To Log or NOT to Log...on Thanksgiving day...

Options

Replies

• UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I'm logging... even if I go way over.
    Me too ~ if you ate it, you ate it - regardless if you recorded it LOL! :laugh: Not a judgement, but for me it's easier to see patterns if I log everything!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Log it. Holds you responsible for what you ate!!!

The whole reason why most people gain weight/get fat is cause they never did such.
  • biguglymouth76
    Options
    I allow myself one cheat meal a week, thanksgiving dinner will be my cheat meal. I read that cheat meals actually boost metabolism if they are used on a limited basis like once a week and it gives you a reward for eating clean the rest of the week.
  • numberscolors
    Options
    i'm SO not logging. i will watch my portions and try to fill up on healthier stuff (salad, baked yams, white meat turkey, etc.) and i won't eat to the point of physical pain. hahaha. but i don't want to feel guilty about anything on thanksgiving. the only thing i need to be accountable for on thanksgiving is cooking some delicious healthier options to add to the feast, enjoying every bite, and being grateful for everyone who is sharing the meal with me.
  • numberscolors
    Options
    i'm SO not logging. i will watch my portions and try to fill up on healthier stuff (salad, baked yams, white meat turkey, etc.) and i won't eat to the point of physical pain. hahaha. but i don't want to feel guilty about anything on thanksgiving. the only thing i need to be accountable for on thanksgiving is cooking some delicious healthier options to add to the feast, enjoying every bite, and being grateful for everyone who is sharing the meal with me.

but i also don't celebrate christmas, so i christmas dinner is not a worry for me. thanksgiving is my holiday meal.
  • tjislovinglife
    tjislovinglife Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    No way Jose!! Im going to eat pumkin pie with real whip cream yum:drinker:
  • blel0906
    Options
    I'm going to log best I can so I can assess the so called damage also for my own knowledge...i am however considering it a cheat day
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I won't be able to log much next week, since I'll be camping Thursday-Saturday for Thanksgiving. So I have no way to log those days, but I plan on making the most of the camping environment- going for lots of hikes, long walks on the beach, and swimming! lol... so I'm hoping that the added exercise will help offset the extra cals.

However, as a general rule, I DO log on holidays. Easter was my first big holiday after I joined in January, and it was REALLY important for me to log everything when I got home. I planned on going over, knew that I would, but it was really illuminating to see that even though I thought I ate SO WELL, I STILL went over my maintaining cals. What was scary is that I ate probably a third of what I used to eat on holidays!

So when it comes down to it, I say, eat as best you can, log it at night. Don't stress about it all day, but be reasonable and eat things in moderation. But seeing those numbers are really good so that you are aware of what you ate and how easily things can get out of hand! lol
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm logging. I'm not stressed about it, though. I'm going to stick with small portions and healthier options (white meat, bringing a salad, etc...). I'm also bringing healthy snacks and making sure to eat breakfast and a small lunch so that I'm not super hungry by the time supper rolls around. I'm working out in the morning, too, so I should be okay. I think that I can enjoy the meal without going nuts.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What do you gain by not logging it? I am curious if those that are planning to not log it do not log every meal or every day? Just seems really bad to not log a day and then be behind and really not knowing it.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Here's my plan:

I am going to log my food, but I am not going to get out a food scale or measuring cups - I will eyeball it. I also plan on only indulging in the foods I really love - mashed potatoes (which I will be making as they need to be dairy free, so I will be able to better control the junk that will go into them), turkey, and 2 slices of that icky (but yummy) canned cranberry sauce. I don't like sweet potatoes, don't like stuffing, and don't like pie, so those won't be a problem for me. I am also bringing steamed broccoli to the dinner and a fresh salad - both of which I will consume lots of - and am going to get a good workout in that morning and plan to take a walk after dinner.

I expect to go over my sodium, but I should be ok on everything else - the mashed potatoes are really the only thing I have a big weakness for at Thanksgiving, and I am committed to limiting myself to no more than 2 helpings of it (though I fill up quickly these days, so I might just have one - I just would rather overestimate than the other way around).
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    What do you gain by not logging it? I am curious if those that are planning to not log it do not log every meal or every day? Just seems really bad to not log a day and then be behind and really not knowing it.

I typically have a "cheat" meal every couple of weeks. I don't use it as an excuse to eat with wild abandon. Realistically, I won't be logging my food every day for the rest of my life... so it's an exercise in reality. I also think that it is healthy mentally to take a break every now & then. We are all trying to incorporate healthy living & eating into our daily lives... however, most are also here to lose weight which is very stressful. I will say that there is a fine line between having a "cheat" meal & using food as rewards. It's something you have to come to terms with & decide if you are not logging as an excuse to eat poorly & in excess. If that is the case... logging or not, you will not be successful.

Also, a "cheat" meal for me is eating typically whatever I want, but in moderation.
  • chickennotbread
    Options
    I'm NOT logging in. However i'm going to eat more sensible and have a little bit of everything instead of having a lot of everything.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided yet. I probably will because I want to see what aThanksgiving feast looks like on paper. But I will be good. Now that I'm learning portions it will help. I WILL BE HAVING SOME SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE!!!

The male host at the house I will be going to is disgustingly obese and he does all the cooking. I'm not saying obese is disgusting - it just looks that way on him.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

I typically have a "cheat" meal every couple of weeks. I don't use it as an excuse to eat with wild abandon. Realistically, I won't be logging my food every day for the rest of my life... so it's an exercise in reality. I also think that it is healthy mentally to take a break every now & then. We are all trying to incorporate healthy living & eating into our daily lives... however, most are also here to lose weight which is very stressful. I will say that there is a fine line between having a "cheat" meal & using food as rewards. It's something you have to come to terms with & decide if you are not logging as an excuse to eat poorly & in excess. If that is the case... logging or not, you will not be successful.

Also, a "cheat" meal for me is eating typically whatever I want, but in moderation.

You did a wonderful job of explaining 'cheat days'!

Overeating on occasion is good for your metabolism and for weight loss. When we take in the same amount of calories every day our metabolism adjusts. I believe that applies to exercise too. When you do the same routine everytime our bodies adjust and the workout goes stale. I noticed when I deprive myself of foods I love - including junk food - the cravings get worse and I give in by overdoing it. WE CAN'T DEPRIVE OURSELVES!

But I agree - everything in moderation!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    I won't be able to log much next week, since I'll be camping Thursday-Saturday for Thanksgiving. So I have no way to log those days, but I plan on making the most of the camping environment- going for lots of hikes, long walks on the beach, and swimming! lol... so I'm hoping that the added exercise will help offset the extra cals.

However, as a general rule, I DO log on holidays. Easter was my first big holiday after I joined in January, and it was REALLY important for me to log everything when I got home. I planned on going over, knew that I would, but it was really illuminating to see that even though I thought I ate SO WELL, I STILL went over my maintaining cals. What was scary is that I ate probably a third of what I used to eat on holidays!

So when it comes down to it, I say, eat as best you can, log it at night. Don't stress about it all day, but be reasonable and eat things in moderation. But seeing those numbers are really good so that you are aware of what you ate and how easily things can get out of hand! lol

Hey, that's cheating! You're supposed to be sitting at a dinner table until you stuff yourself then move to the recliner and pass out in front of the TV! :laugh: Just kidding!
  • leah660
    leah660 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :blushing: i will log on Thanksgiving however I'm not going to worry about how many calories something is. I am going to try and just 1 serving of my favarite foods but not go crazy. We will see how successful I am. I will be taking a nice walk after eating and maybe before to help but I expect to go over..........I don't mind going over on special occassions, as long as those special occassions don't become everyday occassions. I agree that we all need a cheat day and what better time than Thanksgiving.
  • boweg
    boweg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I plan on logging in my oatmeal that I am going to have for breakfast but then that will be it. (I dont want to lose my logging in count) I will try to eat less but I am not going to worry about it. I'll start again on Friday! :happy:
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I'm curious. I may try and do a prelog in that morning and see if it will help me stay on track. I don't plan on going crazy and I usually eat the same thing every year!!!
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I'll be logging....good or not, it will be accounted for :)

This is my 3rd Thanksgiving while on my healthier lifestyle. I already know my plans for the day.....lots of outdoor playing with the kids, my on plan breakfast, smoked white turkey breast, a nice big salad & minimal amount of whatever else.

We visit my in-laws in Florida for Thanksgiving & they won't let me cook anything but Christmas is at my house (everything is cooked much healthier lol)