Poll of the Day: Do You Actually Read Nutrition Labels?

Options

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    yes i do, its why i'm here. lol the first things i usually look for are protein, fiber, and calorie counts. then lastly, carbs and sodium.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yup, the ingredients list as well.

I tend to stick to eating the same stuff and most of that isn't processed so it's a rare thing these days.
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    Hahaha me and a work collegue played a game at lunch and "biscuits/crispbread" I could buy for lunches- we had about 10 options and compared calories, sodium and what the hell was in them (eg.. I chose a wholemeal product over the 'light' version purely because of the contents of the biscuit itself, plus it looked yummier than a boring white salada type biscuit and only 50kj difference!)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • jenbison
    jenbison Posts: 38
    Options
    Yes, I read nutrition labels and measure out my foods to the recommended serving size or more or less. I also read nutrition labels while shopping and try to avoid products with to much added sugar, sodium, hydrogenated oils, etc.
  • marvelscale
    Options
    Yeah, and I don't care if people look at me weird, I do it anyway :laugh:

In Trader Joe's I notice people looking at labels sometimes though.
  • meowchii
    meowchii Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I definitely do. Its a force of habit as a vegetarian and a person that does not eat high fructose corn syrup. I used to just pick up cans/boxes of food etc. and buy them and then I got home and read the label to find beef fat in coffee cakes or hfcs in kidney beans. Things I would never have thought would have been in thoes products so I did not check. I always read them now!
  • Jenny5977
    Jenny5977 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! I pay attention to the calories but also Sodium (I have to watch how much I eat due to swelling) and fiber.
  • amswanson3
    amswanson3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All the time. It has become an obsession almost. I'm that person that stands in the grocery store with a few different products comparing the labels to make sure I get the best option.
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    Are you kidding? Absolutely! Go for the most protein, least sodium, and fewest ingredients! Always! If I don't know what's in it, I don't eat it. It's very enlightening to compare the labels.
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read the labels. That's how I realized today that the MFP barcode reading for Yoplait Light Nonfat Peach Harvest (6 oz. snack size) didn't match the label on the snack cup. ;) Snack cup says 100 calories; barcode printout said 90. Go figure.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    obsessively.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I definitely get weird looks at the food market I go to. A single 24 yr old woman comparing different brands of the same product to figure out which has more fiber or which has more protien... then debating which I need more of in my diet. etc etc

I know there have been times - mainly in the freezer isle - people actucally comment to me saying things like "you shouldn't keep opening and closes the doors" or "Can you move it along so we can get by". I know I live in a busy city, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't take 10 seconds to decide what I want to put into my body.

Honestly my boyfriends thinks I have slight ocd about what I buy, but he doesn't understand that we all can't have the perfect body without trying like he does (he is one of those lucky ones).
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I always check every label. I check sugar, fiber, and protein and the ingredients. I have been doing it since I was a child, ....but my shopping training did come from a lactose intolerant celiac diabetic mother. Haha.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yup, I read them all. Takes me quite a while to buy my food, but luckily I find grocery shopping oddly relaxing, so I don't mind. :happy:
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed I do. Right now calories, carbs then check for fiber and sodium. Depends on how much of a rush I'm in and what the item is, for closer scrutiny (ingred list etc).
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Yup, ALWAYS read labels - primary purpose for me is to look for sugar grams, then for added chemicals and other crap.
  • cristaPsanchez
    Options
    I always read the labels on everything. :)
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yep...
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Gluten free so I must read labels or risk getting sick