Juice or smoothie fast?

Options
Any thoughts from anyone about a smoothie or juice fast? been doing some research and I am thinking I might give a 5 day smoothie a go...not sure i am willing or able for a juice fast, doesn't seem it would be too filling without the fiber. Anyone with experience, advice, thoughts?

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Never done a full on juice fast. Fast, Sick & Nearly Dead can be streamed on Netflix or you can watch it on their website if you're interested in learning more about it.
  • Maybol3
    Options
    I have been doing a juice fast for 8 days and I have lost 10 lbs. I feel great so far, just got to get over the day 3/4 hurtle, I recommend doing at least 10 days. You are right the juice is not filling but it is satisfying my body's need for nutrients. You should drink psyllium husk mixed with water, it clears out most of the gunk that is still in your digestive tract and gives you the full feeling. When I get the urge to "eat" or chew something i will have a banana or an avocado (mixed with ground garlic and sea salt).
    If you haven't already watch "Fat, sick and nearly dead" on netflix it's a great inspiration.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead was an infommercial for juicers more than it was a documentary. If I were you I would skip the juice fast idea altogether and use MFP's tools to their fullest advantage and just eat real food that you enjoy at a sustainable and realistic calorie deficit.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I use a smoothie once in a while as a meal replacement but I don't think I could do stricly smoothies for a week.

When I make one I try to include a protein powder fresh or frozen fruit and some veg (I use spinach and baby kale because the they don't affect the taste - I like fruity) and I throw in some flax seeds and hemp seeds for whatever reason just cause I figure it's good for me.
  • gajones02
    gajones02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would skip the juice fast idea altogether and use MFP's tools to their fullest advantage and just eat real food that you enjoy at a sustainable and realistic calorie deficit.

^^^^This works great for me.^^^^
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would skip the juice fast idea altogether and use MFP's tools to their fullest advantage and just eat real food that you enjoy at a sustainable and realistic calorie deficit.

Agreed
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Agreed

Agreed yet again.

Rigger
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I have a green smoothie almost everyday, sometimes as a meal replacement or snack.. I love them..
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Why not? I have lost 70 lbs "using MFP tools" and am at a stand still. I have changed tons of things and tried a ton of new things but MFP isn't the end all be all of fitness and weight loss. It is a tool as you said, not a remedy, and what works for one may not work for another....and what works on day one may not work on day 2000. Counting calories frankly falls into a disordered eating pattern that I am trying to break. So what I did when I started my change is not the road to a healthy lifestyle for me.

I am not looking for a "fast" weight loss solution, I am looking to surprise my body and my digestive system to create change. I am looking to tap into the energy I should have with all the healthy habits I have created since 2011 but still seem to be lacking~ and yes I eat clean and work out regularly. After finally restoring my burned out adrenals, thanks to working out way too much for an extended period of time, I need to change something.

Thanks to all
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Counting calories frankly falls into a disordered eating pattern that I am trying to break.
    But drinking all of your calories for 5 days seems less disordered than just keeping track of normal food? (FYI most weight lost during these kinds of experiments comes right back on when you resume eating solid food.)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    If she wants to do a juice or smoothie fast, she will do a juice or smoothie fast.. She is simply asking which one is more beneficial. She doesn't need a lecture about whats right or wrong. I haven't done either but I would reccommend a smoothie just because its the whole food.. and it's easier than juicing. Again, it's up to you, your lifestyle and what type of machine you have.. Good luck.
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If she wants to do a juice or smoothie fast, she will do a juice or smoothie fast.. She is simply asking which one is more beneficial. She doesn't need a lecture about whats right or wrong. I haven't done either but I would reccommend a smoothie just because its the whole food.. and it's easier than juicing. Again, it's up to you, your lifestyle and what type of machine you have.. Good luck.

Very well said. I get frustrated when I ask questions on here sometimes. Just looking for what others may have done....not a lecture. I agree....I think the smoothie would be better in terms of nutrition, fullness, and whole food. Just my opinion. I just purchased Nutribullet yesterday and am loving experimenting with different things.