Eating more when working out?

Options
So today I ate a bit too much pasta, er way too much. I am on a poor person's diet and was starved but I decided to put some extra miles in and power walked 5 miles. (using leslie sansone's videos with the weights) and did about 40 minutes of yoga. So I burned quite a bit. Now, MFP is telling me I should eat more but that seems silly. I ate 1,322 today (I am 5"6 and 168lbs) And burned 650. Do I genuinely need to eat a bit more or am I fine?

Either way I will probably have some steamed veggies later as I will probably get hungry but I can't imagine eating another 560 calories.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is designed, you are meant to eat those exercise calories back. Your calorie deficit is already built into that total, you don't need to create a larger one.

Have some ice cream or peanut butter. Any caloric dense food will help you reach your goal quickly. It's all about moderation.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of opinion about eating calories back or not. Me personally, I eat the same number of calories regardless whether I work out or not (unless I do a ridiculous burn & then I eat some back). Saying that though, I'm not eating a stupidly low number a day either. I eat around 1700-1800 a day which is my TDEE - 20%
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP correctly, then you should eat the exercise cals back. As Ninkyou pointed out, your daily goal already has you at a deficit - this means you could eat all your calories every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. Burning off more cals through exercise leaves you with a much larger deficit, too large, and can cause you some problems over time.
  • lauraannnelson1
    Options
    Okay! No problem for me, I am actually getting hungry after that burn (i wasn't earlier) I just wanted to make sure. It seems I am eating SO MUCH but I guess that is what happens when you start burning a lot of calories. :) Thanks guys.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I ate a footlong sub for breakfast yesterday and had the best lifting day ever!! I was so shocked, I was literally the incredible hulkette, all thanks to extra bacon on my sub. So yes eat more if your body is telling you.
  • lauraannnelson1
    Options
    I ate a footlong sub for breakfast yesterday and had the best lifting day ever!! I was so shocked, I was literally the incredible hulkette, all thanks to extra bacon on my sub. So yes eat more if your body is telling you.

I guess that should be pretty obvious eh? Like, I can tell when I am legit hungry. I am going to go ahead and knock out 2 more miles (7 total today!) And then have some of the 15 bean soup with quinoa that has been cooking all day.