Quick 100 Calorie Workout?!?

Options
So I came across a few things saying that doing this

-50 jumping jacks
-40 mountain climbers
-30 crunches
-20 squats
-10 Pushups

will burn 100 calories. Can anyone back this up? If I did this 5 times would I burn 500 calories? Honestly it dosn't seem quite right

Replies

• missdrizz
    missdrizz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's because it's not. It's a good quick set to help get your blood pumping, but it doesn't burn 100 calories.
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt it. It's not enough exercise or long enough to burn that many calories. It's better than nothing but definitely not what it advertises.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I doubt that is right at all. I sometimes wonder if the 150 calories I allegedly burn during my half hour jog in the morning is accurate.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Chances are the estimate is based on constant intensity, little to no rest, and a certain body type/level of fitness.

If you're already working out, just increase the intensity, if you're not... a circuit like this isn't bad, but unless you have a HRM you won't really know how many calories you're burning.

You can estimate with METs (jumping jacks = 3 METs, for example) but that's pretty inaccurate.
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First, anyone saying that some specific exercise exercise burns a specific number of calories is not taking into account the weight of the person doing the exercise. That's like saying a motorized vehicle gets 40 miles per gallon. Way wrong for a dump truck, and just as wrong for a Vespa. But just about right for a honda civic.

Second, anyone who says "there's no way anyone can burn that many calories" for a specific exercise is just as likely to be wrong.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    More internet magazine hogwash.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No but for a quick workout thats designed to burn calories I would suggest doing the 30DS as its high intensity and mixes strength with cardio. It varies how much it burns from person to person but I burn 177 calories over the 25 minute session.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends how overweight you are. If you're 300 lbs, probably.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    If you're really interested you'd get an HRM & would count from there.
  • epicdorgon
    Options
    MAYBE a 15 minute run/jog