Today I reached my "goal weight" ...

Options
... but I don't look how I thought I would. I am thin now though. But are we ever completely satisfied by the way we look? For those who felt that way once you reached your goal, how did you decide if you were being nit picky or actually needed to lose a few more pounds?

Edit: Okay, actually I'm .6 away from my goal weight, but to me that's close enough to get into the to maintain or to keep losing debate with myself

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    congrats on meeting your goal! you look great btw :flowerforyou:
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!! WAY TO GO!!!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    When I hit my goal weight I also was'nt where I wanted to be, so I kept going. Since then I've lost almost 20 more pounds and am now in maintenance :)
  • AnnACnd
    AnnACnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Me too! I remember being this weight a few years ago and I was content totally!
    Now I nit pick and struggle with being content. I think I'll work on getting more fit and
    Not focus on the 'weight'. :)
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I have this issue too. There are a few possibilities. First, maybe your goal should be lower. I don't know you, so I can't tell. I determined that that was not the case for me by choosing an "objective measurement." In my case it was getting my body fat measured. For you it might be that or waist measurement or clothing size or just BMI.

So, let's assume option 2. Your goal was right for you, and you're there! Nice! Now you want to look better. Apparently the best way to do that is weight lifting, but honestly any exercise that builds muscle would be good for you. Also keep in mind that it can be hard to see what you really look like, so keep in mind that if you maintain your current weight for six months, either all that muscle you build will help you look and feel better, you'll start feeling better on your own, or...you can always go back to a mild deficit later and trim down further.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

After I hit my goal weight inches came off, even though I wasn't exercising hard enough for them to. My body has continue to reshape itself over the last 9 months.

If you work out, it will happen faster and you will look better and be healthier. It's not all about weight.

And just ENJOY it. It's not just the mirror. It's how you feel when you inadvertantly touch your body and realize those ribs and hipbones are YOURS.
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    First of all: Well done!

Sometimes we don't set our goal weight as low as we want, as it seems impossible to ever get to that stage. I know I set a number of mini goals before my 'actual' Goal- in that case it is fine to keep on going. I have now moved my actual goal by 3 kilo's, as I am not perfectly happy yet either.

Also, loosing weight is does not mean you are instantly as beautiful as you want to be- I lost 22 Kilo, but my head will always look round and chubby, as that Is my shape. Some people are obese, but still have a beautiful slim face- which can be very annoying when you have been working so hard to look good.

However- having seen how fab you look on your pics, I think it is more to do with your self image. You don't think you look good/thin enough, where the rest of the world probably does!

Enjoy being at Goal weight- it doesn't mean you have to stop exercising or watching your weight. However, don't be too strict on yourself. You look fab!
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I have this issue too. There are a few possibilities. First, maybe your goal should be lower. I don't know you, so I can't tell. I determined that that was not the case for me by choosing an "objective measurement." In my case it was getting my body fat measured. For you it might be that or waist measurement or clothing size or just BMI.

So, let's assume option 2. Your goal was right for you, and you're there! Nice! Now you want to look better. Apparently the best way to do that is weight lifting, but honestly any exercise that builds muscle would be good for you. Also keep in mind that it can be hard to see what you really look like, so keep in mind that if you maintain your current weight for six months, either all that muscle you build will help you look and feel better, you'll start feeling better on your own, or...you can always go back to a mild deficit later and trim down further.

this
  • CitronAtomique
    CitronAtomique Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    After I hit my goal weight inches came off, even though I wasn't exercising hard enough for them to. My body has continue to reshape itself over the last 9 months.

This.
    Congratulations on reaching your goal weight.
    It's hard to relax about food after all this time. Trust what you've learned along the way. Your body will continue to change over the next few months, even if you don't lose more weight.
    Give it awhile and then decide if you need to lose more. You don't want to lose so much that you're "dieting" for the rest of your life. You want to be in a spot that allows you to eat and be satisfied, not hungry, and look good.
    You look great, by the way.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This really depends on what the reasons are that you feel this way. If you have not been lifting weights, you may want to add that. You will be amazed by the difference it can make. I lift weights and I'm also a dancer (you can see my profile pics if you want). I like Strong Curves by Bret Contreras (bretcontreras.com). That book will help if you are wanting a more firm, rounded, curvy booty. The main difference between his program and all the others is that he includes weighted hip thrusts. Personally those have been the best exercise for me. I also love deadlifts. Squats are also important. Also bent row. Overhead press and bench press or at least push ups. I also do glute kickbacks. There are many beginners programs to start with. At your age, you should see a lot of improvement (you are young). But, also work on the psychological aspect, to make sure you are not setting unrealistic expectations to look like an airbrushed, perfectly posed photo at all times.

Congrats!!!
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal. You look amazing! As to whether or not you should start maintenance without actually losing that .6 yet, go for it. I found that even after I began maintenance I lost another 5 pounds. Working out with light weights has been helpful for me to tone my body and give me back the arms I used to have when younger. I love that. Maintenance is a funny thing because, as with dieting, you will only get out of it what you put into it. Daily fluctuations happen, just like when you are trying to lose weight. If the weight goes up and stays up for a week, then you might want to consider either cutting back a bit or exercising a bit more. It's like being on a teeter-totter for life. Enjoy the ride.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This really depends on what the reasons are that you feel this way. If you have not been lifting weights, you may want to add that. You will be amazed by the difference it can make. I lift weights and I'm also a dancer (you can see my profile pics if you want). I like Strong Curves by Bret Contreras (bretcontreras.com). That book will help if you are wanting a more firm, rounded, curvy booty. The main difference between his program and all the others is that he includes weighted hip thrusts. Personally those have been the best exercise for me. I also love deadlifts. Squats are also important. Also bent row. Overhead press and bench press or at least push ups. I also do glute kickbacks. There are many beginners programs to start with. At your age, you should see a lot of improvement (you are young). But, also work on the psychological aspect, to make sure you are not setting unrealistic expectations to look like an airbrushed, perfectly posed photo at all times.

Congrats!!!
    I agree with all of this. I'd suggest looking up some of the lifting success stories on here. It's also a lot of fun! :flowerforyou:
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    when i reached my "goal weight" i was super excited BUT i didn't look anything like i used to at that weight. I still had high body fat! so i decided to make a new goal on just body fat but maintaining the scale!
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You look healthy. I say eat slightly below your goal to avoid panic if you go over on some days or if you don't get to exercise. Don't focus on losing. Just live healthy now. Eat well and workout even better!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!! Congrats on making your goal!! Hurray!! :)

I can't imagine why you'd not be happy with how gorgeous you look.

My advice. . . lift weights. If you want to lower body fat, then you've got to build muscle.
  • traciwaugh
    Options
    Congrats! It is awesome you hit your goal weight! Job well done.

I am going to give a different perspective than everyone else. When I had gastro bypass I started at 328 lbs and my goal was 150 lbs but when I got to 180 lbs I stopped. I stopped because I was content with my weight and size. I focused on exercising and toning so I could have excess skin removed. My doctor was okay with it and felt it was a solid plan. The question I asked myself before stopping was "Am I comfortable in my skin? Was I happy with how my clothes fit?" I was so I stopped. Since having two more children I have put more weight on and body has changed shape so I am back at working on getting off the weight. Once I hit my first big goal of 190 lbs I will decide if I should go on or shoot for 150 lbs. Remember exercising will tone and tighten things and change how your body looks without having to lose weight. Good luck in what you decide. I pray you are very proud of all the hard work you have done to obtain your goal weight. It is great!
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree you look amazing. If you are at a healthy weight, maybe just try working on fitness and not only weight loss. Congratulations, I hope to get there one day too!
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    you look great congratulations
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You all are so sweet! Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! I think I'll enjoy the maintenance life for a little and focus on strength and fitness like most of you have suggested and then see how I feel in a month or two :)