thyroid only success stories

Options
124»

Replies

• macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    45, on levothyroxine for 16 years for thyroiditis/hypothyroid. On my last US it was reported as "diminutive thyroid". Isn't that cute?!

Height 5'1"
    SW 149.9
    CW 128
    GW Well, was 130, then 120, now maintaining until I feel motivated enough to lose more

I lost the last 5 pounds while my TSH was in the 30s (hormone changes mess with your thyroid, it had been stable for years). Have been maintaining for 2 years.
  • zapampnmp
    Options
    Hypothyroid - Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Have been on synthroid for 15 years. Photos are in my profile. :smile:

OMG! I have the same exact thing and I take the same exact meds! I've never met anyone who has the same condition as me :flowerforyou:
    I always say I am an honorary Samuri because I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It sounds very Samuri(y). lol :drinker:

I have hashimote's as well. And take synthroid. Have been doing so for oh 7 yrs now. My dr, who used to be a pharmacist long ago, told me to never get the generic for my synthroid... too sketchy. My pet peeve is whenever I am feeling mentally scattered or angry somebody saying oh did you forget to eat o.0 Like I am not allowed to be forgetful or upset about anything ever.
  • bluebirds5
    bluebirds5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jamiemommaof3
    jamiemommaof3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroid - Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Have been on synthroid for 15 years. Photos are in my profile. :smile:

OMG! I have the same exact thing and I take the same exact meds! I've never met anyone who has the same condition as me :flowerforyou:
    I always say I am an honorary Samuri because I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It sounds very Samuri(y). lol :drinker:

I have Hashimoto's too! I was diagnosed with it when I was 12, so I have been taking Levothyroxine or Synthyroid for 22 years.
  • TheContraryAthlete
    Options
    Hashimoto's here!

Started seeing a new doctor who is re-teaching me how to eat for my thyroid.

SW 328
    CW 288
    GW 250 (just to start...) :love:
  • michelleintx
    michelleintx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hyperthyroid - Radioactive iodine - Armour Thyroid (180)

Starting: 277
    Current: 232
    GW: 165

I'm 5'10"
  • RedDirtGirl16
    RedDirtGirl16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • poodlema
    poodlema Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 28 yo

SW: 210 lbs
    CW: 210 lbs
    GW: 180 lbs

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism with Hashimotos Disease when I was 10 years old. I never had any weight issues until recently.

I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer March 2012, had a complete thyriodectomy and partial neck dissection in April 2012. Had a radiation treatment on June 2012.

June 2013, I got the wonderful news that I am one year cancer free.

I have tried to loose weight but I am obviously not doing so well.

Thank you to all who have posted to this post. I welcome all help and new friends to help guide me to a healthy lifestyle.
  • DeenerN
    DeenerN Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Success in the making here-- Had Partial Thyroidectomy in '09 finally after someone would listen to all my symptoms. On medication and working hard. Slow process but I've lost 35 lbs and working towards a goal of a 129lbs lost. 43 yrs old and 5'8
  • sandywerks
    sandywerks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you know you have hypothyroidism, then you should be taking medication for it, being followed by a doctor to check your levels, and if your levels are in the normal range (w/rare exceptions), then you shouldn't have symptoms because you are no longer HYPOthyroidic. So there's no reason that losing weight should be a problem if your condition is being managed properly. Unless you have some other undiagnosed medical condition.

I have hypothyroidism & before I was diagnosed I did gain weight & have trouble losing. Once I got on the meds & they got my levels in a normal range, then no more symptoms. The only issue I have w/my weight now is related to how consistent I am w/my diet & exercise.

So please...no one w/hypothyroidism should be discouraged. If you treat it properly, then it's a non-issue.

I disagree that it's a non issue. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which means my levels can swing high/low. So medicating is tricky for me. I have to get my levels checked alot more frequently and adjust accordingly.
    But yes, it is possible to lose weight with thyroid issues. It's not easy. You have to find a good Doctor who's on board with you, and making sure you are getting proper treatment. I was put on synthroid 3 yrs ago when I was first dx, and it made me worse. I am taking Armour Thyroid now and it has made all the difference. I have lost 7 lbs so far. Here's to keep going. Chin up everyone!

SW:197.6
    CW: 190.4
    GW: 165 - 170

5'10'

^^ This
  • alicebot
    alicebot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's. Took me a lot of time because I didn't starve myself, just cleaned my diet and worked out a lot.

SW: 159 lbs
    CW:136lbs
    GW: 120lbs

There is hope for us too :)
  • GinNJuice75
    GinNJuice75 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed in 2012. Before that i had lost 160lbs sad to say (for a few reasons..thyroid...back troubles..not eating right) i regained 60lbs. Well been doing LCHF WOE since January 1st and have lost 15lbs so far. *keeping fingers crossed* That it keeps going as smoothly. I am also on 175 mcg of Synthroid.
  • S1inky
    S1inky Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos and take t3 x 20 and t4x 125 - I have been on this for ages and am now determined to sort myself out. I cant do the hungry type diets so I am loosely following dukan and in for the long haul err hopefully for the last time.
  • maureen_30
    maureen_30 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thyroidectomy in 2011 due to cancer; no radiation. Took Synthroid and it made me stupid… foggy, inarticulate, tired. Went onto stopthethyroidmadness and switched to Armour- 2 grains per day.

Weight is coming off but not because of medication but because I am doing MFP- portion control and exercise! I was still eating like I was back in university and I'm 45!

SW- 160
    CW- 148
    GW- 128-135?
  • Primeval_Princess
    Options
    Hashimoto's here (as well as other autoimmune diseases). I switched from Synthroid to Armour Thyroid as I was no longer converting T3 and I'm doing much better on it. Everyone is different on which meds we respond to best.
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Any more stories, please write in.. looking for motivation..
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism/PCOS/IR here. I was diagnosed with hypo when my hair rapidly fell out and I gained 20 lbs in 4 months. (I was underweight prior to hypothyroidism due to genetics, so the additional weight was needed.) That was back in 2005-ish. I don't have any pictures to show and I'm not getting into my current weight or goals now because I BELIEVE my metabolism is in the normal range for someone my age with the help of Synthroid. I take 75mcg per day, and I've been on that dose since 2008. My TSH usually runs between 1-2, which is perfect for me. The only time I gain weight is when I eat too much and don't exercise, so I can't blame my thyroid anymore. :laugh:
  • ballito
    ballito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Same as a previous poster. I had my first operation to remove part of my goitre when I was 20 and was placed in meds. The goitre kept growing and I had another op when I was 32 to remove part of it. I had my last op four years and the gland was removed. I've since been on Levothyroxine probably for the rest of my days. I'm checked regularly and just get on with things. I don't think this has played any part in me being not able to lose any weight is more likely just lazy and over eating. I joined MFP in 2012 but I've only been serious since February. SW was 92.3, cw 87.4 not sure what goal is. Will know when I get there.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Following! I'm 5'3" and am on Synthroid and Cytomel. I was super close to my goal weight before I got pregnant with my 3rd baby and apparently needed the ratio adjusted which resulted in gaining more than I did with either of my other pregnancies. I am now trying to keep that all sorted out with my doctor as there is so much going on with your body after having a baby that can affect thyroid. I still have 25-30 lbs to go but I'm celebrating each one I get rid of! Sooo cool to find this thread!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!