I hate exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way about: going to work, play dates for my kids, cleaning the house, laundry, mowing the lawn, doctor visits, PTA meetings and shoveling snow.

But I do it anyway because I know it has to get done.

ETA: I remember telling my wife a year ago how much I hated the gym and that "I'll never be a gym person" I ended up logging 213 gym days! I get really bored so I set personal fitness goals that are short term and attainable. Once I hit them I move on to something else. I've done boxing, stronglifts, all pro beginner workout, doing C25K currently. Circuit training.

The biggest difference is the gym days are noticeably changing my body more than just eating a deficit. If you get really hungry ( as I do) have something light before and after the gym or eat back all or 50% of your exercise calories.

Put the earbuds in, tune out the world and get busy.
  • catmusic64
    Options
    What's wrong with walking 3 miles a day? Unless it takes you 8 hours, of course.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio.. so I weight train with vigor. I'll get rid of the flub with my calorie deficit. No reason to hate what you are doing to improve yourself, it HAS TO be sustainable.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio.. so I weight train with vigor. I'll get rid of the flub with my calorie deficit. No reason to hate what you are doing to improve yourself, it HAS TO be sustainable.

Same
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When you just don't enjoy anything involving exercise, it's worth doing some looking inside. Exercise can be so many activities, many of which people do for the pure fun of it. I wonder if someone tried to force you to do things, or made comments about how you look doing things, or was never happy no matter what you did, or decided you must have extra time on your hands so here's some extra work for you to do, or whatever ... so that you won't enjoy exercise until it becomes something you do for your own pleasure, without feeling like that person is criticizing you when you do.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. Exercise is not necessary for weight loss BUT it does allow you to eat more and lose weight.

2. Any activity can be exercise. Try to find any activity you do like to do. You said you like cycling. Invest in a cycle.

3. The benefits of exercise have been mentioned. It is not just about weight loss.

Best wishes on your every success.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I notice everything you tried is a dedicated workout program sort of thing. Ever consider just biking, or paddling (if you've got water nearby)? You know... something more like play?

You don't need exercise to lose weight, but moving about is great for your health.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I was like you once. I worked out but hated it and only did it because I wanted to keep in shape. Then I discovered weight lifting and everything changed. I love it now. Keep trying different things. It took me 30 years but I finally found my nitch.
  • lorie828
    Options
    I don't want to invade this conversation, but I found it because I am the founder of a site that aims to encourage people who hate to exercise to find something they like and learn how to do safely and so they'll want to keep doing it. MyFitnessPal seems to be more for folks who mostly like exercise, but if you ever want to share your story of how you went from an exercise hater to an exercise lover I'd love to feature it on ih8exercise.com and our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Ih8exercise

Good luck to all - looks like you're all doing an amazing job!

Thanks,
    Lorie Parch