I feel stupid.

Options

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    What a great bunch of posts! Reading all your helpful suggestions and motivational responses made me remember why this is still a great site...HUGS for you all.
    sheldonhug.gif
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Is someone watching you do these workout DVDs?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Look ridiculous to whom?

I hate exercise DVDs. So I lift and I run instead. There are tons of ways to be active. If you don't feel comfortable with DVDs then search for a different activity.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Lift, run, bike, etc., just find something you enjoy.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with something that can just be silly and not worry about looking right. Wii Just Dance is just fun. Many are free on YouTube. Just dance along, start working up a sweat and be silly on purpose!!! No one telling you how it's supposed to look. Then, when you're in the groove move on to more "official" workouts.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I felt totally ridiculous when I first started taekwondo, especially because our building had a lot of windows and was on the busiest intersection in town so everyone could see! But I kept at it and was almost ready to test for my brown belt when my school closed. :( I got over feeling silly and I still miss doing it but there are no schools close to me.

Especially if you're all alone working out in your living room why would you care what you look like? I've done plenty of videos that make me feel silly but they also make me feel awesome and strong so I do them anyway. And if my kids laugh at me they know they will be joining me. ;) Plus I totally rock Just Dance even if I do look goofy.

Life's to short to worry about how I look doing things I love and I've found the people sitting out often just wish they had the guts to join in.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would much rather look a little foolish doing stuff that will help me shed lbs and get healthy, then just doing nothing and being overweight. But that's me.
  • Chelseraptor
    Chelseraptor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I felt that way at first. I'm still too embarrassed to join a gym or take a class somewhere, but I realized that I probably look worse with my belly hanging over my pants than I do flailing around my living room to a tae bo video. So I just pop in the DVD, close all the blinds, and banish my husband to another room in the house for an hour. It's not pretty, and I wouldn't ever want anyone to see me in action, but I guess it's just the price I have to pay for letting myself get so out of shape.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been there. I still can't exercise when my husband is in the room and I have to keep the blinds closed.
    Instead of thinking about how silly I must look, I try to focus on feeling the movement of my body and the flexing of muscles to make sure I'm really doing the movement properly. Focusing on my breathing helps too.

Edit: feeling silly is what also kept me from doing some of the freee classes at the gym. I love bodypump but I can not stand I front of a mirror lined room for an hour while exercising.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    :laugh: This really gave me a laugh today. You see, when I am kickboxing or doing a cardio workout - IN MY HEAD, I look as awesome as the people on the video. It's always a surprise to me when I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror or glass covered picture. I'm all :noway:

But, to reiterate what others have said: You're at home. You're doing something to improve your health. If you enjoy it, keep going and don't worry about the couch or lamp watching. If you are not enjoying it - expand your horizons and try different things. I'm stuck on running and lifting now. I had never been interested in either until I tried them.

Good luck!
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I feel absolutely stupid and ridiculous swinging my arms around, bending over with my butt in the air, kicking my legs and all the rest of the movements these cardio videos have you do. I just can't. I just can't get over how ridiculous I look in my mind's eye. It's actually prevented me from finishing this video I tried to do for cardio today.

How do you get over feeling like you look foolish and just do what you need to do?

If you think you look ridiculous being fat, then don't complain and get it done.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Go do an exercise class then...you can look silly with a bunch of other people :smile:

I honestly don't care how I look. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and did aerobics yesterday. I probably looked silly with my big belly, but do I care? I'd look even more silly if I turned into a huge beached whale this pregnancy!

If you're at home on your own, then it really doesn't matter how you look.
  • Jovette42
    Jovette42 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    To get something you've never had before you are going to have to do something you've never done before :flowerforyou:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Because I like the way I look now, better than I did 162 lbs ago.

But if you can't get past it, do something else. Swim, walk, cycle, whatever.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Ya, but no one will be laughing when your nearing goal weight....not even you.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Well...yeah...I blame it on neurological conditions though. My brain sends a signal to my leg and it ends up going to my arm.

I also have problems thinking that I am moving faster than the instructor but I am always a beat behind...can't figure that one out.

Then there is the part where opposite sides need to move at the same time...I still struggle with that one.

Ever heard that saying...use it or lose it? Mine just got up and left the building.

I try some videos and just think WTF are they talking about!

I just keep looking foolish and ridiculous...behind closed doors! What I am finding though is that after doing the video several times...it gets better. Now when I tell my body to move forward...it has stopped going sideways. Still struggle with that coordination of moving my right arm and left leg at the same time...I still look ridiculous.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Watching myself in the mirror helps me improve my form. Every time I try a new exercise, I look stupid at first. And then I improve.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Instead of a lot of strange cardio, I just lift really heavy stuff. :huh: I also make sure to make manly grunting noises, so that others in the gym know that I am lifting really heavy stuff... Hahaha!! :laugh: :noway:
  • IdealMel
    IdealMel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to get over these feelings. I'm working on losing 4 children's worth of weight and then it's on to college pounds! I agree with all the positive responses I've read here. I am just starting out, but here's what I've done so far...

I cover the mirrors where I'll be exercising. I don't know why I can't stop looking even though I know it bothers me.

I don't like the way my flab is so bouncy, so I figure why not wear a 'sports bra' for my body? I'm going to try tights or some spandex pants.

I walk at a fast pace instead of running or jogging. I figure it's better for my knees until there's less weight coming down on them. Right now snow is getting in the way, so I try to get my exercise by shoveling and sledding with the kids.

I am so out of shape and stiff that I'm starting out slow and working on my cardio dispersed in 1-5 minute segments throughout my day. Until I feel I can get through at least 10 minutes of video. I go down to the basement to do laundry and jump rope or use my step for a few minutes, etc. I go down to put it in the dryer, do it again. I also feel more confident in the basement because concrete doesn't squeak.

I also find that saying positive things to myself aloud has a greater impact than just thinking them. It's as if my brain thinks someone else is saying it to me. It feels dorky, but it helps to override the negative comments I've been storing in there from myself and others throughout my life.

You are already doing an awesome job just by being here! Glad to have you on board!:flowerforyou:
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I know how you feel! The first day I worked out, I puked afterward. I could hear my belly flapping around and I felt like if you harnessed my flab, you could power a small city for a year. I just decided that because I'm doing it at home, who cares? I'm in the basement and nobody can see me, so I'm going to just look stupid because it will get easier.

I started imagining that when my belly jiggled, the fat cells would hit each other and explode. Total Death Star destruction! The image amused me enough to work out the next day. Soon, my pants were falling down during my workout!

Now, I'm 68 days in and I've lost over 20 inches overall and have lost nearly a third of my goal!

How did I get over the silly feeling? I just posted pictures around with motivational sayings and pictures of clothes I want to buy when I'm my goal. I yelled at Jillian and pushed harder to show her I could do it no matter what she throws at me. I set mini-goals during my workouts that I would do "just one more" than last time.

It gets better. It won't get better if you don't keep trying, though! You can do this!!

Pow go the fat cells! I like that. Made me smile.

And to the rest of you, your input has helped a bunch. THANKS VERY MUCH!

I talked to my b/f (online) when this happened. I figured I should switch videos, because 1.) it really was just standing around flapping my arms and legs and getting NO increase in heart rate and 2.) that's what was rediculous about it--looking silly (in my mind's eye only) and getting no percieved results.

I switched to the 30DS which kicked my butt the first two times (couldn't do all the push ups, felt craptastic for it). I got through ALL the push ups (felt much better for it), and I did most of the first set of the jumping jacks (until my knee started hurting) and then I did modified versions of them and the other jumping moves. I felt better for it.

Thanks for listening to my downs and subsequent up. :-)

I really do need to look at my finances and find a dance class. The Tribal Fusion Belly Dance class I took was quite fun and made me get up and move for 30 - 45 mins a day. I need a change up, though.