Any Postpartum Ladies Trying to Lost Baby Weight?

Options
My name is Kristin. I became a mom in April 2013 to a wonderful little boy. Prior to pregnancy I was working out multiple times per week at a Boot Camp class. I was in good shape - muscle, healthy BMI, etc. I got lazy during pregnancy because I was so tired. I am now almost 10 months postpartum and need to shed this baby weight.

Unfortunately, I do not have time to resume Boot Camp classes due to working full-time and having a hubby that works full-time+ and weekends. So, I decided to start with my food intake! Abs are made in the kitchen, right!?!

My hesitation to cut calories and work out too much stems from fears of losing my milk - my son is still breastfed. However, I've only got 2 more months until he is a year old and will start drinking whole milk. Plus, I have just over 1,300 oz of breast milk in my deep freezer. That said...the fear of cutting calories is no longer valid.

My goal is to lose 30+ lbs of fat and gain 5+ lbs of muscle. My hope to to achieve this by summer. I am joining a gym very close to my house that offers daycare. This should help me be able to fit in some workouts every once in awhile along with better eating.

Replies

• beccyt24
    Options
    Hi, if im totally honest i would stick with the calorie intake nursing mums need until you stop breast feeding. And walk every day with the baby. Build upto an hour a day and maybe just 2 gym sessions per week,it will soon drop off! Im not an expert just putting what i think is best :happy:
  • kozlow27
    kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal calculates that I should consume 1,200 calories a day. I upped that to 1,600 calories to account for breastfeeding (based on how many ounces I pump/nurse a day). I would love to walk outside with baby but it is currently -1 F where I live...way too cold to go outside for a walk. I cannot wait for summer so we can get outside, again!!

I was planning on day weaning my little one by a year, anyway. So I think this might be a good time to start. He already gets bottles of breast milk at daycare and nurses at home when we are together.

It's such a hard battle between feeling good about myself and giving little one breast milk. But I know I will still be able to give him breast milk until a year, and seeing as my initial goal was 6 months, I'm happy with that.

Oh, and I'm thinking, right now, the most gym sessions I'd be able to fit in is one per week on either Saturday or Sunday.
  • NyeMye
    NyeMye Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am in the same exact boat as you. I still have three months of breastfeeding to go until my LO is 1 year. She was born in May. I would love to lose the 30 pounds of fat and gain the 5 pounds of muscle. I've been going to the gym the past couple weeks, and I can already feel a difference. It's so tough with the time constraints. Both hubby and I work as well. I just try to get to the gym after work for about an hour during the week, and on the weekends I take time off so that I can spend all of my time with my kids (I also have a 2-year-old).

I'm going to add you. Maybe we can help each other out!

And, from what I understand, abs are made in the kitchen, and that's where I'm starting, too. My milk supply has gone down when I've tried to eat less, but I'm feeling safer about it since my LO is eating more solids.
  • Kate548
    Options
    Me, me! Mine is 6 months old, nearly. Still breastfeeding and finding it so hard to lose weight. Feel free to add me, always looking for new motivational friends :)
  • beccyt24
    Options
    It will happen naturally, it can take upto 2 years for your body to recover child birth.
    I wouldn't worry to much ladies.
    My lil one in 3 in march and i breastfed until he was 6 months old and to be honest i didn't even think about shifting the baby weight until lil one was around 2! but what you gained while pregnant should fall off naturally.
    Good luck all
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My bubs are nearly 14 mths old, and this is the 2nd time I have tried to shift the weight (which piled on between attempts!)
    I found that while I didn't really put an awful lot on while pregnant, being time poor in the aftermath was a big deal. And still can be with 2 toddlers.

It's been too hot here to get out and walk as part of regaining my previous fitness, so I am focusing on my diet as the main cause of weight loss. As it cools down, I hope to get out more -and by then I hope to have dropped a few more lbs.

I haven't breastfed since the girls were tiny, so I have no feedback on that area, sorry. :-)

I am both excited and hesitant to see what sort of wreckage of my body has been left behind as the weight comes off.