losing weight while pregnant

Options
2»

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk away the pounds is a GREAT program! The easy walk (1 mile, 17 minutes) and brisk walk (2 mile, 30 Minutes) sound like viable options for you. Record what you eat religously... Then review to see where you can cut calories, and choose healthier options. You can do this in a painless, safe manner! BTW i was in a serious car accident in 2000 (multiple pelvic fractures) and I am able to do this easily now.

Some ideas:

Breakfast:

Fat free Lite yogurt 6 oz. (around 80 calories)
    Fiber one cereal original 1/2 cup (60 calories)

Snacks:

Light Cheese Sticks (50 calories) (can also place in tortilla and heat up in microwave for a yummy treat)
    Laughing cow spreadable cheese (35-45 calories per wedge) with light crackers or a tortilla. Lots of yummy flavors!

Dinner:

Use ground turkey, and chicken instead of pork or red meat. We do not even notice the difference anymore.

Salmon: Cut into 3 oz portions, dash with lemon juice, sprinkle cajun spices, add a very thin pat of butter, and broil for 10 minutes. Better than any restaurant, PROMISED!

Also www.hungrygirl.com is a great resource!

Good luck!

Jeanine
    :flowerforyou:

That doesnt sound like enough calories for someone who isnt pregnant
  • irishcailin2012
    irishcailin2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. The unit is a midwife led unit attached to the hospital.
    When I had my first daughter I only gained about 10lbs and the tiny bump I had
    Was gone straight after giving birth. Back then though I was about 2 stone
    (28lbs) lighter than I am now! I've also had 2 miscarriages and been through
    Alot in my life and unfortunately comfort ate - I know thats no excuse though!! Oh here in ireland
    We dont get to see an obgyn! Actually care is quite bad, we only get 1 scan
    Throughout entire pregnancy which I just had and I had to fight for that one!!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think like other posters have said; obviously, consult the dr. BUT something I would say just as a piece of advice is don't diet, but maybe took a look at how you were eating prior to getting pregnant, and really consider what habits/foods caused the weight gain. You maybe have "bad habits" that you could change while pregnant and wouldn't put you or your baby at risk. An example that I could think of would cutting out soda (it's calorie rich and nutrient-less). Ditching soda, by no means, would harm your baby.

I would change my mind set from thinking, "I need to lose weight" to "I don't need to gain as much as other people." If you are already overweight, in the US, it is suggested to gain less weight (15-20 lbs I think); whereas, if you are at a "normal weight," you should gain somewhere between 25-35 lbs (I think; you might want to google those #s to get a better idea).

It is recommended, in the US, to continue the exercise that you were doing pre-pregnancy (pregnancy isn't the right time to start a serious workout program), BUT walking isn't a serious program that is going to cause a tremendous amount of stress to your body. If you have already had one child, you already know what it is like to be pregnant. So let your body be your guide as far as light/moderate exercise.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I was pregnant but only because I threw up every day and was nauseous 24/7. Not a pleasant way to lose weight.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I was pregnant but only because I threw up every day and was nauseous 24/7. Not a pleasant way to lose weight.

This!! Hyperemesis is no joke!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's not recommended to diet while pregnant. Speak with your doctor.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000603.htm

Diet no, but exercise Yes!
    The guidelines for exercise are generally that if you did it BEFORE you got pregnant (regularly) you can keep doing it, but don't start anything new while pregnant -- especially if it's strenuous.

Which is why I suggested low impact aqua classes or yoga specifically for pregnant women... which exist specifically to help pregnant women stay active which can be beneficial to the pregnancy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not recommended to diet while pregnant. Speak with your doctor.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000603.htm

Diet no, but exercise Yes!
    The guidelines for exercise are generally that if you did it BEFORE you got pregnant (regularly) you can keep doing it, but don't start anything new while pregnant -- especially if it's strenuous.

Which is why I suggested low impact aqua classes or yoga specifically for pregnant women... which exist specifically to help pregnant women stay active which can be beneficial to the pregnancy.
    Unless you are her doctor and know her specific needs and medical history, you should not be suggesting anything. Even non-pregnant people should't just jump into yoga. It is not easy and it can result in SERIOUS injury.

And there may be extenuating circumstances that make even low-impact water exercises a bad idea. You don't know anything about this woman except that she's pregnant and wants to lose weight so she can give birth in a specific place. For all you know, she's a perfectly healthy weight or has a serious medical condition. Maybe not. But you don't know her and considering that she came to a weight loss message board full of strangers to get advice instead of asking her doctor in the first place, the only advice she should receive or follow is to talk to her doctor, since she didn't think of it herself.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Oops DP
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. The unit is a midwife led unit attached to the hospital.
    Alot in my life and unfortunately comfort ate - I know thats no excuse though!! Oh here in ireland
    Do you have access to an accredited dietitian? They would advise you not to diet to lose weight but they could help with diet to make sure you maintain suitable gains throughout your pregnancy. Do you get a chance to be reassessed at a later date? You might fit into the category down the track.
  • butterrum13
    butterrum13 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Like what everyone else said, check with your doctor before you do anything. With my #3 I was plenty big enough to begin with (235) and I lost throughout my first and early second trimesters (not on purpose). My OB was not at all happy.
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    JeanineLaymon1970 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk away the pounds is a GREAT program! The easy walk (1 mile, 17 minutes) and brisk walk (2 mile, 30 Minutes) sound like viable options for you. Record what you eat religously... Then review to see where you can cut calories, and choose healthier options. You can do this in a painless, safe manner! BTW i was in a serious car accident in 2000 (multiple pelvic fractures) and I am able to do this easily now.

Some ideas:

Breakfast:

Fat free Lite yogurt 6 oz. (around 80 calories)
    Fiber one cereal original 1/2 cup (60 calories)

Snacks:

Light Cheese Sticks (50 calories) (can also place in tortilla and heat up in microwave for a yummy treat)
    Laughing cow spreadable cheese (35-45 calories per wedge) with light crackers or a tortilla. Lots of yummy flavors!

Dinner:

Use ground turkey, and chicken instead of pork or red meat. We do not even notice the difference anymore.

Salmon: Cut into 3 oz portions, dash with lemon juice, sprinkle cajun spices, add a very thin pat of butter, and broil for 10 minutes. Better than any restaurant, PROMISED!

Also www.hungrygirl.com is a great resource!

Good luck!

Jeanine
    :flowerforyou:

That doesnt sound like enough calories for someone who isnt pregnant

I was only suggesting some healthy snack and alternatives. She should of course consult her OB. I have had gastric bypass, so my daily intake is around 800 calories. I supplement my food with protien drinks and many vitamins. All according to doc and nutritionst. :)
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    Options

Wow! That is shocking. :(
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    Options
    Had to add something after seeing the other posts. If you gain too much weight while pregnant, it is unhealthy for the mom AND the baby (speaking from someone who gained 100 pounds during pregnancy). Dieting while pregnant when your BMI is too high is perfectly okay. Make sure you discuss your plan with the OB, to ensure everything is good for baby. But exercise and eating healthy ARE GOOD FOR PREGNANCY AND THE BABY!!!! I think people are freaking out because of the "D" word (lol diet).

J
    With all due respect, advising someone who is pregnant to lose weight at all, whether they have a high BMI or not, is bad advice.

Her doctor needs to advise her.

That said, a friend told me about when she was pregnant and lost weight due to nothing she did. She was under her doctor's very watchful eye and told she'd have to go the hospital if she lost anymore weight. She was miserable.

I did not advise her to lose weight, I suggested healthier eating, and a light, low impact exercise. I aslo suggested to check with her OB...
  • Clareel
    Clareel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hun do you have a slimming world group nearby? have a look here if you're not sure http://www.slimmingworld.ie/joining-a-group/nearest-group.aspx

It is a weight loss club but is accredited by the royal collage of midwives and you are able to follow the plan whilst pregnant. It focuses on healthy eating balanced eating and doesn't eliminate any food groups. It might not be a case of you needing to lose weight but maintain your weight throughout the pregnancy.

Other than that defo speak with your DR or midwife regarding suitable exercise but as others have said something low impact like swimming or walking is going to be the best whilst you're pregnant.
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have never been pregnant, so take my advice with the knowledge of my complete lack of experience BUT...

Don't diet.

Now, I don't know your eating habits. But you could try cutting out all sweets, eat more veggies and fruit, use ground turkey instead of red meat. Basically, just eat 100% healthy without cutting back on calories. And try some of the exercises that are out there for pregnant women. It is only 4lbs, not 20lbs, so there is a good chance you can do it without even having to worry about dieting. And drink plenty of water.
  • ssime1980
    ssime1980 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Slimming World is safe for pregnant mothers to follow. Unlimited healthy food but limited unhealthy food.