Egg whites- pre-bought or not?

Hey! I'm just wondering if it's better to use whole eggs and throw the yolk out or purchase cartons of egg whites. I would think that the packaged egg whites had added hormones or preservatives added. But I feel bad throwing out an egg yolk.

What would you recommend?

Replies

• Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    I would like to know this answer too. Wondering which is most cost effective as well
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I buy both. I don't avoid the yolks, but sometimes I just want to add egg white, so I have the cartons from 2chicks. As far as I know there's no added hormones (is that a weird thing to think?). The contents are listed as egg whites and guar gum for thickening.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    There are cartons of egg whites? :huh:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I buy the Omega 3 enriched eggs to eat whole and the regular whole eggs for the whites. Works out cheaper.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    eggwhite2R.jpg

You've never heard of them? :huh:

The only times I use just the whites is for baking, and for that I usually use Wilton meringue powder and cut back a little on the sugar since it's already sweetened.

ETA: You can freeze egg yolks. Put a single yolk into each ice cube tray compartment to freeze, then put them in a plastic bag. Make custard with them later. Mmmm, custard...
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    I buy the cartons just because it makes it easier.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    You can freeze the yolks.
  • CharliLarlie
    CharliLarlie Posts: 10 Member
    I find that fresh eggs are cheaper and you can just toss the egg yolks. That's how I do it. A friend suggested it to me when i said I was buying egg substitute.She had actually done a comparison of the store bought over the fresh.

Also, if you are cutting back on dairy, you can use tofu as an egg substitute. I just found that out this morning. Check info on "3fat Chicks On a Diet" at http://www.3fatchicks.com/how-to-use-tofu-as-an-egg-substitute/ . or "About.com" at http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/eggsubstitute.htm.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    eggwhite2R.jpg

You've never heard of them? :huh:
    Nope. Guess I'm just a simple gal. :bigsmile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I buy cartons of egg whites for when I need egg whites. I don't ever waste egg yolks, too delicious and nutritious.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Egg white cartons don't require preservatives because they are pasteurized. You could drink it straight without fear of salmonella. Costco sells it in bulk so for the cost of a carton of whole eggs, you get 3x the egg whites. From what I understand, it's more cost effective and safer for raw egg white drinkers. They should last a few months in the fridge.