy, we have a bit of fat reserves to support our bodies.

Yesterday I burned approx 1900 calories on the exercise bike, feel ok today and have burned another 1000 so far by 2.35pm

Have only consumed approx 400 calories in food but have had a few beers, being the weekend.

The point is, eat balanced, don't over do it, but don't use the warning as a excuse perhaps?

We want to get the weight off, it requires huge effort, when we have become big.
    Stop...if you feel lightheaded for awhile consume some calories.
    But don't think , burning 1000 calories is too much

Do what your inner being thinks is wise, don't go soft, because someone tells you 1000 calories is too much to burn.

When I first got the exercise bike 8o calories seemed like a big deal.

It's a ll about motivation.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    We sound in similar territory, Iam 5ft 8 ,weigh approx 227, and burn approx 9,000 calories per week, mainly on an exercise recumbent bike, with some(5%simultaneous 1.5 kg dumbell workouts )and some road bike workouts.

Don't listen to other people so much, do what your body is telling you.
    You are heavy, Iam heavy, we have a bit of fat reserves to support our bodies.

Yesterday I burned approx 1900 calories on the exercise bike, feel ok today and have burned another 1000 so far by 2.35pm

Have only consumed approx 400 calories in food but have had a few beers, being the weekend.

The point is, eat balanced, don't over do it, but don't use the warning as a excuse perhaps?

We want to get the weight off, it requires huge effort, when we have become big.
    Stop...if you feel lightheaded for awhile consume some calories.
    But don't think , burning 1000 calories is too much

Do what your inner being thinks is wise, don't go soft, because someone tells you 1000 calories is too much to burn.

When I first got the exercise bike 8o calories seemed like a big deal.

It's a ll about motivation.

:laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Dude, I'm only 180 lbs and I eat 2400 a day to maintain.

BTW, "listening to your body" is how a lot of people get to be obese to begin with. When you add in appetite-sapping vitamin deficiencies from undereating, listening to your body can become an even worse idea.

Also, ditch the schedule/deadline for losing a certain amount. Eat at a moderate deficit, get all the micronutrients your body needs, fuel your workouts, and let the timing of your loss work itself out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough for good nutrition. Please re think this plan before you hurt yourself.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing hours of exercise a day that burn is wrong, and if its right you're not eating enough and lets be honest do you think you can keep up that exercise every day? be more realistic I'm 6'1 197 and eat 2k cals a day and still lose.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman, 5'11" and 165 lbs and I maintain on 2400 on non workout days, 2600-3000 on workout days.
    Eating just 2200 as a guy and working out so much does not seem healthy, I think you're creating a too big deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Rodriguez and Geordie,

I hate to tell you this, but there is a 99.99999 % chance that you are way overestimating your calorie burns. Where do those estimates come from?